Victor CD4-10 "Studio" Mods

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat OT...I have an Akai turntable (low end ~$50 in 1982) w/low capacitance tone arm wiring, a Shure V 15 Type 3 w/MR stylus and a Technics SH-400 CD-4 demod, I set the stylus overhang w/free protractor.

CD-4 works well, no sandpaper sound, some momentary distortion on the later (~1976) CD-4 discs due to the Shure cartridge missing most of the upper sideband of the FM carriers.

I recommend getting a Technics SH-400, I adjusted the front/back separation by ear (never had a CD-4 alignment record).

Kirk Bayne

It's a great demodulator for doing that with the controls right on the front. I believe most demodulator designers were only thinking of setting up the unit with a setup record and setting once per cartridge so the controls were often in inconvenient locations.

I was lucky and got mine several years ago for about 50 bucks before the demand increased.

Doug

I'm having trouble keeping AV gear I bought in the mid 2000s working, so I dread to think what it's like for vintage 1970s gear. Ironically all the pure stereo gear I bought in the mid 1990s is still working perfectly, as is my high end S-VHS deck from the same era.

Let's look at the pickiness of CD-4:
- A special stylus is required.
- The cartridge must output signal to 50KHz.
- The tonearm wiring and the cables to the demodulator must be low capacitance.
- Tracking error must be kept to a minimum.
- Vertical stylus angle must be correct.
- A CD-4 demodulator can pick up stray RF (e.g. from a cell phone)

I have gotten it to work, but not with anything I owned. And then events can easily disrupt it.
Sandpaper is caused by a worn disc carrier (e.g. from playing with a stereo cartridge) or low carrier level getting to the demodulator.
Snapping noises are caused by contamination of the grooves.

The biggest causes of failures for equipment are electrolytic capacitors failing and rubber belts going bad.
Also there is a place in a CD or DVD player that collects dust, which eventually keeps the pickup from moving to track 0.

Back