Victor / JVC - Japan CD-4 LP Differences

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
I found some Victor /JVC Japan threads by our man @steelydave; but not on CD-4. Please correct this if one is found please?

I've had some thoughts on the quality of these LPs for CD-4, specifically between the Victor and later pressings on JVC.
https://www.discogs.com/master/2291914-Takeshi-Onodera-Los-Onoderas-Rock-Drums-Free

The first pressing would be a black labeled album on Victor i.e. -CD4B 5012

https://www.discogs.com/release/20176804-Takeshi-Onodera-Los-Onoderas-Rock-Drums-Free
and the later JVC with an Orange label with a Catalog Number extension of an 'E'. - i.e. CD4B 5012E

https://www.discogs.com/release/24256247-Takeshi-Onodera-Los-Onoderas-Rock-Drums-Free
I'll need to measure and maybe even weigh the two LPs because I've gotten the impression that the earlier Black labeled Victor was a heavier vinyl than the later 'E' variety. I was curious about this for reasons of CD-4 pressing quality, especially as it relates to playback of the CD-4 and potential distortion/sandpaper effects.
But, I'll need to actually inspect the two variations to be sure, regardless, could there be quality differences?

Anyone have any knowledge about these differences?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the 'E' stood for 'English' or 'Export' but that's what they were for, sale outside of Japan. They tend to have English text/song titles on the back covers at the very least. I'm not sure how many there are as I don't think Mark's discography makes a delineation between the E and non-E versions. Many of the first 50 or so CD4B series have E variants, as do most of the first 30 or 40 CD4Ws.

The JVC CD-4 Cutting Center in LA sold these via mail order, and presumably they were sold elsewhere in the west too.

I can't comment on the sound quality of the 'E' vs. "non-E" (ie Japanese domestic copies) but it wouldn't surprise me if the domestic versions are better - I noticed that the domestic versions tend to have nicer, more elaborate packaging, like the two Glenn Miller Orchestra LPs for example, where the domestic versions have foil lettering on the front cover whereas the E(xport) versions just have white lettering.

Maybe this thread can serve as a place to aggregate comparisons of 'E' vs. 'non-E' copies of the same LPs, if anyone's crazy, obsessive dedicated enough to purchase multiple copies. I'm happy to do some detective work about how many of these LPs have 'E' variants if there's any/enough interest.

I always felt the 'E' variants were lighter (not quite Dynaflex caliber, but still not the same as the non 'E')

Did some measuring. I also don't believe I have the same albums of both Catalog Numbers; so take this with a grain of salt.

But, I do have this Victor #CD4B 5012
and this similar one JVC #CD4B-5033E

both from around 1972.

The Victor #CD4B 5012 weighed in at 142 grams and a thickness of ~.056 in. (taken with a Mitutoyo Dial Caliper ;))

The JVC #CD4B-5033E weighed in at 132 grams and a thickness of ~.056 in.

Interesting that the thickness is approximately the same but the weight is a good 10 grams less. But the Victor just feels heftier and stiffer in the hand also.

It could be nothing, but I always found it interesting - (aka - we be crazy 'round here!)

Last edited:
some of them were sold in the UK & Europe for sure since i've bought a few used copies off sellers in both this country and Germany who said they bought them new on import back in the day

-E are Export, without the Dog on the label that belonged to EMI-HMV in Europe. Can be found both with black label with a BIG jvc sticker on top, or with the orange label.

I always felt the 'E' variants were lighter (not quite Dynaflex caliber, but still not the same as the non 'E')

Did some measuring. I also don't believe I have the same albums of both Catalog Numbers; so take this with a grain of salt.

But, I do have this Victor #CD4B 5012
and this similar one JVC #CD4B-5033E

both from around 1972.

The Victor #CD4B 5012 weighed in at 142 grams and a thickness of ~.056 in. (taken with a Mitutoyo Dial Caliper ;))

The JVC #CD4B-5033E weighed in at 132 grams and a thickness of ~.056 in.

Interesting that the thickness is approximately the same but the weight is a good 10 grams less. But the Victor just feels heftier and stiffer in the hand also.

It could be nothing, but I always found it interesting - (aka - we be crazy 'round here!)
the vinyl thickness things a load of old balls i reckon and its sad to see the oft-maligned Dynaflex LPs getting rubbished online because i have some Stereo Dynaflex records that sound absolutely amazing and better than later represses on regular vinyl

19979-ForumRunner-20151129-134252.jpg

ahh that's a lovely big run out groove, that's bound to playback well 🥰 such a shame the domestic labels often insisted on pressing their CD-4's louder than the Japanese, way too many are cut way too close to the label for comfort.

anyway, back to the topic in hand, i'll get my Japanese discs out of storage and report back on findings 👍

Back