VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to add the latest Brand X Blu-ray video, “Brand X Live: The Rites of Spring Festival 2018“ which has a wickedly good 5.1 surround audio track, mixed by their original engineer from the 1970s, Stephen W Tayler
a096bbb01c66c5fde68ac5a955bd929c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a bit more complicated than that - I have the 2-disc versions and I have successfully ripped surround versions of Love Of My Life, Back Chat and Calling All Girls (and all the mixes are equally stellar).

Greatest Video Hits 1 has these tracks -- and ONLY DISC 1 is remixed to 5.1 (which is a pity...'Now I'm Here' begs to be mixed to surround)
Disc 1: Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Killer Queen, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, You're My Best Friend, Don't Stop Me Now, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Somebody to Love, Spread Your Wings, Play the Game, Flash, Tie Your Mother Down, We Are the Champions
Disc 2: Now I'm here, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, Love of My Life, We Will Rock You (Fast Live Version)

Greatest Video Hits 2 has these tracks -and again ONLY DISC 1 is remixed to 5.1 (with some possible exceptions on Disc 2)
Disc 1 - A Kind of Magic, I Want It All, Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free, Breakthru, Under Pressure, Scandal, Who Wants to Live Forever, The Miracle, It's a Hard Life, The Invisible Man, Las Palabras de Amor, Friends Will Be Friends, Body Language, Hammer to Fall, Princes of the Universe, One Vision
Disc 2 - Back Chat, Calling All Girls, Staying Power; live from Milton Keynes, 1982, "Who Wants To Live Forever" (alternate version), Montreux Golden Rose Pop Festival, Interviews, including one with Freddie Mercury., A Kind of Magic section Volume 3, Montreux Golden Rose Pop Festival, Interviews, One Vision documentary, 'Extended Vision' video, Interviews, 'Making of The Miracle' documentary, 'Making of The Miracle Album Cover' documentary, Bonus video: Who Wants to Live Forever for the Bone Marrow Donor Appeal

I presume no further restoration work was done for the second version?
If so I'm thinking I'd rather just get Greatest Video Hits 1, for the vintage videos on Disc 2 (not remixed to surround, alas).
If memory serves, the footage was all restored for the second version (2012) so quality is better, but at the same time everything was made to be 16:9 (thus losing some of the picture), which is just ridiculous. So a bit of a mixed bag there. I really mostly care about the audio, and so can only vouch for the second version (mixes and fidelity are both superb). Not sure if there's any difference there with the original DVDs. Of course both sets are missing tracks from Innuendo and Made in Heaven (I think a 3rd volume was planned and never made it out), which is such a shame.

Side note, I just listened to Freddy Mercury's solo collection for the first time a few minutes ago, and was very pleasantly surprised. While there's only a Dolby Surround option, it all sounds great and the mixes are also quite exciting and very discrete (and it includes a couple of songs that were re-recorded for Made in Heaven as well).

Last edited:
World Shut Your Mouth – 18 Alternative Videos on DVD. The sleeve proudly states that it has a “new 5.1 mix”.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-World-Shut-Your-Mouth/release/484506

This is a collection of mainly early 80s UK indie. It’s a generally very good selection. Unfortunately, it is mainly stereo + reverb. I thought I could detect discrete rear action on the Jam, Squeeze, Style Council and Soft Cell tracks, but I suspect that may be due to filtering the stereo, because the mix is very blurry and unsatisfying. The Untouchables seemed like a proper 5.1 mix but nothing too exciting, and when I ripped to flac and viewed in Audacity it didn’t seem discrete.

But... The Art Of Noise track is in fact their big hit, Close To The Edit (not Beat Box as listed) and is in proper 5.1 – in fact the rears are a bit loud. I attach a screen print of the waveforms. Used copies are very cheap on Amazon UK so possibly worth picking up just for this one track, depending on your taste.

If anybody else has this and can point me at a good mix I've not noticed, I'd love to hear.

qq.jpg

World Shut Your Mouth – 18 Alternative Videos on DVD. The sleeve proudly states that it has a “new 5.1 mix”.

This is a collection of mainly early 80s UK indie. It’s a generally very good selection. Unfortunately, it is mainly stereo + reverb. I thought I could detect discrete rear action on the Jam, Squeeze, Style Council and Soft Cell tracks, but I suspect that may be due to filtering the stereo, because the mix is very blurry and unsatisfying. The Untouchables seemed like a proper 5.1 mix but nothing too exciting, and when I ripped to flac and viewed in Audacity it didn’t seem discrete.

But... The Art Of Noise track is in fact their big hit, Close To The Edit (not Beat Box as listed) and is in proper 5.1 – in fact the rears are a bit loud. I attach a screen print of the waveforms. Used copies are very cheap on Amazon UK so possibly worth picking up just for this one track, depending on your taste.

If anybody else has this and can point me at a good mix I've not noticed, I'd love to hear.

View attachment 38313

maybe taken from the Daft MultiCh SACD?

https://www.discogs.com/Art-Of-Noise-Daft/release/432382

I've not got that, but it could be. Though this DVD version is only about 4 mins long so it would have to be an edit. And of course this is synched to the video. But if you're lucky enough to have the Daft SACD it makes this even less enticing.

good point about it being an edit, according to Discogs the track is longer on the SACD. anyhoo, i'll run the SACD thru Audacity and see if the waveforms at all resemble those on your DVD, it may be a unique mix altogether.

View attachment 38313

its a different mix! :SB
i say mix.. the one on the SACD is quite frankly 5-ch Stereo crap. Rears are muted doubled up Fronts, Centre and LFE even more muted amalgams of all that guff. what a waste!

4E052CC6-FCF8-4E87-9283-2E4FBD7DACF5.png

I've not got that, but it could be. Though this DVD version is only about 4 mins long so it would have to be an edit. And of course this is synched to the video. But if you're lucky enough to have the Daft SACD it makes this even less enticing.

just a quick aside, i went thru the whole Daft SACD and not one thing on it is genuine surround, its all double stereo fake rubbish. please don't waste your time or money tracking it down.

I have this! I didn't realise/remember The Art of Noise track was true surround - thanks for the heads up. The collection is remarkable to me for seeing Robert Smith pre-make up in the A Forest video.

just a quick aside, i went thru the whole Daft SACD and not one thing on it is genuine surround, its all double stereo fake rubbish. please don't waste your time or money tracking it down.
Thanks for that, it was on my "if I see it at a reasonable price" list. What a shame - a perfect band for proper surround and, as discussed earlier, one of the few post-1977 surround releases.

The collection is remarkable to me for seeing Robert Smith pre-make up in the A Forest video.
I pretty much wore out my VHS of their video collection. When I re-watched A Forest on the DVD I thought he looked very young and just put it down to me being older... but then I realised that he was only 20 when that video was made, so he really was young! I'd love to have some Cure in surround.

Meat Beat Manifesto ...In Dub 5.1 Surround DVD
https://www.discogs.com/Meat-Beat-Manifesto-In-Dub-51-Surround/release/252728

This is a DVD surround album, like the Super Furry Animals discs (see first post). MBM make electronic dance music and these tracks are, as promised by the title, at the dub end of the spectrum. Audition the album on YT:

Sound is DD but that’s not too much of a loss.

Mix is good at times, rubbish at others.

Video content is varied which keeps the interest up. I sat through the whole hour in one sitting without getting bored. (It’s listed as 120mins but I think they’ve added together the 5.1 and stereo versions!)

So, if you think the music is OK, and don’t expect too much, this is quite fun.

I’m in the UK, but got it cheap from a US seller.

Back