VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently I picked the wrong time to stop paying attention to Peter Gabriel. The album after Passion put me off. Next one sealed the deal.

I just discovered the Play video. I guess I should have been paying more attention because it turns out that it's not a video collection at all... It was an excuse to release 5.1 remixes of all those tracks! (Videos are there too as an aside.) There's a lot here to like! It's not everything. I expected more of and more from the "melting face" album tracks. What's there is still cool. I didn't expect the So tracks to be so completely interesting and listenable and improved and steal the show! Too bad literally the best 2 tracks from So aren't included (We Do What We're Told & Excellent Birds)

So now we have the following real or very good 5.1 (alphabetical, with my notes in red):
  1. Paul Weller - Modern Classics on Film (90-01) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (2 discs with over 4 hours of footage: live concerts as well as all his solo promo clips. Good mixing, but could have been better.)

I'm struggling to hear anything in the rears apart from reverb. Am I missing something? (I tend to ignore live stuff, so am concentrating on the studio promos, but even the live stuff is mainly audience up front?) If you like Weller, there is still a lot of content on this disc, but I only got it for the surround.

Male Or Female ‎– Primitive Reflections Twisted From Sound Dolby 5.1

Very good mix and fidelity despite the Dolby:

"A collection of industrial electronica that's quite varied, going from quiet disturbing synthesizer to crashing drums and electric-guitar screech-feedback"

R-260025-1439322303-5589.jpeg.jpg

Members of Industrial EBM group Front 242 with many guest vocalists.

Enigma -(2003)- MCMXC a.D (PAL) (DD-DTS 5.1)[DVDV]
Enigma -(2006)- A Posteriori (PAL) (DTS-DD 5.1) [DVDV]
Enigma -(2008)- Seven Lives Many Faces (DD-DTS 5.1) [DVDV]

EDIT: pretty sure the Seven Lives is NTSC, the other two are PAL., although Seven Lives did come in both formats, maybe the other two as well, haven't checked.

Last edited:
I wonder if your selection includes any of these titles:
Anthrax ‎– Anthrology: No Hit Wonders (1985-1991) The Videos
Extreme ‎– Videograffitti
Suzanne Vega ‎– Retrospective - The Videos Of Suzanne Vega
White Zombie ‎– Let Sleeping Corpses Lie

I've enjoyed all of them, as they're all 5.1 dts and sound brilliant (except for Extreme, as there was an extreme compression applied, IIRC - plus their 5.1 is Dolby Digital only), even though there's just some upmixing voodoo going on as they share the same credit - "Audio Resync and 5.1 Remaster: Chris Holden". Really curious about what your views would be like!
I recommend White Zombie - Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. The 5.1 mix is very well done, fully discrete and the sound is at a high level..... I don't recommend Anthrax, it's an upmix with a bad sound.

I'm thrilled to hear about your discovery of the DVD "Deuce" by Korn! As a fellow fan, I can understand your excitement. The fact that it features seven music videos with excellent Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes is truly intriguing. I've always appreciated how a well-executed 5.1 audio mix can elevate the listening experience, especially when it comes to bands like Korn who are known for their powerful and immersive sound. The thought of immersing myself in their music through the combination of captivating visuals and top-notch audio quality is truly enticing. I'll definitely make it a point to check out "Deuce" and experience these music videos firsthand. Thanks for sharing this exciting find!

I'm thrilled to hear about your discovery of the DVD "Deuce" by Korn! As a fellow fan, I can understand your excitement. The fact that it features seven music videos with excellent Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes is truly intriguing. I've always appreciated how a well-executed 5.1 audio mix can elevate the listening experience, especially when it comes to bands like Korn who are known for their powerful and immersive sound. The thought of immersing myself in their music through the combination of captivating visuals and top-notch audio quality is truly enticing. I'll definitely make it a point to check out "Deuce" and experience these music videos firsthand. Thanks for sharing this exciting find!

Mixed by Thom Cadley @ThomC who's a member here - check out the Surround Engineers tab at the top of the forum and type his name into the search box and you'll find many other great 5.1 mixes that he's responsible for!

@steelydave Thank you for the information! I appreciate the recommendation to check out Thom Cadley's other 5.1 mixes. I'll definitely explore the Surround Engineers tab and search for his name. Excited to discover more great 5.1 mixes from him and enhance my audio experience.

COLORS This channel features artists from all over the world performing their songs in a minimalistic setting, with vibrant backgrounds that match the mood of the music.

Recently came across a DVD by Korn called Deuce. There are 7 music videos which have excellent (Doly Digital) 5.1 mixes. Check it out if you're a fan.
I was excited for the 5.1 mixes, but was disappointed. The discreet signals were well done, but what ruined it for me was the sound leveling. The best example of this is ADIDAS: It starts out nice and loud, but when the lyrics start, it's like someone turned down my volume. Significantly. I'll have the edit them to undo this as much as I can.

I was excited for the 5.1 mixes, but was disappointed. The discreet signals were well done, but what ruined it for me was the sound leveling. The best example of this is ADIDAS: It starts out nice and loud, but when the lyrics start, it's like someone turned down my volume. Significantly. I'll have the edit them to undo this as much as I can.
Bought this cheap after seeing this thread, mixes are nice but I don't enjoy the whole behind the scene footage that only hardcore Korn fans should enjoy.

Back