VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barelaked Nadies verified fake.
Sometimes the BGV's pop from the surrounds, but if you check, they're also in the fronts substantially.
Nothing an upmix can't achieve IMO.
Though their arrangements tend to be sparse, especially in earlier videos, this is a missed opportunity with percussion, guitar overdubs and BGVs...
And weird, considering they have 3 MC DVD-As out. They could have borrowed those mixes?

This is the Cure live, supposedly multichannel, but I don't have my hopes up too much:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Cure-Trilogy/release/3402309
Anyone else have it?

(as a concert, it probably doesn't even fall into the video collection category, but what the hey)
I do, and I just put it on right now again, at your suggestion. It has the traditional ambience and crowd noise in the back speakers. Sounds pretty good overall though.

I do, and I just put it on right now again, at your suggestion. It has the traditional ambience and crowd noise in the back speakers. Sounds pretty good overall though.

Oh good! I have nothing against ambience and crowd noise in the rears for live music; seems authentic. Saw it by random come-across on Discogs, so I took a chance. It hasn't arrived yet. Maybe this bit of the thread should be moved to Frogmort's live concert thread?

I also ordered the Peter Gabriel live in Athens (which I saw mentioned, well, you-know-where).

Iirc there was a later Freddie DVD compilation of his video's (not the one with predominantly orange cover, which came out same time as the remastered Mr.Bad Guy & Barcelona CD set & big 10-disc box set) but another compilation. I never got it, so no idea what it's like but it's probably just a reissue of the 1st DVD-V comp.
I'm an Icehouse fan. I see this on Discogs but no mention of it being multichannel.

Icehouse (Originally know as Flowers): White Heat: 30 Hits

This is a 3 disc set (2 x CD + DVD). The DVD contains a good 5.1 mix but only DD AC3 448kbps - still nice to hear some of their Aussie classic hits in surround including Great Southern Land

Still available retail here: White Heat: 30 Hits

With an uncompromising approach to music production they created songs that ranged from pure pop escapism to edgy, lavish synthesised pieces. Icehouse has produced eight Top Ten albums and twenty Top Forty singles in Australia, multiple top ten hits in Europe and North America and album sales of over 28 times Platinum in Australasia alone. As of 2006, 'Man of Colours' was still the highest selling album in Australia by an Australian band.
I like Icehouse. Discogs has this but there is no mention of it being multichannel.

The Police Every Breath You Take The DVD. Had a quick listen today and the mixes are definitely discreet. Listening to Every Little Thing She Does is Magic it seems the mix is the same as is found on the SACD/DTS-CD. I personally think these mixes are quite conservative, but hey, it's better than ambience!

Available soundtracks are DD2.0, DD5.1 & DTS5.1.

Last edited:
Icehouse (Originally know as Flowers): White Heat: 30 Hits

This is a 3 disc set (2 x CD + DVD). The DVD contains a good 5.1 mix but only DD AC3 448kbps - still nice to hear some of their Aussie classic hits in surround including Great Southern Land

Still available retail here: White Heat: 30 Hits

With an uncompromising approach to music production they created songs that ranged from pure pop escapism to edgy, lavish synthesised pieces. Icehouse has produced eight Top Ten albums and twenty Top Forty singles in Australia, multiple top ten hits in Europe and North America and album sales of over 28 times Platinum in Australasia alone. As of 2006, 'Man of Colours' was still the highest selling album in Australia by an Australian band.
Wikipedia shows that this is DD 5.1 so I ordered one. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised !

Celine Dion - All The Way... A Decade Of Song & Video

I had referenced this DVD back in 2014, but want to confirm that it does feature true 5.1 mixes. This DVD is overlooked because there is much overlap with the All The Way... A Decade Of Song MCH SACD. However, this DVD does have a couple of songs that are not included on the SACD. For example, "Misled". Here is what the wave forms look like:
Misled.jpg

Wikipedia shows that this is DD 5.1 so I ordered one. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised !
Hey @Beefalo , did you ever get your hands on a copy of the Icehouse compilation? What do you think of the mixes? I remember liking a lot of the stuff that I saw on MTV back in the 80's. Their music certainly has the potential for good surround mixes.

I'm not Beefalo, but I play him on T.V. and I wasn't really impressed with the mixes I'm sad to say. I love the band's 80's and 90's output and I was extremely lucky to see them on their Man of Colors tour albeit as the opening act for The Cars on their horrendous Door To Door tour.

Hey @Beefalo , did you ever get your hands on a copy of the Icehouse compilation? What do you think of the mixes? I remember liking a lot of the stuff that I saw on MTV back in the 80's. Their music certainly has the potential for good surround mixes.
I did purchase the DVD. IMO the mix is Fake surround. The DVD had a stereo layer and that sounded better to me for awhile.
About halfway through the songs got really loud & compressed and I quit listening.
I wouldn't recommend this.
Too bad because I really like this band :(

There are a few Tangerine Dream live DVD's that are decent. One I really like is Rocking Out The Bats - Live at the Citadel - Spandau
I also like Live At The Alte Oper Frankfurt - One Night In Space. The DVD is DD 5.1, whereas the BD is stereo. Go figure! But I took the 5.1 from the DVD and put it on the BD, it matched perfectly and I was able to do it as one continuous track.
disclaimer: for private use only and I really don't know zilch from BD authoring, and that's the truth.

I have a video thread on SHF, and surround is one of the things I rate on. These are the ones I've given top marks to for surround so far:

Blackfield - NYC
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Gabriel, Peter - Play
King Crimson – Meltdown: Live in Mexico City
Kraftwerk – 3D 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...
Wilson, Steven – Home Invasion
Zimmer, Hans – Live in Prague

Last edited:
Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth). I thought I'd already mentioned this but can't find it anywhere so here goes:

Drift by Lee Ranaldo (DVD plus book) is discrete 5.1 with full visuals. So if you are a fan of Sonic Youth, definitely worth checking out. It's only DD, but that's not really a problem if you know the kind of sound that Lee Ranaldo makes. It's not a compilation but a full video album.

Btw, Corporate Ghost by Sonic Youth - DVD - is stereo only but is 48/24 PCM. Though the same caveat applies - these are people who play guitars with screwdrivers. Includes the whole of the Goo album, plus all later singles to 2004, with visuals. Plus extras. So amazing value compared to the usual cost of a Hi Res audio download.

Both can be found cheaper than original sale price.

Last edited:
Back