Video: Headphone X - Surround Sound over Stereo Headphones

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
In the latest edition of Home Theater Geeks on the TWIT Podcast Network, DTS Chief Technology Officer Fred Kitson talks about their new Headphone X system.
It uses Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) theory to convert up to 11.1 channel audio to playback over Stereo Headphones.

You can view/listen to the program by visiting

You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9fymwKVhqw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU7UTd0UR2WJc4TUSWLywRJQ

or the

Podcast Page at http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/167

I've played around with trying to "encode" surround to stereo for headphones with these techniques.
The thing is, there's a hole in our perception where it's impossible to perceive front from back. The "workaround" is to move or turn your head slightly to resolve the ambiguity. And this is the thing that's impossible to "encode". Not to suggest this is a worthless pursuit. Just that it would be compromised at best compared to the real thing.

Recent products for Stereo Headphones using HRTF have been quite impressive but they do differ a bit.

Beyer's Headzone product uses a generic setting as does the DTS Headphone X product. Smyth Research's Realiser, on the other hand, uses personalized measurements.

I've heard the Beyer and Smyth products and both are impressive - with Smyth delivering the best results. Far beyond what early simulators like Dolby Headphone had to offer.
Looking forward to hearing the DTS approach on this.

I've just downloaded the Z+ apps for iPhone and was very impressed with the results.

http://www.headphonex.com

The demo that has Hans Zimmer calling out the speaker positions is incredibly impressive and shows how discrete it is. At the moment, you can get a Z+ app (iOS or Android) for the 'Man of Steel' and 'Rush' soundtracks, so I'd like to be able to hear some other examples. Apparently Dave Stewart (ex of Eurythmics) has produced the video to his latest single in 4K video and 11.1 surround. Can't seem to find anywhere to experience that at the moment.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/v...ircus-in-every-single-night-premiere-20131004

Forgive my cynicism, but as good as it seems, I fear it will never take off unless adopted universally and we all know how that is as unlikely as a rocking horse taking a sh!t ;)

11.1 in the home? sorry, you can forget it!

Its hard enough trying to convince most wives/husbands/partners to put up with 5.1 speakers cluttering up the place, let alone another half a dozen of the bloody things!

..and.. do you know anybody with the room to accommodate 12 speakers, unless they were pointless little dinky toys?

I'd rather have Full-range 5.1 discrete music on real speakers than half-arsed diffuse 11.1 with ten tiny tin cans and a rumble box..! ;)

Its hard enough trying to convince most wives/husbands/partners to put up with 5.1 speakers cluttering up the place, let alone another half a dozen of the bloody things!

..and.. do you know anybody with the room to accommodate 12 speakers, unless they were pointless little dinky toys?

I'd rather have Full-range 5.1 discrete music on real speakers than half-arsed diffuse 11.1 with ten tiny tin cans and a rumble box..! ;)

The point of Headphone X is that they mix in 11.1 and then replicate that in your cans :)

But yes, 11.1 is for those lucky enough to have a dedicated room and a money tree ;)

11.1 is for the wealthy. Those who invest in a dedicated room for a theater, who else can afford 11 speakers? Unless as you say, dinky little shit's of a speaker that does highs only. Or take the attitude of 11 full range speakers! Can you imagine? Headphones can't punch me in the guts like my sub. And I love it! My neighbors are jealous, big tv-no audio to match.

The point of Headphone X is that they mix in 11.1 and then replicate that in your cans :)

But yes, 11.1 is for those lucky enough to have a dedicated room and a money tree ;)

Yes Rob, I get the point of Headphone X, I just think 11.1 itself is a total non-starter outside of installations of sizeable home theatres for obvious reasons and headphone listening doesn't seem the ideal way to introduce too many people these days to surround!? I dunno I could be wrong!

I did DL'd a couple of Z+ or whatever its called iPhone Apps, one was a Superman and the other a Batman thing.. nice idea, pretty mediocre results imhe.

I'm not a big headphone listener these days anyway (unless it's on the go, on the iGadgets) for a whole load of reasons I'm too knackered to go into right now! :p

It's similar to the Symth Realiser - without the personalized measurements.

Using HRTF theory, you convert surround sound music to 2 channel music with directionality cues.

In the Smyth's case, it reproduces up to 7.1 audio over Stereo Headphones - and quite well I might add. (I own one).

Back