Vintage Harman/Kardon 800+ Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LittleBirdie32

I have a vintage quadraphonic receiver I would like to sell, but don't know how much it's worth. It's a Twin Power Multichannel Receiver with a joystick for Sound Field Balance. The case is a fake wood grain (oak). It's in perfect condition and works great. I've got the original manual, too.
So, how do I find out how much it's worth? Where would I sell it?

The eBay on-line auction is the logical place to sell your unit. Be aware it is not one of the lusted-after goodies.

Past sales data indicates a wide range of prices, too variable to give you a guesstimate.

You need to include a picture of the unit to get the most bids.

My own experience with used Harmon-Karden receivers is that they do not age well. In other words, I don't bid on them.

You said that prices for the H/K receivers vary. What is high for one and what is low? Give me SOME idea! I'm totally in the dark.
My father-in-law bought it from Warehouse Sound Co. in 1974. We have been using this receiver in our home since 1985 along with 4 Dynaco Aperiodic Loudspeakers (A-25). The last time we had it in the shop for repairs was July 1986. Except for a few fingerprints that can be washed off, it is pristine.

Always wanted an HK800+ since 1974 and so far I've owned two of them! Both ended up dropping a channel and I have no faith in the local repair scene. I even had the 8+ Q8 deck to go with it which is now in the protective custody of one of the administrators here. NOTE: the last 800+ was sold to Lou Dorren (Quad FM pioneer mentioned here this week) last year.

As to the values, here's my experience: fixers seem to go for $25-$75 and nice ones have gone for $100-$150. I paid $125 for the cleaner one I had. eBay is best way to go I think.

I'd make you an offer but have since acquired a Marantz 4140 and my Proton D940 is coming home soon, so just no place for it at this time.

Good luck!

Back