Vintage Service Tech needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk3331/disc rider

I am looking for a local tech to service my quad components to include a Sansui QRX 6001 4 channel receiver and Akai GX 270D SS 4 channel R2R tape deck. I live in Jackson, Ms. and would be interested in talking with someone in Central Mississippi if possible.

I am also looking for someone familiar with the Bose 4401 preamp to go through mine and update it (it works now) Has the SQ and CD-4 boards in it but I have no documentation for them or how to set up the CD-4 properly. I want to use it to drive the discreet CD inputs on my Marantz 7013 receiver so I can play SQ and CD-4 surround on my Dolby Atmos setup.

I do not live in your area and have no idea what or who is available. That said, have you tried posting on your local sites like Craigslist? If you use their discussion pages you may get some more relevant information. Otherwise you are likely only to get reputable service by shipping or travelling. I do not know if there is a Bose forum you could also ask on. There is the Tapeheads forum, various audio forums and USAudionart.com . Here in Canada we have something called Kijiji, in the US I beleive it is something like EBay trading or similar. I hope maybe these suggestions can help you. All the gear you listed is worth working on and worth waiting for the right tech to work with you. Best of luck to you in your search.

Thanks. I was able to download the schematics for the main 4401 but still looking for info on the CD-4 decoder board, instructions or schematic. Want to find all the info I can now for any eventual service tech. I'll keep looking. I guess I need someone with a degree in audio archeology?

Thanks. I was able to download the schematics for the main 4401 but still looking for info on the CD-4 decoder board, instructions or schematic. Want to find all the info I can now for any eventual service tech. I'll keep looking. I guess I need someone with a degree in audio archeology?
I've always found Hifi Engine to be the best source of schematics/manuals etc. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/bose/4401.shtml you have to sign-up but its a huge database

I do not live in your area and have no idea what or who is available. That said, have you tried posting on your local sites like Craigslist? If you use their discussion pages you may get some more relevant information. Otherwise you are likely only to get reputable service by shipping or travelling. I do not know if there is a Bose forum you could also ask on. There is the Tapeheads forum, various audio forums and USAudionart.com . Here in Canada we have something called Kijiji, in the US I beleive it is something like EBay trading or similar. I hope maybe these suggestions can help you. All the gear you listed is worth working on and worth waiting for the right tech to work with you. Best of luck to you in your search.
Thanks much for the suggestions. They should prove to be helpful.

There are also other audio related forums like Audiogon and Steve Hoffman (mainly music but helpful) but be aware that you may have to sift past the "anti anything but 2 channel" crowd and take their replies with a grain of salt or a wee dram. I wish I could remember a few more but an internet search might yield a few more. I also invite others to post their favourite forums too. I almost forgot Vinyl Engine and thier sister site Hi Fi Engine. Hi Fi ENgine is more about schematics and is a very valuable free resource. They do require a log in, but I assure you the info you give goes no further than the administrator for both. Again, have a thick skin for the "anti anything but 2 channel" and you will be fine.

Yes I have the files from HiFi engine for the main unit and the SQ. I was hoping someone on here might have a 4401 CD-4 decoder plug in data or instruction sheet they could share. I'll keep looking.

New related question. Does anyone still make a cartridge with a Shibata stylus that will decode the CD-4 high frequency carrier?
I have a Technics SL1300 MK2 TT and an original Stanton 780 and a 680EL and an AT155 but I don't know how well these 30+ year old cartridges could still work? I know the styluses wear, but do the insides degrade over time also?

Back