Vinyl ripping - choosing (inexpensive) gear

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdheer

QQ Supporter
Hey there. To set the stage: I don't own a turntable, nor do I have a 2-channel setup (just my AVR). I'm interested in getting a USB-enabled turntable so I can rip some vinyl. I found the thread @GOS started, and I'm pretty sure I understand what needs to be done.

I just need help actually selecting a turntable. (I know there are better options, but my vinyl collection is small, and tbh I really just want to be able to listen to some of this music that isn't available digitally.) Does anyone have recommendations? The turntable GOS mentioned doesn't seem to be available.

Just understand that you will get very little of the recording intact from one of those rogue products. This should be more for fun than revealing or preserving a recording from vinyl. If you're actually after the fidelity preserved in the grooves... the gear is not cheap. The USB consumer products in this arena are pretty much all novelty. There are vinyl rips shared on the internets, FYI. They range from novelty (or worse) to fully professional transfer quality. I've run across amateur rips that put current digital reissues to shame.

Back