Visual distractions, in music work & enjoyment

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
I've been working on this UDR (Up-mix, De-Mix & Re-mix) for a while now from "The Mandalorian Season 3" soundtrack Qobuz files, and had a thought that I believe will help me going forward.

As humans we are very front focused visual creatures, and I believe with even more modernization of screen time may additionally factor into this idea of our minds being visually distracted from sounds; but mainly by things that are going on around us and then day dreaming/thinking while we should be just listening. And of course there are the auditory distractions of ordinary life all around us (that's were I'm sure a professionally closed studio would help tremendously!) I know I've brought this up someplace before but maybe in a little different way.

I'll work on one song for maybe 2-4 days to try and dial it in the best I can. I'm currently on track 17 and while working on the up-mix today I started thinking about this sort of thing. So, starting out with todays session, I closed my eyes and covered them to be in a kind of blind state and only concentrate on the music (in 5.1.) I was surprised at some of the extra detail in the music as to presence, directionality and movement. This music from the soundtrack has a lot of dynamic orchestration and special effects; and I'm utilizing it as much as the music will allow. It starts out as a 4.1 Penteo Up-mix, then I extract/iso (De-Mix Pro) either from the fronts and/or the rears to pull certain elements out and highlight them a little more or get them moving in various ways (other wise there may be much more just nailed down to a Phantom Center area.) There are a lot of very subtle movements in some of the low end orchestral work as well. The Penteo Up-mix did a great job overall I'd say, with a lot of the orchestration appearing in the rears sounding like more of a real discrete mix than just double stereo; but it can usually be improved on IMO. The center channel is only getting some small additions to this one as there is already good Phantom Center info with lots of presence.

Also, the music in the actual Disney+ show seems very tame for actual surround effectiveness as far as I'm concerned, because I believe it could have been wayyyy better.

Anyway, just something to be aware of when you want to critically evaluate some music in this respect.

The Mandalorian Season 3 UDR 5.1.jpg

I've been working on this UDR (Up-mix, De-Mix & Re-mix) for a while now from "The Mandalorian Season 3" soundtrack Qobuz files, and had a thought that I believe will help me going forward.

As humans we are very front focused visual creatures, and I believe with even more modernization of screen time may additionally factor into this idea of our minds being visually distracted from sounds; but mainly by things that are going on around us and then day dreaming/thinking while we should be just listening. And of course there are the auditory distractions of ordinary life all around us (that's were I'm sure a professionally closed studio would help tremendously!) I know I've brought this up someplace before but maybe in a little different way.

I'll work on one song for maybe 2-4 days to try and dial it in the best I can. I'm currently on track 17 and while working on the up-mix today I started thinking about this sort of thing. So, starting out with todays session, I closed my eyes and covered them to be in a kind of blind state and only concentrate on the music (in 5.1.) I was surprised at some of the extra detail in the music as to presence, directionality and movement. This music from the soundtrack has a lot of dynamic orchestration and special effects; and I'm utilizing it as much as the music will allow. It starts out as a 4.1 Penteo Up-mix, then I extract/iso (De-Mix Pro) either from the fronts and/or the rears to pull certain elements out and highlight them a little more or get them moving in various ways (other wise there may be much more just nailed down to a Phantom Center area.) There are a lot of very subtle movements in some of the low end orchestral work as well. The Penteo Up-mix did a great job overall I'd say, with a lot of the orchestration appearing in the rears sounding like more of a real discrete mix than just double stereo; but it can usually be improved on IMO. The center channel is only getting some small additions to this one as there is already good Phantom Center info with lots of presence.

Also, the music in the actual Disney+ show seems very tame for actual surround effectiveness as far as I'm concerned, because I believe it could have been wayyyy better.

Anyway, just something to be aware of when you want to critically evaluate some music in this respect.

View attachment 91847
THIS IS THE WAY!

I know what you mean by the visual distractions. I often use the "Pure" button to turn off the video display. However, I would kill for a bank of 12 blue VU meters with the needles gleefully bouncing to an Atmos mix.

Like this? (Click Activate the sound to hear. In that time I didn't have yet the Wides)

You can find more info on how I build my 13 channel VUmeter here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/post-60361895

And my Documentation here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/post-60371381

https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/avr-vumeter-design-and-building-guide-pdf.3072450/

I know what you mean by the visual distractions. I often use the "Pure" button to turn off the video display. However, I would kill for a bank of 12 blue VU meters with the needles gleefully bouncing to an Atmos mix.
How about a wurlyscope?

I often listen to music with my eyes closed, especially classical. Even when I attend live symphonies, I try to let my ears dominate my sensual intake.

But then, I have an Atari Video Music, which makes a bunch of bouncy patterns on a TV screen, which is a lot of fun with disco. It all depends on the mood at the moment.

I use my 13 Channel VUMeter as a visual aid to *check* the amount of content of Atmos channels. This way I can recognize better when and if Rears are used (instead or in addition to the sides), the Tops, and specially check the Wides. This is just at the beginning when evaluating a mix.

Then, the VUmeters are just a lights enjoyment that compete with other fun lights, HUE lights with some disco App, som kids projector of stars at the ceiling...

But, when I close my eyes, YES, I feel much better discrete sounds, movements, etc. as the brain is only processing sound.

Many different ways to listen MCH depending on the mood.

Like this? (Click Activate the sound to hear. In that time I didn't have yet the Wides)

You can find more info on how I build my 13 channel VUmeter here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/post-60361895

And my Documentation here:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...2ch-flagship-avr-thread.2952552/post-60371381

https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/avr-vumeter-design-and-building-guide-pdf.3072450/

¡Ostias!
Pa fumarse un peta en la oscuridad...dabuten!!!

Back