Vocal Jazz Arrangement of "Hey Jude" in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Thanks to YouTube rolling out support, here's my first (and so far only) 5.1 mix from 2016:

The "5.1 Surround" option is available when I play this on my LG TV's YouTube app, and "Stats for nerds" shows the audio codec as AC-3. As expected, the playback volume is very low. Compared to most YouTube videos, I had to raise the volume by a whopping 20dB+ to achieve a comfortable listening level. This is similar to my experience with surround and immersive formats from other video streaming services.

The mix was done in Pro Tools six-and-a-half years ago when I was a student at Pyramind in San Francisco. At that time, they had a Meyer single-plane surround monitoring system with at least nine full-range channels (including massive LCRs) and two subs. The channel configurations were handled by a pair of Meyer Galileo processors that could be set up for 5.1, 7.1, SDDS, and more. The bounced audio from that session (actually printed internally to a new 5.1 track) was uncompressed 6-channel 24-bit/48kHz WAV in SMPTE channel order: L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs. (I believe AC-3 uses a different order, but YouTube automatically mapped the channels correctly when encoding the stream.) To make the WAV YouTube-friendly, I created a static video of the same length in iMovie, then used ffmpeg to "pass through" the 6-channel audio as-is to the .MOV file.

Let me know if it plays back correctly for you, and what you think of the mix! Constructive criticism welcome.

Thanks to YouTube rolling out support, here's my first (and so far only) 5.1 mix from 2016:

The "5.1 Surround" option is available when I play this on my LG TV's YouTube app, and "Stats for nerds" shows the audio codec as AC-3. As expected, the playback volume is very low. Compared to most YouTube videos, I had to raise the volume by a whopping 20dB+ to achieve a comfortable listening level. This is similar to my experience with surround and immersive formats from other video streaming services.

The mix was done in Pro Tools six-and-a-half years ago when I was a student at Pyramind in San Francisco. At that time, they had a Meyer single-plane surround monitoring system with at least nine full-range channels (including massive LCRs) and two subs. The channel configurations were handled by a pair of Meyer Galileo processors that could be set up for 5.1, 7.1, SDDS, and more. The bounced audio from that session (actually printed internally to a new 5.1 track) was uncompressed 6-channel 24-bit/48kHz WAV in SMPTE channel order: L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs. (I believe AC-3 uses a different order, but YouTube automatically mapped the channels correctly when encoding the stream.) To make the WAV YouTube-friendly, I created a static video of the same length in iMovie, then used ffmpeg to "pass through" the 6-channel audio as-is to the .MOV file.

Let me know if it plays back correctly for you, and what you think of the mix! Constructive criticism welcome.

DownBeat's "Best Undergraduate Large Vocal Jazz Ensemble"!
https://willamette.edu/news/library/2021/05/downbeat-award-willamette-singers.html
(I'll listen to the mix tomorrow, but I like the arrangement!)

I hadn't realized/been told about that latest award! I feel blessed to have sung in the ensemble for two years—including the year of its first such award—and to have had a hand in so many of their wonderful recordings.
(I'll listen to the mix tomorrow, but I like the arrangement!)
I know I'm biased because he's a close friend, but Matt Sazima is a fantastic arranger, composer, and pianist.

Last edited:

Excellent mix! Very nice how the vocals wrap around you. You have to really turn the volume up quite a bit but that seems to be an issue with all the 5.1 videos on YouTube.

Back