Wagner: Tannhäuser (Solti, 1971) 5.1 Blu-ray Audio from Decca Quad Tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

81Dr85Y4xwL._SX522_.jpg

Decca will release a Blu-ray Audio / CD edition of Sir Georg Solti's recording of Wagner's Tannhäuser (1971), apparently with a new 5.1 mix made from the Quadraphonic tapes.

You can purchase it here at Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5K7SP7

Or internationally, by using the same ASIN product number, for example:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07C5K7SP7

Here is the product description in the Amazon listing:

Deluxe Hardback Edition with CD + libretti + Blu-ray Audio!
Who knew that Decca experimented with quadrophonic recording? No “quad” recording ever bore the traditional Decca FFSS trademark and Decca’s forays into quadrophonic recording have never-before been released – until now.

Getting the sound right at the recording session has always been a hallmark of the Decca Sound. While Decca’s Phase 4 label had been making multi-channel recordings since 1964, new ‘quadraphonic’ recording techniques developed in the late 1960s allowed engineers to capture a greater spatial ambience. In the autumn of 1969, quietly and behind the scenes, Decca began to experiment with quadraphonic sound, first in its Hampstead studios, and the next spring in the Sofiensaal recording the Vienna Philharmonic, where the new miking techniques were employed to create a sense of movement in the different arrivals and departures of the Pilgrims.

Decca was to make the sound marketing decision not to issue any “quad” recordings – quadraphonic releases were a commercial failure due to the high production costs and the costs of the playback equipment, coupled with the technical limitations of cutting the extremely high frequencies into vinyl as well as tracking these without distortion. Recording operas in the Decca style, and especially in stereo, presented. Today, Blu-ray Audio allows us to hear for the first-time producer Ray Minshull’s original vision and re-present in “Surround Sound” Decca’s accomplishments through the High Fidelity Pure Audio 5.1 surround mix in this reissue.

Georg Solti’s readings of Wagner’s great operas are among the most thrilling experiences on record. The evenness and strength of the cast is balanced with the brilliance of the Wiener Philharmoniker and recorded with the renowned Decca clarity and richness.

• Tannhauser Presented in 5.1 Surround Sound on one Blu-ray Audio disc and mastered at 24-bit/96kHz from the never-before released 1970 experimental quadraphonic tapes
• 3CDs + High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray disc containing the complete opera in 24-bit audio Deluxe hard-back edition with original cover
• Includes libretto, and synopsis both with English, German and French translations
• Mastering from original analogue sources by former Decca engineer, Paschal Byrne.

TANNHAUSER – THE PARIS EDITION
Though popularity for Wagner’s Tannhauser in its original Dresden (1845) version spread rapidly, Wagner frequently felt drawn to make minor alterations to the score. An Imperial command to produce it in Paris in 1861 prompted the more substantial revisions which distinguish the Paris version from the Dresden and despite the fact that the first three performances in Paris were such an unmitigated disaster that Wagner withdrew both the opera and himself, he clearly felt that the new version was preferable to the old, once it had been restored to German. From the outset of Decca’s recording project with Solti there was no doubt that this would be the version used, though under the umbrella-title of “Paris version” several choices still have to be made. It was felt quite simply that Tannhäuser becomes an even greater work by virtue of the revisions.

81Dr85Y4xwL._SX522_.jpg

Decca will release a Blu-ray Audio / CD edition of Sir Georg Solti's recording of Wagner's Tannhäuser (1971), apparently with a new 5.1 mix made from the Quadraphonic tapes.

You can purchase it here at Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5K7SP7

Or internationally, by using the same ASIN product number, for example:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07C5K7SP7

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07C5K7SP7

Here is the product description in the Amazon listing:

Interesting! They've done a number of these Solti reissues--Parsifal, Tristan und Isolde, Salome, Elektra, Aida--always with a Blu-Ray included. But this is the first one with a multichannel mix.

"No “quad” recording ever bore the traditional Decca FFSS trademark and Decca’s forays into quadrophonic recording have never-before been released – until now."

No, it still hasn't. 5.1 is not quad!

Why are they re-doing the quad in 5.1? It's like Universal Classics just doesn't learn - they must think people are desperate for a 5.1 remix of quads, especially when in most cases they just artificially created the center channel. They did this for all of their DVD-Audios and the result was ridiculous - the center channel was a summed LR mix, and at a lower volume. Not a big detriment for listening but deeply pointless. I guess they were worried about people complaining the item was defective because their center channel was silent?

They got it right with the Steinberg release, and that was the bestselling item under "symphonies" on Amazon and is out of stock less than 3 months after being released (3rd party sellers still have it). By all means if you're starting from multitracks which aren't mixed then create a new 5.1 mix, but if you have a mixed quad mix, just release that. Or, better yet, release both on one BD-Audio. God know the disk has enough space. You can even make the quad mix slightly hidden so the technophobes don't get a silent center channel by accident.

tl:dr - still gonna buy, but c'mon.

I think Universal is worried most people don't know what "Quadraphonic", or even "4.0" means, or if they do, that they somehow perceive of 5.1 as being "better" than "just" quad. Perhaps it's because 5.1 is the standard for modern remixes and movie soundtracks.

But they did the Steinberg planets disc correctly...why did they have to mess this one up? Especially all the comments about preserving the producer's vision in his experimental mix and then tinkering with it?

Like I said, I'm guessing they did fairly little and just added an artificial center channel and LFE. But I feel like they've had the wrong idea for decades at this point and it's frustrating in principle.

Incidentally, I can fully imagine soloist-centered works like opera and concerti using 5.1 really well, anchoring the soloist in the center and mixing the orchestra around. But I doubt that's what they did here.

Incidentally, I can fully imagine soloist-centered works like opera and concerti using 5.1 really well, anchoring the soloist in the center and mixing the orchestra around. But I doubt that's what they did here.

Well, remember that opera is not just music, it's a theatrical stage production. The soloists often sing from stage left or stage right, and they move around the stage as well, so it doesn't make much sense to use the center channel that way. Besides, the quad recording wasn't done with performers in discrete channels, it was recorded with "stereo front" and "stereo rear" pairs of mikes which captured the entire stage production in a concert venue (not in a studio), so there's no way to extract the individual singers' voices and direct them to a center channel. In fact, even the quad master must have had nothing but ambience in the rears, so in this case 4.0 or 5.1 shouldn't make any real difference in the presentation.

The .1 (LFE) channel likely has no musical information in it, and there's no need for it. Even 99% of the 5.1 mixes that us QQ'ers have been enjoying over the years are actually 5.0 in terms of actual content. The .1 channels aren't normally used except in movies, but they must exist because they're defined in the formats.

Well, remember that opera is not just music, it's a theatrical stage production. The soloists often sing from stage left or stage right, and they move around the stage as well, so it doesn't make much sense to use the center channel that way. Besides, the quad recording wasn't done with performers in discrete channels, it was recorded with "stereo front" and "stereo rear" pairs of mikes which captured the entire stage production in a concert venue (not in a studio), so there's no way to extract the individual singers' voices and direct them to a center channel. In fact, even the quad master must have had nothing but ambience in the rears, so in this case 4.0 or 5.1 shouldn't make any real difference in the presentation.

The .1 (LFE) channel likely has no musical information in it, and there's no need for it. Even 99% of the 5.1 mixes that us QQ'ers have been enjoying over the years are actually 5.0 in terms of actual content. The .1 channels aren't normally used except in movies, but they must exist because they're defined in the formats.
This sounds correct to me. But I do still wish they hadn't messed with the quad mix. I suppose I'm thinking more of vocal/instrumental solo parts that go with orchestral accompaniment for ways to use 5.1

Are you certain this was a live recording? I did some googling and found no reference to that.

Wonder if a separate thread should be started , much like the AF and DV one.
It would seem UMG Classical is in the process of releasing a number of quads lately , fr DECCA , and DEUTSCHE GRAMMAPHON .

Just a thought.
Seems like a good idea to me. Can it include a sticky reminding people that UMG doesn't own the rights to the EMI quads?

Seems like a good idea to me. Can it include a sticky reminding people that UMG doesn't own the rights to the EMI quads?

Not sure , about EMI.......
I see as per HR Audio .net that DG etc/Universal , are busy with these 70's NR quads blu rays.....so for me this a no brainer . Thinking maybe an attentive qq mod will have to title this up perhaps .
Not certain if the label is notified as per Rhino , DV , and AF . Not certain if that's a prerogative to these threads.
But quad is quad , and this is happening now .

Interestinggggg....
I'll wait to pull the trigger until it's out and I hear the reviews.. I like my chili HOT.. I mean. I like my Classical Surround DISCRETE!!!!

Are you certain this was a live recording? I did some googling and found no reference to that.

Nope, I'm not 100% certain, but "live" to me means in front of an audience. Most recordings of large-scale classical performances that I'm aware of are recorded in concert venues (with or without an audience) rather than in a studio, and I'd be shocked if any operas are done in a studio since they require both an orchestra as well as a full opera company performing at the same time and studios just aren't big enough to accomodate them. I would hope the release comes with notes on the venue where it was recorded. Vienna Opera House maybe?

Nope, I'm not 100% certain, but "live" to me means in front of an audience. Most recordings of large-scale classical performances that I'm aware of are recorded in concert venues (with or without an audience) rather than in a studio, and I'd be shocked if any operas are done in a studio since they require both an orchestra as well as a full opera company performing at the same time and studios just aren't big enough to accomodate them. I would hope the release comes with notes on the venue where it was recorded. Vienna Opera House maybe?

It was recorded at the Sofiensaal in Vienna, Decca's main European recording venue. I don't believe that you're correct about large-scale classical performances being recorded in concert venues, especially back then. Typically they'd find ballrooms or other rooms with acoustic properties conducive for recording - empty halls are actually pretty problematic in terms of acoustic unless you do something to fill the seats. They'd multimike pretty heavily and then the producer would mix live to however many tracks they had as an option. These opera recordings (the Ring Cycle was done in the same venue) were anything but near-live recordings - they were meticulously assembled out of many takes to bring the opera to record - not just capturing a performance but making something more alive than a recorded performance can be.

And if you don't believe that, just listen to the quad mix of Bernstein's recording of Carmen, made around the same time. It's definitely not a "two mics in front, two in the hall" affair. Like this one, it's a studio creation and that allows for more creative use of four channels.

Recently there has been a bit of a shift to live recording in classical - the major labels aren't doing as much recording and orchestras are releasing their own recordings - typically made mostly live with a patch session done later. But the technology and markets were different in the early 70s, and live classical recordings were still an exception.

Back