Wakeman Journey in SQ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Rick Wakeman - Viaje al Centro de la Tierra Vinyl Used Made in Argentina Rare | eBay

Rick Wakeman's 'Six Wives of Henry VIII' was released on disc in SQ although it was also released in CD-4 in Japan. His 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' was released in CD-4, so I assumed that meant it was CD-4 worldwide. Now this links seems to show it in SQ in Argentina, and Brazil is often the same. I always thought the home country produced the master and then that master was sent overseas for manufacturing. Was this more common than I know, that quad format differed from country to country for the same album?

(And yes, I realize Project 3 albums were made in multiple formats, but Enoch Light was a quad nut who wanted it every way possible. I'm not counting those.)

Rick Wakeman - Viaje al Centro de la Tierra Vinyl Used Made in Argentina Rare | eBay

Rick Wakeman's 'Six Wives of Henry VIII' was released on disc in SQ although it was also released in CD-4 in Japan. His 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' was released in CD-4, so I assumed that meant it was CD-4 worldwide. Now this links seems to show it in SQ in Argentina, and Brazil is often the same. I always thought the home country produced the master and then that master was sent overseas for manufacturing. Was this more common than I know, that quad format differed from country to country for the same album?

(And yes, I realize Project 3 albums were made in multiple formats, but Enoch Light was a quad nut who wanted it every way possible. I'm not counting those.)
This is very strange. AM I missing something? I don't see a reference to SQ on the jacket, although I am English only. Looking at the disc, it certainly does not look like a CD4 in terms of the length of the runout and the look of the grooves them=selves. I would be very interested in acquiring an SQ of 'JTCOTE' if its out there.

It is listed in the Surround Discography (my first place to look) and it looks real. Being that it is pressed by EMI Odeon, CD4 would be unlikely. I also suspect that CD4 did not take off in South or Central America due to cost.

Top left oval sticker "Cuadarafonico".
There is also a SQ Brazil pressing that shows on ebay from time to time, sticker similar to the UK ones.

Back