Wallflowers - Rebel, Baby: Not really multichannel?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
So I came upon the BMG Direct (read: RCA Record Club) edition of the Wallflowers' "Rebel Baby" DualDisc and even though I've heard that the 5.1 is pretty lackluster, I was happy to have it. However, I've found that it apparently has NO 5.1 content on it whatsoever. Trying every setting on my Oppo for decoding resulted in nothing; opening in VLC player on the computer revealed that there are only Stereo tracks on the DVD side - not even any lowly Dolby Surround-encoded files.

Can anyone confirm this?

There's definitely a 48-khz/24-bit MLP 5.1 mix on my copy, but it might as well be stereo. Like most of Nick DiDia's 5.1 mixes, the front channels are brickwalled and the rears barely used. Here's a screengrab of the first track:

Wallflowers 01.jpg

Wow...OK. You're right, and I should have just done an extraction and opened it in Audition to start with. What a crappy mix!

Thanks for putting me right. (Now the mixer in me wants to run a peak restore on it and rebalance the whole thing...) :)

One of the very, very few multichannel discs I ever bought and then sold again. Total waste. Great album, had the stereo version even before I started collecting mch stuff, and still have it today and enjoy listening to it. Too bad, could have been really nice in surround.

Back