HiRez Poll Wallflowers - RED LETTER DAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Wallflowers - RED LETTER DAY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

just giving this a spin for the first time and I totally agree, its streets ahead of the Wallflowers' DualDisc, content-wise, surround-wise and in sound quality. loving it so far! every home should have one!

:banana:

ok, this one is worth seeking out. really solid album and the mix doesnt do a great deal thats exciting but it works here. it's an "8" from me.

exhibit A:

nKyFm7T.png

its only one track and its only a waveform so you'll have to go on what i'm relaying to you that's in each channel but here goes..

for just the first song, essentially you've got a lead vocals all round mix with dry lead vocal in the Centre channel, lead vocal in FL & FR similar volume as C but less dry and lead vocal in Rears at lower level.

there's drum parts including kick and some bass in the Centre, LFE is lower drum & bass content (seemingly from the Centre) the bulk of the track is up in the Front L&R, the Rears have reverb/ambience of the other channels plus little accents such as effects, keys, rhythm guitar, BVs/harmonies and there is a fairly effective fluttery effect panning from Front to Back.

its not Scheiner or Wilson surround standard imho but its not bad at all and a gazillion miles away from the surround on the Wallflowers' "Rebel Sweetheart" DualDisc, mixed by Nick DiDia.

this Surround SACD was mixed by Ed Cherney, who did the Bonnie Raitt "Nick Of Time" 5.1 DVD-Audio & Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" 5.1 remix on DVD-V.

i'll have a deeper look (and a good refresh listen for the first time in a long time of an album i used to quite enjoy) of the rest of the SACD over the weekend just to see what else is going on but so far so good.

edit.. edit.. edit..!!
i corrected my earlier wee gaff (!) this wasn't mixed into 5.1 by Nick DiDia at all, sorry, my mistake, i misremembered.. but by Ed Cherney, who we know "gets" surround and explains why the mix here is so much better than Rebel Sweetheart!

Last edited:
its not Scheiner or Wilson surround standard imho but its not bad at all and a gazillion miles away from Springsteen's "Devils & Dust" 5.1 or the surround on the Wallflowers' "Rebel Sweetheart" DualDisc.

I enjoy it as well - love the tune "See You When I Get There". Shame they never did a 5.1 of Bringing Down The Horse (the one with "One Headlight")...

Back