Quad LP/Tape Poll Walsh, Joe: The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Q8/QS LP of Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Released in stereo on June 18th, 1973, The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get was Walsh's second LP for ABC-Dunhill after 1972's Barnstorm. The quad mix was initially only released as a Q8, but a QS-encoded LP followed in mid-1974 as part of ABC's Command Quadraphonic series of quad LPs.

View attachment 51786View attachment 51787

ABC/Dunhill C 7023-50140 (later 7023-50140 H) [Q8] ABC Command Quadraphonic CQD-40016 [QS LP]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

Side 1:
  1. Rocky Mountain Way
  2. Bookends
  3. Wolf
  4. Midnight Moodies
  5. Happy Ways
Side 2:
  1. Meadows
  2. Dreams
  3. Days Gone By
  4. Daydream (Prayer)
After re-reading this Poll, Iā€™m reminded that itā€™s this titleā€™s 50th anniversary.

I also ran an advanced search on discogs for Label: ABC and Format: Quadraphonic; and didnā€™t recognize any titles from that label that have been released in a modern digital format (physical/non-matrix) Quad. This may have been discussed elsewhere why that is, but I donā€™t remember any.

So why hasnā€™t there been any digital (physical/non-matrix) Quads from this label?

After re-reading this Poll, Iā€™m reminded that itā€™s this titleā€™s 50th anniversary.

I also ran an advanced search on discogs for Label: ABC and Format: Quadraphonic; and didnā€™t recognize any titles from that label that have been released in a modern digital format (physical/non-matrix) Quad. This may have been discussed elsewhere why that is, but I donā€™t remember any.

So why hasnā€™t there been any digital (physical/non-matrix) Quads from this label?
missing mastertapes šŸ˜”

This is among my favorite albums. I may have listened to this one more than any other. I live in northeast Ohio so I was a big James Gang fan. I see that almost all comments pertain to mixes and music. I listen to the album mainly due to the LYRICS! Joe has written some of the most clever and deep lyrics I have ever heard.

Not to beat a dead horse on a Poll thread (yes I put in a detailed analysis and voted earlier) but is there a thread on the QQ addressing this and/or was there actual information from someone representing ABC & sub-labels that those masters are actually lost?
Google the UMG fire. One article claims over 100,000 masters were lost.

If, as sjcorne surmises, 'the QS vinyl sounds fantastic' would be wise for UMG to try and replicate that vinyl sound by utilizing one of those megabuck TT with a step up phono transformer into the Surround Master V3 ...... and create a new QUAD master ...that's if those master QUAD tapes are truly 'dust!'

With a little digital finesse I'm sure it would come relatively close to those 70's analogue masters.

IMO, better than NOT having this landmark album in surround!

I have Audio Fidelity's HDCD 24k Gold CD remaster and love it but would truly LOVE it in QUAD!

Last edited:
After reading all the posts glorifying this Joe Walsh Wonder....

.......What's left to say about how good the QS album sounds ?

Nothing really , although this a demo quality QS release, period.

Well worthy of my Ten !

I feel that "Smoker" could have been better if done in SQ (esp if properly mixed for) rather than QS. That way the extreme left to right separation of the stereo version (esp. Rocky Mountain Way) could have been (exactly) transferred to the quad version. The QS mix was somewhat disappointing in comparison.

I used to trade in, sell or give away my stereo LP's as I purchased the quad version. With this one I sometimes lament that decision. Despite owning the original CD release as well as a copy of the AF (CD) release. I still long for my original stereo Canadian Dynaflex LP! I do admit that my recollection of just how good the original sounded might be a bit faded after 50 years!

A matrix-decoded LP sounding "relatively close" to a discrete four-channel master? I think not :LOL:
There are TT, tonearm, cartridge combos that comfortably exceed the under $1K variety which in tandem with a step up phono transformer and a professionally cleaned disc can sound VERY convincing.....and since the master tape in all probability no longer exists ...... as I said 'better than nothing!'

Amazing
what the major and even minor studios are accomplishing in the video world these days with 4K restorations of films so damaged as to be almost useless.

This is among my favorite albums. I may have listened to this one more than any other. I live in northeast Ohio so I was a big James Gang fan. I see that almost all comments pertain to mixes and music. I listen to the album mainly due to the LYRICS! Joe has written some of the most clever and deep lyrics I have ever heard.
Agree. "Ashes, the rain and I" comes to my mind instantly. Would love to hear it in surround one sunny day. That would do that terrific song justice. Album, too.

there may be safeties somewhere but Universal may not hold them in their archive
We can all hope. I don't know why there wouldn't be some copies held elsewhere.

This reminds of the original DR. Who series. Copies were sent all over the world but the BBC mandated that they be destroyed after playing on air! Over the years copies of most episodes have been found! Sadly many are still missing and might never be found. A major bone head move by the BBC to destroy their old programming apparently to ensure jobs for writers and actors of new shows. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

Back