Warner Brothers "Loss Leaders"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if Warner/Rhino actually kept logs of what WAS actually remixed into 4.0/5.1 and NEVER released like Joni Mitchell's Blue, Ladies of the Canyon, Neil Young's After The Gold Rush, James Taylor's Sweet Baby James, CSNY: Deja Vu, The Cars: Heartbeat City, Frank Sinatra's September of My Years, Madonna's Greatest Hits, etc, etc.

Perhaps Foraging Rhino [Steve] could shed some light as speculation has been circulating for years of classic titles that have surround mixes and have never been commercially released in any format?

And why artists won't consent to release these treasures via stand alone BD~As remains a mystery as these unreleased remixes are not making $$$$ by languishing in the vaults and could be a further source of revenue for both them and Rhino/Warner!

As we're [sadly] nearing the end of physical disc replication and analogue tape is hardly an 'archival medium' better to get these releases out than to risk losing them forever!

Last edited:
Plus these as well?

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Steely Dan - Aja
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Elton John - Don’t Shoot Me
Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Rock of the westies
Elton John - Blue Moves

Not sure if Rhino could gain access but apparently they’re mostly in the can already - waiting to be released! :phones

Plus these as well?

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Steely Dan - Aja
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Elton John - Don’t Shoot Me
Elton John - Caribou
Elton John - Rock of the westies
Elton John - Blue Moves

Not sure if Rhino could gain access but apparently they’re mostly in the can already - waiting to be released! :phones

ALL the Elton John titles and Nick Drake are controlled by Universal Music Group and Thriller [SONY label] is supposedly going to be released this year in Dolby Atmos on blu ray [hopefully it'll be the short Thriller video and an album remix but not certain if full album remix will be included].

Last edited:
I have several of those compilations. I think that is where I got my introduction to Wild Man Fischer!

I also thought of the Audio Fidelity SACD The Collection when I read your idea. It even got mixed reception here, although I love it!

I would just suggest that tracks might be matched stylistically for a more balanced listen. Either way, I would buy it!

After a quick run through of the WEA '70s Quad catalog I came up with a few candidates for the fictional release:

Alice Cooper - No More Mr. Nice Guy
Allman Brothers - Blue Sky
Allman Brothers - Melissa
America - Sister Golden Hair
Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
Arlo Guthrie - Lovesick Blues
Arteha Franklin - Respect
Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces
Bette Midler - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Black Sabbath - Ironman
Bob Dylan - On a Night Like This
Bread -
Carly Simon -
David Gates - Clouds
David Gates - Never Let Her Go
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Dionne Warwick - Then Came You
Eagles -
Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Frank Zappa - Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
Gordon Lightfoot - Rainy Day People
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Graham Central Station - Can you Handle it
J. Giels Band - Must of Got Lost
Jackson Browne - Fountain of Sorrow
James Taylor - Mexico
Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi
Joni Mitchell - In France they kiss on Main Street
Joni Mitchell - Raised on Robbery
Judy Collins - Send in the Clowns
Mickey Newbury - American Trilogy
Mothers of Invention - Camarillo Brillo
Randy Newman - Sail Away
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song
Seals and Crofts - Summer Breeze
Souther Hillman Furay Band - Fallin' in Love
Spinners - Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
Spinners - I'll Be Around
Spinners - One of A Kind Love Affair
Tony Orlando and Dawn - He Don't Love You

Some of those old WEA Quadraphonic titles are not under Warner Music's control anymore.
For example, the Bob Dylan titles are owned by Sony, and the Allman Brothers and Eric Clapton titles are owned by Universal, but at least Universal released the Eric Clapton Quadraphonic titles already.

:)

Last edited:
I wonder if Warner/Rhino actually kept logs of what WAS actually remixed into 4.0/5.1 and NEVER released like Joni Mitchell's Blue, Ladies of the Canyon, Neil Young's After The Gold Rush, James Taylor's Sweet Baby James, CSNY: Deja Vu, The Cars: Heartbeat City, Frank Sinatra's September of My Years, Madonna's Greatest Hits, etc, etc.

Perhaps Foraging Rhino [Steve] could shed some light as speculation has been circulating for years of classic titles that have surround mixes and have never been commercially released in any format?

And why artists won't consent to release these treasures via stand alone BD~As remains a mystery as these unreleased remixes are not making $$$$ by languishing in the vaults and could be a further source of revenue for both them and Rhino/Warner!

As we're [sadly] nearing the end of physical disc replication and analogue tape is hardly an 'archival medium' better to get these releases out than to risk losing them forever!
Let's not forget The Blues Brothers soundtrack! That was listed as "coming soon".

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

Let's not forget The Blues Brothers soundtrack! That was listed as "coming soon".

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

Actually, I used to have a list off ALL the upcoming [but NEVER released] DVD~A titles and there were way more than I listed including the Blues Brothers soundtrack. Wish I could find that list.

Last edited:
True about the licensing, and but QUADIO series is based on the old quad releases, not the newer DVD-A's, released or unreleased. At any rate, it doesn't really matter because it ain't happening, unless you make a disc yourself for yourself from your old WEA Quad stuff.

True about the licensing, and but QUADIO series is based on the old quad releases, not the newer DVD-A's, released or unreleased. At any rate, it doesn't really matter because it ain't happening, unless you make a disc yourself for yourself from your old WEA Quad stuff.

As far as you know, Jon, were those 'announced' DVD~As ever ACTUALLY remixed into 5.1? It does seem strange that they would announce them without actually having done the remixing, and quite possibly the artwork, as they were listed as COMING SOON.

There were some incredibly CHOICE titles on that list and had they been released, IMO, they would've sold out rather quickly and would be fetching BIG BUCKS on eBay today! Yep, hindsight IS 50~50!

Last edited:
As far as you know, Jon, were those 'announced' DVD~As ever ACTUALLY remixed into 5.1? It does seem strange that they would announce them without actually having done the remixing as they were listed as COMING SOON.

I don't think a lot of them were finished. We know that "Graceland" was, and I asked Graham Nash about "Deja Vu", and he said basically "It's on my list and when I get some time I am going to do it" - yeah, right. Guess not. If you can't find an article in a mag somewhere about an engineer working on the mix in question, I would have to say it does not exist.

One exception is Jackson Browne, "The Naked Ride Home". I believe that was finished and ready to go but the album did not sell as a CD and WB probably figured it was not worth the costs involved to press up and market a DVD-A of the title, or maybe they did and they all went into the landfill!

Maybe Steve could confirm, but he might not be able to speak about this.

nakedridedvda2.JPG

I don't think a lot of them were finished. We know that "Graceland" was, and I asked Graham Nash about "Deja Vu", and he said basically "It's on my list and when I get some time I am going to do it" - yeah, right. Guess not. If you can't find an article in a mag somewhere about an engineer working on the mix in question, I would have to say it does not exist.

One exception is Jackson Browne, "The Naked Ride Home". I believe that was finished and ready to go but the album did not sell as a CD and WB probably figured it was not worth the costs involved to press up and market a DVD-A of the title, or maybe they did and they all went into the landfill!

Maybe Steve could confirm, but he might not be able to speak about this.

View attachment 32609

But doesn't an Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of the Cars debut album exist, as well?

But doesn't an Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of the Cars debut album exist, as well?

This discussion probably belongs in another thread (there are quite a few about unreleased DVD-A/SACD), but yes it is true that the Cars' debut does appear on several Warner DVD-A pre-release lists.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/cars-debut-album-on-dvd-a.773/

However, the only reference I've seen to ES doing it is here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/interview-with-elliot-scheiner.37290/

LS: Are there any classic recordings that you want the opportunity to mix in surround?

Scheiner: Well, I'm doing the whole Steely Dan catalog — that'll be fun - and the Cars' first record…

It's anyone's guess how far it made it down the development process or if it was even started at all.

It is worth noting that the multis for that album are "out there" and I've heard one fan-made 5.1 mix that is extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Don't think it would ever happen, though I do like the idea....

Jon, do you realize your list is overloaded with hits? It's true that the old Loss Leaders did have hits scattered about, but also an awful lot of FM-friendly album cuts, more (if I remember right) than hits, though the latter would be my preference, too.

Some of those albums are too good to merely sample, IMO; titles like SPINNERS, AWB, SUNDOWN, COURT & SPARK, etc., should be issued in their entirety (and I do wish someone would).

ED :)

I'm in the UK, but picked up a copy of The 1969 Warner / Reprise Songbook, used, in the early 80s. It only had one disc, but it was like a message from outer space for a young British teenager. I'm too young to remember the 60s so it was great artefact to soak up the atmosphere. (Though nothing can beat the time I first held an original Beatles single in my hands.)

Discogs has a link to the series and a catalogue. I didn't realise it continued until 1980. Wow, things changed quickly then. Comparing the tracks on the first LP to the last LP - from post-hippie to post-punk.

I believe I have the full set of loss lesders, but I would need a list (and get my records out of their shipping boxes - story for another time) to make the claim with any certainty.

Quads? Oh, please! My wife won’t speak to me for a month, but hell yes!

Back