Was there ever a multichannel SHM-SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some "funny" responses to your question from the land of 2 channel sound

I thought most of the replies on that thread were pretty accurate, honestly. The extra effort/cost that goes into locating old multitrack tapes, booking studio time, hiring someone do the remix, getting artist approval, etc are all valid reasons for why labels don't commission more surround mixes.

'SHM' CD and SACD is just silly snake oil. The supposed improvement is laid to the supposed more exacting manufacturing of the discs themselves.

Except, the sound on the disc really about the mastering. Not about using 'highly transparent polycarbonate originally designed for LCD screens".

That said, the above reasons for why there are no MC SHM-SACDs do not explain why existing MC SACDs aren't re-released as SHM-SACDs. The Japanese are usual very good at monetizing this sort of price-increasing audio pseudoscience, I wonder why they've missed this niche opportunity?

So are you going to say that this release below is no better sounding than a normal CD? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Sticky Fingers SA-CD SHM.jpg

Last edited:
'SHM' CD and SACD is just silly snake oil. The supposed improvement is laid to the supposed more exacting manufacturing of the discs themselves.

Except, the sound on the disc really about the mastering. Not about using 'highly transparent polycarbonate originally designed for LCD screens".

That said, the above reasons for why there are no MC SHM-SACDs do not explain why existing MC SACDs aren't re-released as SHM-SACDs. The Japanese are usual very good at monetizing this sort of price-increasing audio pseudoscience, I wonder why they've missed this niche opportunity?
I would argue that in the absence of a mastering difference the normal DSD64 bit rate of a SACD ~88.2 > 44.1 of a CD.

I have a few iTunes downloads that sound better than some stuff that has made it onto SACD. True I’m not comparing the same exact songs, but it does lend to your point about the quality being in the mastering.

I do have Gimme Shelter on the redbook DSD Let It Bleed and also on the Hot Rocks SACD. The song sounds marginally better on Hot Rocks SACD but that is still not an apples to apples comparison.

Here are some "funny" responses to your question from the land of 2 channel sound

I especially LOVE this comment

If you go to a high-end stereo store in Japan, you will pretty much only see old-timers who have spent their whole lives pursuing 2 channel sound. They also look to be very much a classical/jazz sort of audience. The younger crowd wants mutli-channel, but only as it applies to movies and HIB systems.

I would argue that in the absence of a mastering difference the normal DSD64 bit rate of a SACD ~88.2 > 44.1 of a CD.

SACD sample rates are actually much higher than that. DSD64 SR is 2.8224 MHz. Its supposed 'equivalent' at 24 bit PCM resolution is 88.2.

But I would argue that you can't hear that sample rate difference anyway. Unless , very unfortunately, ultrasonic noise causes distortion in the audible range in your system.

I have a few iTunes downloads that sound better than some stuff that has made it onto SACD. True I’m not comparing the same exact songs, but it does lend to your point about the quality being in the mastering.

I do have Gimme Shelter on the redbook DSD Let It Bleed and also on the Hot Rocks SACD. The song sounds marginally better on Hot Rocks SACD but that is still not an apples to apples comparison.

What is a 'redbook DSD'?

Your argument is a joke.

Are you saying the mastering is the same but they sound different?

If so , why should that be?

If not, you aren't comparing like to like.
:unsure: ....not sure if there is a difference in the mastering....but I guess there is.....NOT A COMPUTER JUNKIE.....NOT YET anyways....that I'm able to compare in that way....but no matter what a computer algorithm may show.....Isn't it all in the EARS of the BEHOLDER:)

I especially LOVE this comment

If you go to a high-end stereo store in Japan, you will pretty much only see old-timers who have spent their whole lives pursuing 2 channel sound. They also look to be very much a classical/jazz sort of audience. The younger crowd wants mutli-channel, but only as it applies to movies and HIB systems.

You nailed it Ralphie...that's the one that made me laugh:)

SACD sample rates are actually much higher than that. DSD64 SR is 2.8224 MHz. Its supposed 'equivalent' at 24 bit PCM resolution is 88.2.

But I would argue that you can't hear that sample rate difference anyway. Unless , very unfortunately, ultrasonic noise causes distortion in the audible range in your system.

Fair point based on how the range of human hearing but as I understand it (limited I admit) it isn't so much that you hear the sample rate difference but that there is so much more room for a transitional band reducing the aliasing potential that it should sound better/cleaner/<adjective of choice> unless poorly engineered/mastered.

As it pertains to your original point, SACD are obviously mastered differently than CD due to the fact they can hold as much data as a DVD; you can't compare the outcomes. I wouldn't call it snake-oil, just advertising misdirection because a SACD has so much more potential than a CD due to capacity.

Personally, I am way more interested in media that isn't brickwalled no matter what the source is. HD Track downloads of Iron Maiden Piece of Mind (Remaster) .. shit compared to my OG CD.

Back