Was there ever a multichannel SHM-SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Features 5.0 multi channel
It does state that.

You are absolutely correct unless it was printed in error but according to CDJapan:

*Features 5.0 multi channel. Album release from Seiji Ozawa featuring his concert in N.Y. This edition features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). *SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution. Please note that SHM-SACDs are fully compatible with regular SACD players, but they do not play on standard CD players.

AFAIK, Universal NEVER released a Multi~CH SHM~SACD unless this somehow slipped through the cracks, and IF SO, why don't I have it [SOLD OUT according to CDJapan].

SA-CD contains uncompressed 2ch sound source and 5.0ch multi-sound source like Matsumoto live board.

according to google translate from the Japanese characters at the bottom. It seems legit.

Full Google Translation:
Miracle New York Live III Britten: War Requiem [SHM-SACD] [First Press Limited Edition] [SACD] / Seiji Ozawa (Conductor)
On the final day of JAPAN NYC, he conducted a great song for about an hour and a half! The NY audience was delighted with the revival of the Maestro! A miracle live, the final night. -Complete recording of Saito Kinen Orchestra's final NY performance "War Requiem". It is usually played through to the end, but on the day it was performed with a break in consideration of the physical condition of the maestro. The performers who had already completed two performances and understood the condition of the maestro are concentrating on the conductor of Seiji Ozawa, and they are performing a moving performance that can be said to be a once-in-a-lifetime meeting. SA-CD contains uncompressed 2ch sound source and 5.0ch multi-sound source like Matsumoto live board. It is a 2-disc set because it emphasizes sound quality. Products targeted for the Seiji Ozawa 2011 campaign.

No....it would state that if it were....Hope this helps :)

*Features 5.0 multi channel. Album release from Seiji Ozawa featuring his concert in N.Y. This edition features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). *SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution. Please note that SHM-SACDs are fully compatible with regular SACD players, but they do not play on standard CD players."

https://www.discogs.com/Benjamin-Britten-Seiji-Ozawa-War-Requiem/release/10047484
beer1.gif

My mistake....HRAudio.net did NOT state SHM~SACD and the discs were produced when some single layered stereo/MCH SACDs were still being produced. IMO, an error on the part of CDJapan.
I just checked the WWW......and I don't think there ever has been one produced....So I agree I think its a misprint by CDJapan

Even Discogs....states that it is Multi Channel , but when you take a look at the picture of it says STEREO, but then the back of the jewel case says it is

Who's going to buy it for $105

Last edited:
Is it possible that there is a 2 CD set ... SACD (multi) and SHM (stereo)?
I see single CD stereo versions and the link I posted looks like a stereo SHM.

What is a 'redbook DSD'?
The Rolling Stones were remastered and reissued as SACD. Some years later, they issued redbook CDs and called them "DSD Remastered." The labels on the discs say "DSD", but they are redbook compact discs, not SACDs.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rolling-stones-dsd-remasters-not-sacd.73305/
There are numerous other instances of this, as well. I have a "DSD remastered" Redbook CD of Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy from Japan.
...SACD are obviously mastered differently than CD due to the fact they can hold as much data as a DVD; you can't compare the outcomes. I wouldn't call it snake-oil...
@ssully was calling SHM "snake oil," not SACD. And I agree. SHM, Blu-spec, and various other high tech methods of producing higher quality polycarbonate layers for optical discs aren't worth bothering with. They make no difference in sound and any difference in durability is practically pointless.

Last edited:
@ssully was calling SHM "snake oil," not SACD. And I agree. SHM, Blu-spec, and various other high tech methods of producing higher quality polycarbonate layers for optical discs aren't worth bothering with. They make no difference in sound and any difference in durability is practically pointless.
[/QUOTE]

'SHM' CD and SACD...
You will see why I read that they way I did. Ssully seems pedantic so making such an easily misconstrued point did not seem in his wheelhouse.

I've spent some time searching the WWW for another SHM-SACD with Surround/Multi-channel and haven't found another one yet.

I've also considered what @Marplot mentioned that maybe it's one disc with stereo and one with Multi-channel, even though the rear case info suggests otherwise. Could be they just used standard logos to save cost for coming up with custom indicators. It is a long program after all, so could a single layer fit both the stereo and multi-channel 5.0 programs -seems unlikely.

I was actually hoping someone would find another title to go off of.

But if this is a rare decent sounding performance, and a true one-off release, maybe $105 is actually a bargain and an important historical surround artifact to collect.

Seems the real cost is in our lost time as an Opportunity Cost and sort of Pyrrhic victory :unsure: (Fun for me though!)

Back