HiRez Poll Washington Jr, Grover - SOUL BOX [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Grover Washington Jr. - SOUL BOX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 Multichannel SACD from Dutton Vocalion of the album "Soul Box" by Grover Washington, Jr.
This Multichannel SACD features the first official release of the original Quadraphonic mix since the 1970s!

(y) :) (n)

Grover Washington, Jr. • Soul Box
[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

THE ORIGINAL 2-LP SET KUX 1213 (1973) STEREO
KSQX 1213 QUADRAPHONIC

1: AUBREY (Gates)
2: MASTERPIECE (Whitfield)
3: TROUBLE MAN (Gaye)
4: YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE (Wonder)
5: DON’T EXPLAIN (Herzog; Holiday)
6: EASY LIVING (Robin; Rainger) – AIN’T NOBODY’S BUSINESS IF I DO (Robbins; Grainger)
7: TAURIAN MATADOR (Cobham)

N.B. The original discrete quadraphonic master of Soul Box no longer exists; therefore, the best available discrete quadraphonic sources have been used for this reissue.

Remastered by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-Channel/Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel
SA-CD
This Hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD player

CDSML8580

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This one has been on my holy grail quad list for some time , and WOW, this SACD does not disappoint!

Super discrete, great separation and lots of good, groovy playing. Masterpiece alone is worth the price of admission. 9

Last edited:
SOUL BOX was Grover Washington, Jr.'s third studio album and was originally released in 1973 as two separate LPs on the KUDU label. According to Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography it was also released as 2 SQ encoded LPs, in Q8 and a non~dolby QUAD Open Reel [KRQX-1213].

Since, according to Michael J. Dutton's notation on Vocalion's exquisite 2021 QUAD SACD release, the [presumably] 15 ips QUAD Masters no longer exist, the source material for this reissue remains a mystery although he does state 'the best discrete quadraphonic sources were utilized for this transfer!'

Whatever alchemy D~V performed to bring this marvelous recording to fruition, on my system it sounds fresh, discrete, free of hiss and other artifacts which belie its non original master tape origin.

Kudos to all involved in this fantastic QUAD SACD reissue and at the asking price of £11.99, less expensive and more dynamic than those early 7 ips Open Reels!

A 10!

See the source image

I voted 9. Very simple reason, overall musically it didn't bite me the way some do. At times I felt like I was listening to a motion picture soundtrack, that kind of feel if you know what I mean.
The fidelity, the mix, the sound, everything that Michael Dutton was able to do, absolutely fantastic.
I am very happy the reviewers before me had there awesome opinions and I take nothing away from them, just my personal taste, plain and simple.
All that said, I am really happy to own such a fine recording, liner notes where very helpful.

Lets keep Poll Threads Pure, no shipping, off topic chatter, etc.

So is the feeling here that it is better than what the consumer Q4 would sound like? Or do you think that they used a Q4 for this SACD? I would guess that they got a slave copy which was used for making one of the tape formats. But I doubt that they are going to tell us.

as some of you might know, from time to time i like to play a fun little game of price comparisons for new DV SACDs vs the old Quads 😁

many times the DV release is such incredible value compared to often overpriced Q8s and sometimes even SQ LPs. interestingly this is one of those extremely rare instances where the DV SACD is no cheaper than the SQ Quad LP! 🤯

DV = £11.99, SQ LP = £12

DFEC4B5C-34BF-4CFB-805A-C8088915A71A.jpeg

however.. that price tag anomaly is where the similarities end! despite my utter adoration for Grover Washington Jr.'s "Winelight" in 5.1, the Soul Box SQ LPs never grabbed me, in fact only the final Billy Cobham track really resonated... now i'm completely hooked on the SACD!! i've played it all the way through 4 times since it arrived just the other day!!! no two ways about it its a fantastic body of work, the arrangements, the performances, the mix, the sound, all absolutely top drawer.

a so-so "7" in SQ form becomes an SACD Top "10". another big surprise in this latest batch.

as some of you might know, from time to time i like to play a fun little game of price comparisons for new DV SACDs vs the old Quads 😁

many times the DV release is such incredible value compared to often overpriced Q8s and sometimes even SQ LPs. interestingly this is one of those extremely rare instances where the DV SACD is no cheaper than the SQ Quad LP! 🤯

DV = £11.99, SQ LP = £12

View attachment 63097

however.. that price tag anomaly is where the similarities end! despite my utter adoration for Grover Washington Jr.'s "Winelight" in 5.1, the Soul Box SQ LPs never grabbed me, in fact only the final Billy Cobham track really resonated... now i'm completely hooked on the SACD!! i've played it all the way through 4 times since it arrived just the other day!!! no two ways about it its a fantastic body of work, the arrangements, the performances, the mix, the sound, all absolutely top drawer.

a so-so "7" in SQ form becomes an SACD Top "10". another big surprise in this latest batch.
Very cool to hear how much you’re diggin’ it! One aspect of this awesome new Grover release that I really love is the low-end heft of both the brass and Ron Carter’s bass. Totally killer!

Very cool to hear how much you’re diggin’ it! One aspect of this awesome new Grover release that I really love is the low-end heft of both the brass and Ron Carter’s bass. Totally killer!

man this has gone from mostly filler to all killer!! 💘 i don't know what the Wizard of Whatsit did to Grocer Washboard's Box but i love it now almost as much as Winelight!! 😋🍷🤩

man this has gone from mostly filler to all killer!! 💘 i don't know what the Wizard of Whatsit did to Grocer Washboard's Box but i love it now almost as much as Winelight!! 😋🍷🤩

Well, i have no idea where were all of you all these years... i still need to appreciate the sacd version (please mr. postman...) but the entire body of music really shines even on Q8!!! I played more Soul Box from Q8 than Winelight,

Well, i have no idea where were all of you all these years... i still need to appreciate the sacd version (please mr. postman...) but the entire body of music really shines even on Q8!!! I played more Soul Box from Q8 than Winelight,

wow!! that's amazing you rate it higher than the almighty Winelight! 🤩

what is it they say, "better late than never"! at least i learned the error of my ways eventually! 😂 it feels like Soul Box maybe needed a sound quality and Surround channel separation step up from the SQ LPs in order for me to fully appreciate everything about it! especially the mix which is just wonderful on the SACD! (it is also possible i was in a terribly grumpy mood all those years ago when i played the Soul Box SQ LPs! such a temperamental diva! allegedly 😂 ) yes, Grover's box is proving to be a serious grower..!! 🤤 😋 ah i'm talkin' 'bout major sacd sax appeal! 🎷

anyway, i hope you get your new Soul Box SACD soon and you love it lots and lots and lots!!🤞

This is easy for me. A perfect 10. It's now become my favourite SACD. I am happy to retire my Reel to Reel tape and enjoy this one with a huge smile on my face. The only thing missing is the Dutton/Vocalion Quad SACD of Stanley Turrentine's Don't Mess With Mister T. to keep it company. Huge dream of mine and I'm hopeful it will come true.

Thank you Mister Dutton!

This is easy for me. A perfect 10. It's now become my favourite SACD. I am happy to retire my Reel to Reel tape and enjoy this one with a huge smile on my face. The only thing missing is the Dutton/Vocalion Quad SACD of Stanley Turrentine's Don't Mess With Mister T. to keep it company. Huge dream of mine and I'm hopeful it will come true.

Thank you Mister Dutton!

Maybe a twofer with Joe Farrel - Penny Arcade, hidden SQ, so a quad master existed at some point (if any discrete version survives to this day is another matter...)?

Back