HiRez Poll Waters, Roger - AMUSED TO DEATH [BluRay/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Roger Waters - AMUSED TO DEATH

• Total voters
Just listened to this album properly for the first time. I have to say I hadn't heard of this album before I got it and 'parked' it for a bit... I should also say I went to see Warhorse (the stage show) last night so maybe was a bit more 'tuned in' to the meaning before deciding to put this on?!

I have to say I really like it! There is real intelligence and irony behind the music which really grabbed my attention... I like it when albums make me think, but not too hard! The surround mix is really good! The fidelity on the whole is great, although I did notice that the RW vocal is kinda bright in parts?! I just had a brief look through the thread - and I think it's been noticed before so at least it's not just me!

If I'm going to break my vote down I'd say - Music 9, Fidelity 8 (those slightly out of sync vocals take it down a notch), surround mix 10. So I'm giving this a 9...

I did very briefly scan through the thread - and it looked a bit heated and at first I thought I might take my vote down to 8 because of those bright vocals, but I think I have to stick to my guns. I recommend anyone to do this > watch Warhorse, then listen to this album in 5.1 :phones

I'm giving it a nine. I've been listening to a lot of Floyd in surround sound lately, so I thought I'd give this album (which I had never heard) a try. Apparently, the remix both adds new sounds to the original CD mix and takes others out or something according to reviews and what's on wiki. I skimmed the reviews on this thread and am somewhat puzzled by some of the negative comments. It sounds great, I'm not sure what some people want. The soundscape is very wide, there's nice usage of most of the speakers. You can certainly hear everything in crystal-clear clarity. Roger has his usual issues with memorable songs which don't rely on sound effects and found dialogue/sounds, and his voice is more ragged than it was in previous years, but overall I'd say it's a most interesting exploration of his war concerns. The misanthropy/cynicism is always present, but that's Roger for you. No surprise, in other words.

I had this on yesterday and while I love the album, the 5.1 presentation didn’t blow me away like I thought it would. I actually prefer the original CD mix.
it just seemed a little bright to me and hence uncrankable. The mix is spacious enough but the changes to songs threw me off.
Right after this disc I put on Roger Waters The Wall and now that is a fun listen and presentation. Much more powerful.
Amused To Death for some reason lacks that power.

I listened to half of this (I can only take so much of what I consider whiney lyrics) for the first time in years last night and enjoyed the mix, fidelity and music quite a bit.

There are some room-rattling lows that my old REL wasn't handling but that are freed courtesy of the SVS sub.

Be good if the centre channel was actually used and had Rog in it. Then I could mute him and enjoy an instrumental album.

Amused To Death is a moving anti-war statement (the WWI vet's book-end story of being forced to leave a comrade on the battlefield is heart-breaking), and a jaundiced view of media entertainment that works more often than not. A "9" for the music/lyrics and overall sound fidelity, and an "8" for the surround mix which is nothing spectacular but still decent. I like it well enough to round up to "9."

I notice a lot of reviews are based on opinions of the music/ lyrics.
I've always loved Roger's cinematic approach.
My question is this, it's likely a set up issue but...
Bill Hubbard and Marv Alpert are too low in the mix on my system.
Thoughts, suggestions ?
I have the gatefold blu-ray edition.
Thinking about getting the SACD for comparison sake.

Full disclosure - This is one of my favorite albums of all time (that doesn't have the words "Pink Floyd" on the spine). The message on this album is painfully just as, if not more, relevant today than it was in 1992. I think it's a great surround mix, only dinged because Rog's vocals are mixed a bit too high. Great use of the rears on most tracks. The stereo mix is very good as well. I'm giving it a 9......even though I want to give it a 10 because I love this album so much. :)

Back