We need a multi-channel analog to HDMI PCM converter!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s 8 channels of separate analog coming from my mixing software out the audio interface through a DB 25 plug
Oh. Too bad. That means they will first have to undergo a re-digitization in order to be embedded into HDMI. A digital output from this digital device would make more sense.

Yep. It does have two ADAT outs but the Trinnov preamp doesn't have ADAT in just HDMI & S/PDIF. I guess I should look to see if anyone has an ADAT to HDMI converter.

Yep. It does have two ADAT outs but the Trinnov preamp doesn't have ADAT in just HDMI & S/PDIF. I guess I should look to see if anyone has an ADAT to HDMI converter.
A cursory Googling suggests that there is no such ADAT-to-HDMI embedder/converter. It is possible to get from 2xADAT to 1xHDMI for 8x96kHz channels, but you'll need two pieces of gear to do it. You can use the aforementioned Arvus AES-2H in concert with the RME ADI-4 DD.

Last edited:
I was hung up thinking I needed to use my audio interface to get the six (5.1) channels from my DAW software (Logic ProX) into my listening system. My Trinnov preamp is set up for 7.2.4 room-optimized analog output but expects the input from HDMI or ADAT.

My mistake was not thinking about skipping the audio interface and sending the six audio channels out myMacBook Pro via HDMI right into the Preamp. Connect the computer to an audio in from the pre and change system preferences to use that for sound output. Got to audio/MIDI setup application and set it for surround. Bingo.

It is a problem of the HDMI standard. It is only designed to pair with licensed equipment that has paid the HDMI consortium. There is no way to break-out analog input directly into HDMI. The HDMI processor on the receiver needs to handshake with a stream that has the proper flags saying "hey, I'm from a device that paid you to use your system".
To be clear, that was intentional.

It is a problem of the HDMI standard. It is only designed to pair with licensed equipment that has paid the HDMI consortium. There is no way to break-out analog input directly into HDMI. The HDMI processor on the receiver needs to handshake with a stream that has the proper flags saying "hey, I'm from a device that paid you to use your system". The only outboard solution that comes to mind is a production workaround with over $500 of boxes. One could use a SDI audio embedder to a converter SDI-to-HDMI. There would still need to be a video signal as the handshake will not happen without it. SACD probably uses black video. I have seen a converter that generated its own black for audio-only but it was over $1K. At work we have two suitcases of converters/distributors for SDI, HDMI, composite, etc. for field production, but no multichannel stuff (although SDI carries it).
Money! Of course! Everyone has allowed HDMI, with strict DRM to ensure they get paid, and we’re ok with that imposition with nary a peep. Yet MQA is erroneously villified as DRM because MQA, Ltd gets licensing royalties for the technology? Cheese and Rice it’s ridiculously uneven.

Money! Of course! Everyone has allowed HDMI, with strict DRM to ensure they get paid, and we’re ok with that imposition with nary a peep. Yet MQA is erroneously villified as DRM because MQA, Ltd gets licensing royalties for the technology? Cheese and Rice it’s ridiculously uneven.
I disagree with your assessment of MQA and their DTM motives. But it's a moot point by now as the brand is not gaining traction from what I read on it weekly.

I disagree with your assessment of MQA and their DTM motives. But it's a moot point by now as the brand is not gaining traction from what I read on it weekly.
“I disagree” is a relatively broad statement and I’m not presuming to speak gor MQA, Ltd. about their motives. But if they were trying to provide a DRM enforcement technology, they did a sh!tty job of that with MQA. Because, and this is my statement, there’s no DRM inherently part of MQA. There’s a license fee to MQA, much like Dolby, but there’s nothing about MQA that would provide a means of enforcement.

At the risk of going off-topic, there’s an awful lot of content, in nearly all of the popular WEA catalog in MQA, more everyday and the value proposition is tremendous for labels and listeners, so let’s see.

But my real point is that HDMI is a “gestapo-like” DRM enforcement technology yet no real objection has ever been raised

HDMI does suffer from 'copy protection gone wild' strategies. Careful vetting of HDMI devices is important. Watch out for AVRs with HDMI inputs with audio disabled. (I'm not kidding.) Watch out for some of the Windows computers with HDMI outputs that are wired for video only (I'm still not kidding.)

If you already have an AVR with unrestricted HDMI inputs and it's a decent unit with good DA converters and quality amps and a price tag that goes with that. (Thus 4 pretty strong reasons to keep that investment!) And you have a computer with a spare thunderbolt port (anything made after 2010 that isn't a USB-only "netbook"). The missing piece of gear to get analog into the system is an audio interface with enough analog inputs.

You can get a reasonable professional quality AI with at least 6 balanced/unbalanced analog inputs and professional grade AD converters for $100 - $300. The computer will be your music server. You will have the option to play media from your analog devices through the AI in real time if you wish. Of course this also gives you the ability to record analog to digital.

The combination of at least 6 analog inputs and AD stages and an HDMI output in a stand alone unit is going to be a stretch to find. HDMI audio interfaces (which go the other way around - HDMI input to analog outputs) are on the low end of consumer devices. Cheapness and restrictions. The professional grade audio interfaces connect to the host computer with USB, firewire, thunderbolt, or proprietary pci card adapters. HDMI AVRs work like an audio interface: HDMI input and amplified analog outputs. When you plug it into the computer with a thunderbolt to HDMI cable, it pops up in your device menu in the sound control panel. Assign your system output and use your favorite media player.

All the grifting around HDMI is insidious!
This is all complex enough to have a learning curve to begin with. You're sitting there going crazy looking for where your screw up is. And then the whole time it turns out to be a product that actually had that feature intentionally disabled and they straight up lied to you!

PS. Use the thunderbolt port. Get a TB to HDMI adapter or just a TB to HDMI cable.

All the grifting around HDMI is insidious!
This is all complex enough to have a learning curve to begin with. You're sitting there going crazy looking for where your screw up is. And then the whole time it turns out to be a product that actually had that feature intentionally disabled and they straight up lied to you!

PS. Use the thunderbolt port. Get a TB to HDMI adapter or just a TB to HDMI cable.

I use the Thunderbolt port on my Macbook Pro all the time. This is definitely the cheapest and best way to do digital from my computer to my Onkyo TX-NR709.

Back