HiRez Poll Weather Report - TALE SPINNIN' [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Weather Report - TALE SPINNIN'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of the classic Weather Report album "Tale Spinnin".
This Multichannel SACD release contains the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix, remastered and released for the first time in over 40 years! :eek:
The Quadraphonic mix is also available to stream in Dolby Audio via Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/tale-spinnin/192772867
(y):)(n)

LP PC 33417 (1975) STEREO/PCQ 33417 QUADRAPHONIC

1: MAN IN THE GREEN SHIRT (Zawinul)
2: LUSITANOS (Shorter)
3: BETWEEN THE THIGHS (Zawinul)
4: BADIA (Zawinul)
5: FREEZING FIRE (Shorter)
6: FIVE SHORT STORIES (Zawinul)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

81h1%2B-K7A9L._SL1429_.jpg

Last edited:
I will be sure to chime in as soon as I receive mine. My quad listening usually accompanies a workout session (my man-cave triples as a listening room, guitar playing room and gym), and this music should work very well. Mysterious Traveller was my choice for today's workout - those driving semi-composed/semi-improvised, slightly funky and bass driven tracks are great for that kind of thing (not suggesting this is remotely like today's mindless gym-style drivel). In fact, lots of the virtuoso style jazz-rock of the 70s is really inspiring as workout music. For me, anyway... ;-)

I just received this and have only listened very briefly, but whoever said this surround mix was good was not exaggerating! Stunning fidelity on this one, perhaps even better than Mysterious Traveller. It doesn't hurt that these two are perhaps my favourite Weather Report albums.

Easy “10”! They did not exaggerate to say this album was “recorded in quad”! This is a showpiece for the format. As good as any surround disc mix I’ve ever heard. Bruce Botnick at his best here.

And the fidelity is astounding.

Musically, I was not that familiar with album. This one kind of got lost in between their other more “classic” albums, but this is as good as any the band released, IMO. Great mid-70s jazz-funk fusion.

It’s albums like this that make me just shake my head that these great quad mixes sat buried for so long. And that they nearly (as so many others no doubt risk) stayed buried forever.

God bless Dutton Vocalion for giving us these amazing discs and mixes at such affordable prices!

A great album on vinyl, in regular stereo, I just ordered the hybrid SACD from Barnes & Noble.
It should arrive 21, Nov, they claim.
I do like the WR albums with Jaco Pastorius very much too.

A great album on vinyl, in regular stereo, I just ordered the hybrid SACD from Barnes & Noble.
It should arrive 21, Nov, they claim.
I do like the WR albums with Jaco Pastorius very much too.

unfortunately i think maybe you have ordered the wrong disc?

afaik Barnes & Noble only ever carried the old Stereo SACD (Audio Fidelity), as per this link;

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tale-spinnin-weather-report/176384?ean=0780014224820

in order to hear the Quad, you need to
order the Multichannel SACD, from Dutton Vocalion, here;

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8550

Thank you for pointing out my foolish mistake. Once again I am exposed as a truly and hopelessly dyed-in-the-wool techno-peasant.
I never even saw a computer until decades after finishing college. By the time I figured out how to use a beeper, the iPhone was taking off, and I never touched a computer until my employer required me to enter each day's work before going home a few short years ago. I could not even type!

I have not cancelled the B&N disc, but did successfully send for the correct multichannel SACD from the U.K.
Thanks again!

If you're a Weather Report fan, you'll want this 2018 Vocation release as a Multichannel SACD. Arguably, there may have been better WR band line ups but regardless of that, the sound fidelity on this release is superb. As far as the quad mix, it is also great and very well balanced. You'll get that "immersion" sound image that seems to elude some other quad mixes.

There are many moments where instrumental sounds, previously toned-down in the stereo mix, now surface in all their discrete quad glory. The dual percussionists don't battle so much as they compliment each other. And hearing Wayne's sax add a few highlight notes at just the right moment (from one rear channel) somehow manages to elevate the song to an even greater emotional impact. I had goosebumps at one point; It was beautiful (the music, not the goosebumps).

If you're not a WR fan, this is still a great MC SACD as it will provide some very accessible music with a great listening experience. And who knows, with some dedicated listening, you might just turn into a WR fan.

Last edited:
If you're a Weather Report fan, you'll want this 2018 Vocation release as a Multichannel SACD. Arguably, there may have been better WR band line ups but regardless of that, the sound fidelity on this release is superb. As far as the quad mix, it is also great and very well balanced. You'll get that "immersion" sound image that seems to elude many other quad mixes.

There are many moments where instrumental sounds, previously toned-down in the stereo mix, now surface in all their discrete quad glory. The dual percussionists don't battle so much as they compliment each other. And hearing Wayne's sax add a few highlight notes at just the right moment (from one rear channel) somehow manages to elevate the song to an even greater emotional impact. I had goosebumps at one point; It was beautiful (the music, not the goosebumps).

If you're not a WR fan, this is still a great MC SACD as it will provide some very accessible music with a great listening experience. And who knows, with some dedicated listening, you might just turn into a WR fan.

great post and appraisal of this fabulous disc, thank you!
(and just in case no-one has done so yet, a warm "Welcome to QQ"!)

don't forget to vote for this disc in the Poll, rating it out of 10 overall, factoring in surround mix, contents, fidelity and so forth :)

Thanks for the welcome and the voting reminder (it's done now). I've been using this site for only about 6 months and I've found it to be fantastic and invaluable for finding the "best or at least better" quad and 5.1 mixes. The ratings and comments are especially helpful because they come from fans and audiophiles alike.

you're welcome! (y)
excellent! a "10"! that's how i rate this one too! just splendid.
ah yes.. this place puts the QQ in 'uniqque'! ..nowhere quite like it on the planet, let alone the 'net! long live QQ! :51QQ

I'm thinking "I cant give everything a 10" but...it's another great DV DACD :51QQ

funny, I've been thinking the exact same thing for a while now, dishing out "QQ 10"'s willy nilly for these DV releases ought to be getting a trifle samey..

..but so many of them when I break it down into rating them for their surround mix, content, package, sound quality, etc., really are stone cold "10's" and tick all my boxes for what the best of the best should be.

...and as the strains of Man In The Green Shirt tinkle away, i'm reminded just how great the surround sound is on this one.

(cue the sound of a drum kit falling down the stairs!)

"dub-a-dub-a-dub-dub-a-dub-a-dub-a-dub-a-dub-a-dub-a!
dun
dun-dun, dun-dun..
dun-dun..
dun doo doo.. dee dee.. dah dah..

doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo
bom,
bom bom.."

ah, music.. the universal language! :smokin

Had my brother staying with us for a few days. He is a drummer and plays in a few local bands where he lives. He knew about my passion for surround music and wanted to hear some of my collection.

He is in the process of moving to a new property where he intends to set up a music room.

He now gets where I'm coming from and was astounded on the clarity, fidelity and musicality of this album.
As for the discrete element, this is where he instantly bought speakers to set up his surround system.

His wallet is now nearly empty, after listening to this album and wishing to try and copy the sound he heard, in a system of his own.

So from both of us, an ear tingling 10

Hopefully, he will join us on this great site soon.

Nice mix, good sound, enjoyable music.

Nothing exceptional so I voted a 9.

EDIT: I just compared the Columbia Quad SACD of Mysterious Traveller with the Vocalion SACD of Tale Spinnin'. I stand by my vote of 9 for Tale Spinnin' and lowered my vote of 9 for Mysterious Traveller to a 7. Too much high end hardness on Mysterious Traveller. See my comment on the Mysterious Traveller thread

Last edited:
Wow, this is truly a great surround experience! I get the feeling that they had quad in mind when they recorded it. Music wise this is the perfect fusion for me, it's not as overly complex as some other recordins in the field, but still a lot going on that makes the music interesting. On top of that the fidelity is great! Definitely one of my favourite Dutton Vocalion releases so far. A well deserved 10!

Back