Dual Disc Weird Al's New Album in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjethomas

From www.weirdal.com:

"STRAIGHT OUTTA LYNWOOD
The New Album – In Stores September 26
PRE-ORDER NOW!!

Featuring parodies of Chamillionaire, Green Day, Usher, R. Kelly and Taylor Hicks! DualDisc includes PCM Stereo, 5.1 Surround and instrumental mixes of the entire album (with on-screen lyrics option), plus a 9-minute behind-the-scenes documentary and 6 BRAND NEW MUSIC VIDEOS!"

All for a low low $14 + shipping. Nice! :banana:

JET

As much as Al is funny, the material he's spoofing is for the most part God awful. Chamillionaire??????:confused: TAYLOR HICKS?????

Argh. With pickin's so slim for surround content, I'll probably bite (against my better judgement). I mean, I like some of Al's parodies, but they certainly don't make for repeated listening. I guess it will help keep my Warner Bros. "Crash Boom Bang" DVD-A company.

:rolleyes:

I agree with Cai, I will probably buy this one, but his albums just don't hold up for repeat listenings. Oh well. it's something new in surround.

How sad is this... I have always liked some of Al's stuff but I wouldn't buy it because it's not really something that I would listen to more than a couple times.

I actually got excited when I originally read about this at Surroundablog. I am truly a surround junkie now. I can't tell you how many things I have purchased recently just because it was something new in 5.1. Unfortunately, most are DVD-V's and most of those suck.

Weird Al was on Sunday's (September 24) Dr. Demento show to talk about the new album and play a few tracks. He seemed to be personally excited about the DualDisc concept, but said that he knew it wasn't doing well and thought his might be the last album issued in that format. He went on to compare that to being the last person to issue an album on 8-track.

As far as I can tell from what I've seen online and heard in the interview, this album will be--at least for now--exclusively available on DualDisc.

Kal,

Do you remember those P.D.Q. Bach classical "spoofs" (or whatever they were) on Vanguard? They were done it quad. I wonder if anyone has converted them?

I have a few of those in SQ, I haven't gotten around to converting them yet.

Got the album yesterday and gave it a listen. As I posted in another thread, it's the first DVD my Pioneer DV-47Ai has a problem with, but that aside, it's a very good 5.1 mix. Not gimmicky, but not conservative, either. He uses the channels in a fully-enveloping way.

I guess I'll find out about its potential repeat-play value, but for now I've got two of the songs on endless repeat in my head, both "style parodies". One is a terrific take-off on Cake, the other--to my delighted amazement--is a take-off of Sparks (of all people!) that manages to be about a homonym for "Mael".

The videos are also fun. The Cake parody was done by John Kricfalusi of "Ren and Stimpy" infamy and is definitely more PG-13 than what one would usually expect from Al.

Got the album yesterday and gave it a listen. As I posted in another thread, it's the first DVD my Pioneer DV-47Ai has a problem with, but that aside, it's a very good 5.1 mix. Not gimmicky, but not conservative, either. He uses the channels in a fully-enveloping way.

I guess I'll find out about its potential repeat-play value, but for now I've got two of the songs on endless repeat in my head, both "style parodies". One is a terrific take-off on Cake, the other--to my delighted amazement--is a take-off of Sparks (of all people!) that manages to be about a homonym for "Mael".

The videos are also fun. The Cake parody was done by John Kricfalusi of "Ren and Stimpy" infamy and is definitely more PG-13 than what one would usually expect from Al.

Here is my problem with modern day Weird Al.....I have NO idea who Cake is!:confused:

Here is my problem with modern day Weird Al.....I have NO idea who Cake is!

They popped up about ten or so years ago with an agreeably odd remake of "I Will Survive". Very dry vocals and dry sense of humor.

They're also from my town, so I might pay a bit more attention to them than I would otherwise, but they've definitely gotten airplay.

This classic rocker definitely knows about Cake and Sparks, this'll be fun. I'm not old (48), but my collection can be that way at times...

Chris,

The Warner Brothers Boom Crash Bang DVD-A with "familiar" cartoon voices and sound effects probably seemed real promising on paper. But the NEW voice talent is pretty annoying so it gathers dust on all our shelves....

We both missed that DVD-A of Queensryche on eBay, oh well.

First of all this is a very funny album....
The only drawback is if you are not familar with the "latest" hits that he takes on you might feel left out.
He does a take on the Beach Boys on "Pancreas"
Green Day with "Canadian Idiot"

Back