Welcome Back My Friends Emerson, Lake and Palmer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the wiki page on the album, bold emphasis mine:

"
The album was recorded in February 1974 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California during the group's 1973–74 world tour in support of their fourth studio album, Brain Salad Surgery (1973). Its title comes from the introduction to the show spoken by the show's Master of Ceremonies (Pete Murray, the UK disc jockey) and the opening line of "Karn Evil 9: First Impression, Part 2".

To record the album, staff and equipment were brought in from Wally Heider Studios in Los Angeles, including a 24-track mobile recording unit and a 40-input console. Peter Granet, one of the engineers, called it "the finest recording experience I've ever had".[2] The band used a 4 channel quadraphonic PA system on the tour. A quad mix of the album was released as a three 8-track tape set. A quad LP record edition was planned for release in the Quadradisc format but was scrapped due to engineering issues in master recording which prevented JVC, the manufacturer, from cutting a stable master to meet the format's specifications.

Most of the recordings on the album were first used for broadcast on the American rock music radio show, The King Biscuit Flower Hour. In 1999, the radio recordings were released on CD.
"

Are you sure you're not thinking of the album Works Live aka Emerson Lake & Palmer In Concert which was recorded in Montreal in 1977?

Sorry for the late response . I just now read your post.

Yes Steely , I must have been thinking of "Works Live" as you pointed out as the Montreal show.

Interesting that Peter Granet considered the recording as one of his best (up til 73). Kinda flies in the face of what we have as a poor quad mix on at least one third of the recording from Atlantic's Q8 3 pack.

Thanks for the enlightening and informative information.

There has been more discussion of this recently on the KBFH thread, it is obviously pertinent here, too. First, testimony from the owner of the KBFH library, recounted on the Quad Discography page about radio shows, same as what SteelyDave said here. I have underlined one sentence for emphasis:
Barry Ehrnmann, President of Phoenix Media Group helped with the purchase
of the King Biscuit archives in the mid-nineties to negotiate with the bands
and labels for release of the performances on CD's, Barry reported that the
warehouse were the 2 channel quadraphonic matrixed encoded master tapes were
stored burned down and all were lost. Fortunately the 16 & 24 track reels
that were used to mix the quad encoded tapes were stored in a different
facility and he was able to use those and remix them for the CD's.
Therefore
only the original 1/2 track 2 channel SQ reels sent to the radio stations
and copies made by folks on their home recorders contain the quad mix. CD's
issued later are not SQ encoded.

And then I posted this :

What's also curious....the tracks played on the 3/10/74 KBFH SQ quad broadcast of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, are the very same performances (Anaheim Feb 2 74) that comprise part of the Welcome Back My Friends... live album (which was also released as a wonky Q8 tape). Fans have clamored for years for that album to be released in a proper modern surround mix but the claim has always been that the original multitracks are lost/damaged. Yet the KB multitracks reportedly exist. And based on what Ehrmann said, presumably were used to mix down to 2-track for this 1997 2CD set that contains KBFH material from 1974 and 1977....and as does this sketchy DVDA thing from 2003. Could they not be used again?

The 1974 KBFH broadcast (available to stream at Wolfgang's Vault, again a 2-channel mix) consisted of:
Hoedown
Still...You Turn Me On
Lucky Man
Piano Improvisations (Incomplete)
Karn Evil 9 (complete)

so, something near half of the WBMF album (the remainder being Jerusalem, Toccata, Tarkus, Take A Pebble, Jeremy Bender/Sheriff)

(I have two of OD's attempts to resurrect surround from SQ pre-fm source of this broadcast, in addition to the CD and Silverline DVDA, and the LP, and the Q8 transfer. Any version of the KBFH show, in any format or mix I've heard , does two things, 1) points up how much reverb/processing was added for the WBMF LP/Q8, e.g. to Greg Lake's vocals.2) and how generally lousy the recording quality is! What happened??)

No clue as to whether multis for the other WBMF performances exist...

Last edited:
Back