Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not introduced myself to the forum members. What drew me here was when I purchased the Quadraphonic LP by Suzanne Ciani I wanted to find out how it would do with SQ encoded vinyl records. I soon found out, it didn't do it very well if at all. So hello! I am enjoying my Surround Master V2 very much that I received today!

Heya Jflo, Welcome aboard - Glad you are enjoying the Surround Master aaaaaaaaaaand keep posting and asking or inputting any thoughts you might have. Great to have ya here :rocks

Hi all. Good to find some surround audiophiles.
Most of my multi-channel music is on SACD but since getting the Oppo 205 I have also been checking out other formats like DVD (eg. Jethro Tull).
Made my first stereo from junk at 14. NAD 3020 at 18. NADs then Rotels and Sony digital.
Sold my 300 or so vinyls in the 1980s to fund CDs. Got into Laser Disc and hooked up some rear speakers.
Had lots of music videos and concerts on Beta, Laser Disc and then DVD and Blu Ray.
Love my Australian made VAF speakers.
Going multi-channel digital was a big leap from the stack of Rotel power amps.
Around 2005 I got a new 2003 Sony TA-DA9000ES for a bargain price with a Firewire interface from the disc player.
Sony made it as the ultimate for multichannel music from SACD. Optimised for DSD. So much power and the sound is so clean.
I would love to hook the Oppo 205 up to a NAD T-778 to see if it can match the sound of the Sony.

Hiya Mboddy - Welcome aboard tooooooooooooooo and yes SACD are awesome. Ya had some koo setups there and the 205 Wow :SB. Like always make sure to ask any questions ya might have. Lotta koo peeps here. Hope to see ya posting a lot :LB

Welcome & great intro mboddy (may I call you M?). Love your equipment history & I'll have to look up what VAF speakers are. So what kinda music do you like?
Thanks. You can call me Mark.

My system is best setup for Quad with i-66 MK2 fronts and i-91 rears. Some reviews here from other fans: audio review VAF i-66
Some time in the next couple of years I would like to add another i-66 to use as a centre for 5.0 and 3.0 recordings. It will take me a while to save up.

We regularly go to the Canberra Symphony Orchestra and the National Folk Festival each year which is only 15 minutes away.
But most of my surround music is Rock with some Jazz.
Some MCH SACD favourites; Pink Floyd WYWH and DSOTM, Deep Purple Machine Head, Roxy Music Avalon, Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, Elton John, The Police, Hiromi, Tomita, Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, Billy Joel, George Benson, Steely Dan, Vanessa Fernandez, Norah Jones, Miles Davis, etc.

Hi all. Good to find some surround audiophiles.
Most of my multi-channel music is on SACD but since getting the Oppo 205 I have also been checking out other formats like DVD (eg. Jethro Tull).
Made my first stereo from junk at 14. NAD 3020 at 18. NADs then Rotels and Sony digital.
Sold my 300 or so vinyls in the 1980s to fund CDs. Got into Laser Disc and hooked up some rear speakers.
Had lots of music videos and concerts on Beta, Laser Disc and then DVD and Blu Ray.
Love my Australian made VAF speakers.
Going multi-channel digital was a big leap from the stack of Rotel power amps.
Around 2005 I got a new 2003 Sony TA-DA9000ES for a bargain price with a Firewire interface from the disc player.
Sony made it as the ultimate for multichannel music from SACD. Optimised for DSD. So much power and the sound is so clean.
I would love to hook the Oppo 205 up to a NAD T-778 to see if it can match the sound of the Sony.
Welcome
I am an old Quad and Surround Member
In Melbourne (Not in the Covid 19 Zone)
If you are ever down this way you are welcome to drop in for a drink Listen to music
There is a old picture of my stuff on page 1 (Show Us your Gear)

Good afternoon everyone! This is not only my first forum post here but it’s my first forum post ever!
My name is Andrew, I’m in Denver and I run a car audio shop that’s dedicated to true stereo imaging and people who appreciate accurately reproduced music.
I’m not here to talk about my shop but rather to learn from all of you so I can adapt what I do professionally to serve those who want more than 2 channel sound in the vehicle.

I am so happy I found this place because I thought I was the only one thinking about the evolution from stereo. I know very little of this world and would love to have threads recommended so I can quickly get up to speed on how quadraphonic audio is produced, purchased, consumed, and what your expectations are when you listen to a surround track. Are you expecting to be in the middle of the band? Are you just expecting the recreation of the environment It was recorded in?I.e crowd noise from a live performance.
we may be the only car audio shop in the country that has a sales floor that looks like this.we don’t have a single car audio part on display because we are selling the stereo experience and educating customers on stage and image. I think stereo is amazing but there’s a need for something more.
6B9A9084-F032-4360-9C8D-8945F1974269.jpeg
now I need to be able to explain the differences between stereo and surround. If anyone is in Denver who has a library of sacd or DVD’a with a system to demonstrate true effects, I’d love to learn and experience what your world is all about.

thank you for all your help!

Good afternoon everyone! This is not only my first forum post here but it’s my first forum post ever!
My name is Andrew, I’m in Denver and I run a car audio shop that’s dedicated to true stereo imaging and people who appreciate accurately reproduced music.
I’m not here to talk about my shop but rather to learn from all of you so I can adapt what I do professionally to serve those who want more than 2 channel sound in the vehicle.

I am so happy I found this place because I thought I was the only one thinking about the evolution from stereo. I know very little of this world and would love to have threads recommended so I can quickly get up to speed on how quadraphonic audio is produced, purchased, consumed, and what your expectations are when you listen to a surround track. Are you expecting to be in the middle of the band? Are you just expecting the recreation of the environment It was recorded in?I.e crowd noise from a live performance.
we may be the only car audio shop in the country that has a sales floor that looks like this.we don’t have a single car audio part on display because we are selling the stereo experience and educating customers on stage and image. I think stereo is amazing but there’s a need for something more. View attachment 54770 now I need to be able to explain the differences between stereo and surround. If anyone is in Denver who has a library of sacd or DVD’a with a system to demonstrate true effects, I’d love to learn and experience what your world is all about.

Welcome to the forum :dance :QQlove :dance:51QQ

we may be the only car audio shop in the country that has a sales floor that looks like this.we don’t have a single car audio part on display because we are selling the stereo experience and educating customers on stage and image. I think stereo is amazing but there’s a need for something more. View attachment 54770 now I need to be able to explain the differences between stereo and surround. If anyone is in Denver who has a library of sacd or DVD’a with a system to demonstrate true effects, I’d love to learn and experience what your world is all about.

Welcome! Awesome story......hmmm. Denver.....now who is from Denver on this forum. I know someone is...drawing a blank.

Howdy Andrew, here's a couple threads that might be of interest:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...l-who-has-surround-sound-in-their-car-s.7576/
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-with-factory-surround-systems-listing.7548/

Welcome aboard Woodsy - very Koo concept there Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwweomse :rocks

Yeah you came to the right place to broaden your horizons in surround sound - that for sure. Feel free to ask and post all ya want. Lotta Koo friendly people round these here parts, ya hear?

Welcome aboard - Great to have ya here :LB🤗:LB

Oh, I remember looking your shop up when I lived in "MENver" (lack of females... at least my type)...I moved to NOLA a year ago...
AFAIK there are two other members who live in Denver...don't want to name them cause you never know...
You know, I have always had a burning question...of all the things that a car stereo should have, the most crucial would be a compressor and yet, there are no known mfgs. who have bothered ...the car cd player from the 80s doesn't count! How would you go about that nowadays?

Oh, I remember looking your shop up when I lived in "MENver" (lack of females... at least my type)...I moved to NOLA a year ago...
AFAIK there are two other members who live in Denver...don't want to name them cause you never know...
You know, I have always had a burning question...of all the things that a car stereo should have, the most crucial would be a compressor and yet, there are no known mfgs. who have bothered ...the car cd player from the 80s doesn't count! How would you go about that nowadays?
Well thank you for lookin me up! You could have jump started my interest in quadraphonics long time ago! I’m not afraid to ask, what is a compressor?!

For everyone, where should I start my journey? Should I just find a dvd with 4 channel output? Maybe a sacd? I don’t know!

Well thank you for lookin me up! You could have jump started my interest in quadraphonics long time ago! I’m not afraid to ask, what is a compressor?!

For everyone, where should I start my journey? Should I just find a dvd with 4 channel output? Maybe a sacd? I don’t know!
Well that depends on what you can spend, a Swiss Army Knife of players like a used oppo BDP-103 is a good choice $300-500, a BDP-105 is better but much pricier now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....H0.Xoppo+bdp.TRS0&_nkw=oppo+bdp-103&_sacat=0
*edit- here's a thread here about it
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-oppo-103.27094/

Well that depends on what you can spend, a Swiss Army Knife of players like a used oppo BDP-103 is a good choice $300-500, a BDP-105 is better but much pricier now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....H0.Xoppo+bdp.TRS0&_nkw=oppo+bdp-103&_sacat=0
*edit- here's a thread here about it
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-oppo-103.27094/

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm looking at the back of the 105 and 103 and it appears that it supports 2 channel, 5.1 and 7.1. If I am not running a center channel, will I lose this information if it's encoded?
I want to be able to connect this in the vehicle and run into my amplifier. I will only use FL, FR, two of the rears (not sure that SL and SR, SBR, SBL are but I can read the manual later) I assume I will have skipping issues for disc since this is a home receiver so I will resort to using this as a decoder for USB harddrive with music on it.

I am still curious about what you experience with quad audio. I understand movies but what information are you gaining from a 4 channel setup from a 2 channel? there is obviously a difference or else this site would not exist! Are the differences prominent? When the Beatles Let it Be is released, what would you hope to hear in quad?

2nd question, where would I download a few tracks once I receive my 103?

As I am typing, I am wondering if I should be having this conversation on another thread. I am new to the forum structure.

Many thanks.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm looking at the back of the 105 and 103 and it appears that it supports 2 channel, 5.1 and 7.1. If I am not running a center channel, will I lose this information if it's encoded?
I want to be able to connect this in the vehicle and run into my amplifier. I will only use FL, FR, two of the rears (not sure that SL and SR, SBR, SBL are but I can read the manual later) I assume I will have skipping issues for disc since this is a home receiver so I will resort to using this as a decoder for USB harddrive with music on it.

I am still curious about what you experience with quad audio. I understand movies but what information are you gaining from a 4 channel setup from a 2 channel? there is obviously a difference or else this site would not exist! Are the differences prominent? When the Beatles Let it Be is released, what would you hope to hear in quad?

As I am typing, I am wondering if I should be having this conversation on another thread. I am new to the forum structure.

Many thanks.

Consider this:

http://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master-v2/
SM2_Render_2.7_600px.png

The surround master will turn 2 channels into 4.1, 5.1 with the common matrix decoders QS and SQ. It also has many other uses. Go check it out!

Also, what is a compressor:

"Basically, compression reduces the dynamic range of your recording by bringing down the level of the loudest parts, meaning the loud and quiet parts are now closer together in volume and the natural volume variations are less obvious.

The audio compressor unit can then boost the overall level of this compressed signal. So the end result is that the quieter parts sound like they’ve been boosted in volume to be closer to the louder parts.

The dynamic volume changes of a recording are now under more control, and a knock-on effect is that the overall level of the compressed recording can be increased inside your mix. The recording will also sit inside your whole mix much more easily."

By mix that is if you are a record producer, you mix the audio to where you want it. A compressor on playback does what the three paragraphs above say.

-Compressor (explained here)
-Hmmm...yes, I guess an SACD can work but there are no new models with individual outputs in MCH (that I know of.. AT A DECENT PRICE, it´s all HDMI out)...maybe a cheap Sony BDP-S6500 could do...

If you only run the Fronts and the Rears for Quad (4.0) you would use the Surround Left & Right for the rears. Same with a 5.1 setup just with the added center. For 7.1 it's different, with Fronts, then the Surround Left & Right are then used to the side of the listener, and the Surround Back Left & Right are used as position 6 & 7 behind you. If you're listening to 5.1 encoded content you will lose the center if you don't have one (4.0 speakers). A player like an oppo does have a down mix mode configuration but only for 7.1 to 5.1 or either one of those down to stereo. Remember though, there's a ton of music in 5.1 and beyond, not just Quad.

Don't know about hooking it up to car audio, sorry. Don't know what you mean by "skipping issues"?
Something like the oppo can be used for stereo, 4.x, 3.x, 5.x, 7.x - etc. It will also accept USB for playback of any of these also as say flac or wav files.

I am still curious about what you experience with quad audio. I understand movies but what information are you gaining from a 4 channel setup from a 2 channel? there is obviously a difference or else this site would not exist! Are the differences prominent?

That's a loaded question - LOL; because that makes up a huge amount of discussion here on the forum. A mix can be many things depending on how it was recorded, to the mixing choices in combination with the mastering process. Some "mixes" are much more discrete than others with specific instruments, effects and vocals being presented from each speaker (independently - meaning very discretely) or blended together with the other elements. A very discrete and active mix can be breath taking or perhaps having gone too far to a point of sounding gimmicky.

There are a few sites for downloading multi-channel sound; but for the more popular titles, if you want digital files to put on a USB hard drive, you'll need to learn how to copy (rip) the music from the discs (I'd recommend flac), tag 'em and bag 'em and then just plug it into the USB of the player and off you go into surround nirvana!

I now deserve a 🍺

Hi folks- although I joined the QQ forum back in 2011, my quad adventures have laid dormant and I became pretty much a lurker until the current pandemic isolation gave me the time to resurrect and renew my equipment. First I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have persevered in preserving, supporting and expanding awareness for the quadraphonic world of ultra high fidelity that I have loved and entered back in 1972 with the purchase of my Fisher ST-504 SQ receiver with four Large Advent speakers. Over the years I acquired different pieces of mainly Sansui equipment as I felt they seemed to offer some of the best quad hardware available "back in the day". Along with those items I began collecting a number of quad reel-to-reel, Q8 , matrix and CD-4 vinyl recordings to put my equipment to good use. So after a protracted period of dormancy I've finally emerged to join you fine folks in one of the best and most well-organized forums I've come across on the 'Net. I'm the guy who suggested to Jim Showker (RIP) back in 2011 the idea of modding the QRX-9001 to accept the QBL-100 remote control :)

So now that I have almost 50 years invested into the world of quadraphonic, I look forward to learning and sharing all things quadraphonic with y'all for the next 50!! Thanks so much for having me, and above all, please be sure to take good care of yourselves during these unprecedented times. Your devotion to this forum is sincerely appreciated by this quad nut.

Back