Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

New member here from Australia. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join.

I've had plenty of experience with surround sound due to DVD/Bluray and UHD, and I'm on my third AVR, although my speakers have not been updated. I do have a fair few Multichannel SACDs and DVDs Audio discs but unfortunately I have not listened to them as much as I would have liked, as my focus has been on home theatre, but I want to change that.

My first exposure to quadraphonic sound was in the mid 1970s when my parents arrived home with new Sanyo DC6100K system. They brought it home in their tiny VW station wagon and I still remember that one of the large front speakers was in my mum's lap, who was sitting on the front passenger seat, as the rest of the interior was taken up by the other components and other items from their small business.

Later on, a JVC 4DD-5 demodulator and an appropriate stylus was added. Ironically we only ever had four 4 channel records, 2 CD4 discs when we bought the demodulator, a Sanyo Quadsonic demonstration disc that came with the unit and some other (I could tell it was Australian made, the sleeve cardboard was probably 1/3 as thick...) 4 channel disc. I can't tell if the latter 2 discs are SQ format. All of these discs contain that uncool (to me but my dad probably liked it) easy listening instrumental covers of music performed by studio musicians one has never heard of, which seemed typical of a lot of quadraphonic releases then. Sadly nothing by the rock and pop artists of the day that I liked. So no Led Zeppelin, ABBA or ELO :(

From my previous lurking on the site, there doesn't seem to have been a great deal released back then that was was not easy listening, at least certainly not in CD4 format. I now understand that was likely due to an older more conservative demographic that was better placed to afford quadraphonic equipment.

Dad bought a second hand JVC 4VR-1006 receiver in the early 1980s to use in the rumpus room/man cave. Although it had a built in demodulator we never hooked up a turntable to it, as we never had a separate turntable. When I bought my first CD player I used this as the amplifier. When I ask to what equipment at home I should hook it up to, the man in the hifi shop said that JVC was a "better brand than Sanyo" , and I then started to understand the concept that there was a hierarchy with audio equipment.

We never had a real to reel player, quad or otherwise, but did have quite a few cassettes. When we bought the Sanyo system, a Sanyo deck was also purchased. We also never had an 8 track (I don't think the format was big here like say in the US) , and although I was quite young back then I don't remember ever seeing one in the car or house of a friend or relative, with the possible exception of spying a reel to reel deck (perhaps an Akai, bars in recent research) in someone's home with an 8 track (or was it a cassette?) on the side. I never knew such a thing existed and only recently I discovered Akai had even made a unit that had R2R, cassette and 8 track.

I'm fascinated in a nerdy way with obselete audio formats, particularly with 8 track despite its purported flaws, partly as it was available in a discrete quadraphonic format. Having said that I am not going to attempt to locate a player and tapes.

We still have the Sanyo unit (I flogged the cassette deck as a trade in to get a newer Yamaha 3 head deck but I no longer mess with that format, so that is gone too) and the 2 JVC units but they only partially work (channels not working, turntable not stopping unless power disconnect) but they have been neglected for many years and now serve as furniture to places vases and photos on :)

I've been on a nostalgia/retro kick and decide I wabr to get a quadraphonic receiver primarily to listen to music with my Multichannel Oppo player as the source. From lurking in this forum, it seems the Sansuis (with apologies to the Pioneer and Marantz fans) are the ones to go for.

I admit part of the appeal is that the old receivers just look so more more impressive than the mass market AVRs that have been pumped out in the last few years.

My plan is to get a QRX-9001 or QRX-7001 and also get the Yamaha NS—1000M speakers for the front (not sure what to use for the back).
Welcome to the “Thunder Dome”! Loved your recap of how you got here! Look forward to seeing your post. Which Oppo model do you own? I have a 103 and regret not stretching the budget for a more advanced model!

My plan is to get a QRX-9001 or QRX-7001 and also get the Yamaha NS—1000M speakers for the front (not sure what to use for the back).
Welcome!
The best thing you could do is find a second pair of NS1000M for the rear. And even one for the center although they are not bilaterally symmetric.
They are one of the best speakers ever built. I don't know about Australia but here in the middle of the Midwest USA I buy them for about $500 to $700 a pair. (often they go higher but if you schop). That is way less than many lesser but factory new speakers. I think they were a pretty big seller in Australia.

Last edited:
Welcome to the “Thunder Dome”! Loved your recap of how you got here! Look forward to seeing your post. Which Oppo model do you own? I have a 103 and regret not stretching the budget for a more advanced model!
Thank you. :) I bought the UDP-205 when it was new (Boxing Day sales). I later acquired a used but mint UDP-203 as a backup, following Oppo's exit from making disc spinners. This was my 4th Oppo (I had an 83 and a 105 and sold them due to trading up).

Their products were an unbeatable combination of built quality, performance and functionality and I was hugely disappointed they exited the market. I don't want to have a player that restricts the type of files I can play from a USB drive. I know there is the Reavon but they are even more expensive and don't have Wifi and who know what other limitations.

Hi all,

New member here from Australia. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join.

I've had plenty of experience with surround sound due to DVD/Bluray and UHD, and I'm on my third AVR, although my speakers have not been updated. I do have a fair few Multichannel SACDs and DVDs Audio discs but unfortunately I have not listened to them as much as I would have liked, as my focus has been on home theatre, but I want to change that.

My first exposure to quadraphonic sound was in the mid 1970s when my parents arrived home with new Sanyo DC6100K system. They brought it home in their tiny VW station wagon and I still remember that one of the large front speakers was in my mum's lap, who was sitting on the front passenger seat, as the rest of the interior was taken up by the other components and other items from their small business.

Later on, a JVC 4DD-5 demodulator and an appropriate stylus was added. Ironically we only ever had four 4 channel records, 2 CD4 discs when we bought the demodulator, a Sanyo Quadsonic demonstration disc that came with the unit and some other (I could tell it was Australian made, the sleeve cardboard was probably 1/3 as thick...) 4 channel disc. I can't tell if the latter 2 discs are SQ format. All of these discs contain that uncool (to me but my dad probably liked it) easy listening instrumental covers of music performed by studio musicians one has never heard of, which seemed typical of a lot of quadraphonic releases then. Sadly nothing by the rock and pop artists of the day that I liked. So no Led Zeppelin, ABBA or ELO :(

From my previous lurking on the site, there doesn't seem to have been a great deal released back then that was was not easy listening, at least certainly not in CD4 format. I now understand that was likely due to an older more conservative demographic that was better placed to afford quadraphonic equipment.

Dad bought a second hand JVC 4VR-1006 receiver in the early 1980s to use in the rumpus room/man cave. Although it had a built in demodulator we never hooked up a turntable to it, as we never had a separate turntable. When I bought my first CD player I used this as the amplifier. When I ask to what equipment at home I should hook it up to, the man in the hifi shop said that JVC was a "better brand than Sanyo" , and I then started to understand the concept that there was a hierarchy with audio equipment.

We never had a real to reel player, quad or otherwise, but did have quite a few cassettes. When we bought the Sanyo system, a Sanyo deck was also purchased. We also never had an 8 track (I don't think the format was big here like say in the US) , and although I was quite young back then I don't remember ever seeing one in the car or house of a friend or relative, with the possible exception of spying a reel to reel deck (perhaps an Akai, bars in recent research) in someone's home with an 8 track (or was it a cassette?) on the side. I never knew such a thing existed and only recently I discovered Akai had even made a unit that had R2R, cassette and 8 track.

I'm fascinated in a nerdy way with obselete audio formats, particularly with 8 track despite its purported flaws, partly as it was available in a discrete quadraphonic format. Having said that I am not going to attempt to locate a player and tapes.

We still have the Sanyo unit (I flogged the cassette deck as a trade in to get a newer Yamaha 3 head deck but I no longer mess with that format, so that is gone too) and the 2 JVC units but they only partially work (channels not working, turntable not stopping unless power disconnect) but they have been neglected for many years and now serve as furniture to places vases and photos on :)

I've been on a nostalgia/retro kick and decide I want to get a quadraphonic receiver primarily to listen to music with my Multichannel Oppo player as the source. From lurking in this forum, it seems the Sansuis (with apologies to the Pioneer and Marantz fans) are the ones to go for.

I admit part of the appeal is that the old receivers just look so more more impressive than the mass market AVRs that have been pumped out in the last few years.

welcome
Aus. is a big place I am in suburbs of melbourne and anold quaddie
If you are near me let me and would like to hear old Quad let me know
Ron (rustyandi )

Welcome!
The best thing you could do is find a second pair of NS1000M for the rear. And even one for the center although they are not bilaterally symmetric.
They are one of the best speakers ever built. I don't know about Australia but here in the middle of the Midwest USA I buy them for about $500 to $700 a pair. (often they go higher but if you schop). That is way less than many lesser but factory new speakers. I think they were a pretty big seller in Australia.
Thank you. The NS1000Ms go for a bit more than that here (they don't call us treasure island for nothing) but they do pop up for sale fairly regularly.

Hello my sonic friends....
Jay here...
Background: late 60s and 70s music era...
Heavy stuff, Motown, psychedelic rock, jazz standards..
Primary interest: multi-channel live concerts..(Who, 70s Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi )

*Significant HF hearing loss, though my enjoyment has not suffered...kind of interesting ..

Been a stereo junkie since i was 15..
Now have nice rig...
Denon 3600
JBL professional
HSU 15" sub
SACD player
NUC with foobar2000, Musicbee

A few SACD , quad releases.
Some ripped dsd and lots of FLAC..

Jay here...
Background: late 60s and 70s music era...
Heavy stuff, Motown, psychedelic rock, jazz standards..
Primary interest: multi-channel live concerts..(Who, 70s Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi )

*Significant HF hearing loss, though my enjoyment has not suffered...kind of interesting ..

Been a stereo junkie since i was 15..
Now have nice rig...
Denon 3600
JBL professional
HSU 15" sub
SACD player
NUC with foobar2000, Musicbee

A few SACD , quad releases.
Some ripped dsd and lots of FLAC..
Welcome and be prepared to developing an itchy “buying finger”!

Jay here...

Welcome in Jay!

I’m sure most of us old farts have HF issues on some level; especially if we enjoyed loud Rock music in our youth. Probably due to too much loud cymbals, but hey who needs ‘em anyway if they’re causing that kind of damage :)

Hello, just joined up! A little background, I purchased my first system in 1973 from the old Pacific Stereo in Denver. I guess that kind of dates me, lol. I had ordered a Marantz 4400, but they were on back order so I settled for a Kenwood KR9340. But teamed up with 4 ESS AMT1’s it was pretty sweet. Finally got the Marantz in 1988, but now it needs a rebuild. Came here hoping to get some feedback on who to take it to!
Love the old school quad, especially CD4.

This thread replaces the old "New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)" thread, which got to be a little on the LARGE side!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...bers-only-members-who-have-never-posted.2843/
Hello you lot.
Loved the idea of quad back in the 70s but like so many never had the money for equipment. God bless DVD Audio and SACD, not forgetting Demonoid, for getting surround to the masses.
Edit: After a couple of hours here I'm in piggy heaven

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I joined this for him a little bit ago pretty recently I think but I didn't get around to my first post till now sorry about that. I'm afraid I may not be able to offer much in terms of my opinion on particular sound as I'm having some snafu sort of issues with my system a rather groovy old system from 20ish years ago. Unfortunately finances are too tight to really do anything so I consider this sort of my learning and aspiration towards eventually being able to set up 5.1 again or better still hopefully atmos or something I can to that. I'm not an audiophile At least I don't think so and that I don't have the finance or knowledge for that I just love the music I love and would like to talk to other people who do that too. Too many to name favorites but amongst them would be Genesis and Peter Gabriel XTC, Hendrix, Yes, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Billy Joel and Elton John. I've enjoyed being exposed to new songs off in one hit wonders even if the quality is deficient on YouTube since it offers a plethora of artisan songs I'd never hear before in particular with the psychedelic songs from roughly 65 through 70. A genre I'm very fond of. I tend to like 60s through '80s with some exceptions for later music. I've always felt a bit the odd man out as my music taste tend to be leaning towards my parents' generation and certainly not my own at least in some of my choices. I am still learning how to navigate the forum. If possible could someone please point me in the right place for this. I need to figure out and have no idea if it's as simple or not expensive or easy do-it-yourself how to fix a multi CD changer one of those late '90s early 2000s 200 CD mega changers. It can play but it's leaving kind of a non-abrasive rectangular mark kind of like a rainbow sheen almost On my CDs. I tried using one of those spinning things with a brush to clear the lens assuming that was the issue and had some improvement but it was still doing it. I didn't want to cause damage to my new CDs so I just stopped but it's a major bummer not being able to listen. All my stuff's pretty groovy aged I don't have the funds for upgrades at this point health based issues make music both a love and interest for a pleasant distraction but also on the simple and older equipment or running to these issues I don't know what to do and I'm interrupting my listening capability other than in the car. I'm not sure if people would even want to hear anyone comment about that since it doesn't I think count as audio file. Hoping I can find something or advice on how to fix this I'm not electrically very knowledgeable so I don't know what to do with the innards to fix this without accidentally damaging it etc. Thank you for listening and allowing me to be part of the forum.

Hiya Blue - Welcome aboard the QQ forums - great to have ya here.

Weird about your CD changer, doing a quick google search all I could find was some problems with a 200 cd changer in a Suburu Forester. Sounds like something definitely has to be cleaned in the machine itself - I suggest you post that question by itself in the STEREO AUDIO & VIDEO COMPONENTS section here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/stereo-audio-video-components.3/
Perhaps someone has the answer

Hoping you post and ask any questions or comments you might have. This place is a pretty friendly place still. So post away and think you will like the QQ forums. WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME :LB :love::LB

Hi everyone. I joined this for him a little bit ago pretty recently I think but I didn't get around to my first post till now sorry about that. I'm afraid I may not be able to offer much in terms of my opinion on particular sound as I'm having some snafu sort of issues with my system a rather groovy old system from 20ish years ago. Unfortunately finances are too tight to really do anything so I consider this sort of my learning and aspiration towards eventually being able to set up 5.1 again or better still hopefully atmos or something I can to that. I'm not an audiophile At least I don't think so and that I don't have the finance or knowledge for that I just love the music I love and would like to talk to other people who do that too. Too many to name favorites but amongst them would be Genesis and Peter Gabriel XTC, Hendrix, Yes, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Billy Joel and Elton John. I've enjoyed being exposed to new songs off in one hit wonders even if the quality is deficient on YouTube since it offers a plethora of artisan songs I'd never hear before in particular with the psychedelic songs from roughly 65 through 70. A genre I'm very fond of. I tend to like 60s through '80s with some exceptions for later music. I've always felt a bit the odd man out as my music taste tend to be leaning towards my parents' generation and certainly not my own at least in some of my choices. I am still learning how to navigate the forum. If possible could someone please point me in the right place for this. I need to figure out and have no idea if it's as simple or not expensive or easy do-it-yourself how to fix a multi CD changer one of those late '90s early 2000s 200 CD mega changers. It can play but it's leaving kind of a non-abrasive rectangular mark kind of like a rainbow sheen almost On my CDs. I tried using one of those spinning things with a brush to clear the lens assuming that was the issue and had some improvement but it was still doing it. I didn't want to cause damage to my new CDs so I just stopped but it's a major bummer not being able to listen. All my stuff's pretty groovy aged I don't have the funds for upgrades at this point health based issues make music both a love and interest for a pleasant distraction but also on the simple and older equipment or running to these issues I don't know what to do and I'm interrupting my listening capability other than in the car. I'm not sure if people would even want to hear anyone comment about that since it doesn't I think count as audio file. Hoping I can find something or advice on how to fix this I'm not electrically very knowledgeable so I don't know what to do with the innards to fix this without accidentally damaging it etc. Thank you for listening and allowing me to be part of the forum.
Hmmm, while I'm not exactly a guru on CD changers, there's nothing to apologize for in having "legacy" gear. I still have my turntable from 1968, and some of my records are over a century. Plenty of gear approaching the half-century mark. One of my pleasures is keeping it going.

Of course, a budget option is to get a CD-playing boom box. Your finances may say that $100 is too much, but maybe not.

If you have a make and model number of the changer, perhaps someone here can find a service manual or better, someone fairly near you who can work on it.

I just found this forum while searching about recording quad vinyl to digital. The reason was to learn if a properly ripped quad album using an AT20SLa cart to 24 bit 96 khz wav files would capture all the encoded signals necessary in order for the playback of the file with full quad sound using decoders currently available on most AV receivers.

My food chain starts with a modded SL 1200 MK3 using a Wayne's Periphery ring with an AT20Sla cart fed into a Project Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Preamp which then sends the signal via USB to my dedicated XP music server using a vintage copy of Sony SoundForge 8.0 for recording @24/96 wav. I also have two Magix programs for further editing and signal processing. I have been ripping vinyl since my first Wollensak 8 Track quad recorder back in the 70's. Now I have been digitizing my vinyl in earnest for the past 15 years finding the software and building the hardware necessary to get the best I can from my vinyl. I have had many Quad discs over the years including DSOTM which I no longer have. Tonight I just ripped my CD-4 copy of the Allman Bros at The Fillmore East. I am hoping that it will actually playback in quad through a Pro Logic decoder and sound the way it should since 96 khz captures the upper frequencies used in the encoding process. I sadly recently found out that 16/48 only gets actual signals up to 24 khz which does not do the job so my old rips in 16/48 just are not going to work.

I also restore and remaster audio for my enjoyment and to overcome the glitches and what not found in the recordings.

Anyway, this is me and I look forward to learning more and contributing what I can to help others indulge themselves in all of this.
Cheers,
Kurt

First, I want to thank all the folks on this forum who unknowingly helped me get a quad rig up and running! Quad has always been a "unicorn" for me. I'd never had the opportunity to hear it, but had heard a lot about it. I often wondered at times if the year and a half journey I was on would be worth it - and it was.

I started by accident, purchasing a JVC 4VN-990 from a local auction that looked mint on the outside, but had a light bulb out and needed a few minor components replaced. Easy stuff, but there was much to learn. At that point, I had no knowledge of the various quad formats, nor that I would need extra gear. Now, I think I can finally say I’ve got it dialed in - though there is always room for improvement - heh.

I’m up to about 20 CD-4 vinyl records and loving them, but I admit some play better than others.

Working gear list:
JVC 4VN-990 integrated amp
JVC 4DD-5 demodulator
JVC 5911 remote
Denon DP-300F Turntable
Audio Technica AT14Sa cartridge
Audio Technica ATN14 Shibata Stylus
Klipsch RP-160M Speakers x4

Thanks again!

--Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Greetings music lovers and friends! My good friend Gil asked me to join and to help with understanding the musical potential of atmos, and the role of mastering atmos. My room is 7.1.4 with Evolution Acoustics MM3 Exact plus Micro Ones. Amps are Allnic Audio A-6000 monos x 2 and 9 ch of Parasound A51, with 2 SVS subs in series. All controlled by Trinnov DMon 12. Speakers are tuned by me in the software to match the curve of the LR mains with no software, so as to mirror the sound of the natural (no DSP) stereo playback. Bricast M1SE converters, which I tuned for Bricasti, used primarily. Fire away with question or concerns about mastering stereo or atmos.

Please allow me to introduce myself...😈🙃

I am new to this community, but not to multichannel music.
It startet more than 25 years ago with Dolby Surround and after DD, DTS and Bluray Audio it finally led me into the past: Quad.
My current setup is a mixture of old and (nearly) modern gear. 3 years ago I bought a JVC-4VN-880. Since it has some problems with the amp-section I use it as a matrix-decoder and switch for different inputs and route it to the analog multichannel-inputs of my Onkyo TX-NR 709.

My latest purchase is an Akai 202D-SS reel to reel machine, that plays and records well, but still needs some work. It came with a couple of Q4-tapes, but since it's hard to find prerecorded tapes (not even talking about prices), I'm going to record them myself from digital sources.

Glad to be part of the community and I hope that I cannot only receive information but also share some experience from time to time.

Back