Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone.
Just looked and I signed up to be a member here 3 years ago and have never posted. I guess it’s about time.

I think I remember finding this place while looking around for Pink Floyd stuff online. Already had the Floyd Immersion boxes and then one day I found Roxy Music -Avalon in SACD at a used shop for 15 bucks, and I’ve been hunting down surround discs ever since.

Thanks to all the cool people on here, I’ve found a few bargains here and there, bought some titles I probably wouldn’t have before, and this site now gets checked daily, even though I never post anything.

Thanks for allowing me to lurk and check stuff out. Keep up the good work!

Hello everyone.
Just looked and I signed up to be a member here 3 years ago and have never posted. I guess it’s about time.

I think I remember finding this place while looking around for Pink Floyd stuff online. Already had the Floyd Immersion boxes and then one day I found Roxy Music -Avalon in SACD at a used shop for 15 bucks, and I’ve been hunting down surround discs ever since.

Thanks to all the cool people on here, I’ve found a few bargains here and there, bought some titles I probably wouldn’t have before, and this site now gets checked daily, even though I never post anything.

Welcome and glad you finally posted. It's not a requirement, but don't be shy. Jump right in if you feel motivated.

Hello everyone.

Hello @Teamcowboys1 greetings sometimes watching isn't enough and one needs to post, it gets easier.

Hello everyone.

Welcome! Lurk all you want , just not around my windows! You might die of fright! Yeah , I was a lurker too! 12 hour shift work wasn't conducive to keeping up with forums. So I didn't indulge much until I retired last Oct. Now I chime in quite often , even when I don't know what I'm talking about!

Last edited:
lurking w/o posting since '16.
been collecting stereo gear since early 80s.
looking for assist with my recently-acquired qrx-9001.
happy to be here.
-jesse
somewhere around austin, tx
Welcome ! What type of assistance are you looking for. As for the QRX-9001 , my opinion is that you have the best quad receiver made. A couple of weeks ago , I took mine to get refurbished by QRXRestore . Can't wait to get it back. Shaking hands with Jim's son at the shop.

Last edited:
lurking w/o posting since '16.
been collecting stereo gear since early 80s.
looking for assist with my recently-acquired qrx-9001.
happy to be here.
-jesse
somewhere around austin, tx
Welcome @unkqty nice to have you here. Your surround spending will increase being an active participant here. You have been warned.

Hey Unkqty - Awwwwwwwwwwwesome ya here - Yep lotta koo stuff here and a ton of awesome koo friendly surroundaholics toooooooooooooo. You are now ONE OF US!!! :LB:SB:LB

Hey Unkqty - Awwwwwwwwwwwesome ya here - Yep lotta koo stuff here and a ton of awesome koo friendly surroundaholics toooooooooooooo. You are now ONE OF US!!! :LB:SB:LB
part of the hoard. had a bit more quad gear incl. qs800 rear amp and date-correct sp-200 speakers for/with another qr1500 but sold them to finance the habit.

Attachments

• MVC-043S.JPG
    MVC-043S.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 278
  • qr1500.jpg
    qr1500.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Hi!

My name is PerfectLife. Lived in the USA for 25 years and now in Europe.

While I always liked music and multi-channel, both blossomed into my huuuge passion after I went to Steven Wilson's concerts mere couple of months ago. I feel so awaken and so sad missing all out for so many years.😭

I have been drinking up your posts with fire-hose and enjoying so much. Thank you all! Now, I finally feel the need to post, um, for an emotional support.

Well, I started to visit audio-shops to set up my real multi-channel audio system. But my experiences are not so good.

They just want to lecture me nonstop; such as my taste of music saying, "it will change once you get a good system" (I like Steven Wilson, Tool, Groove Armada = rock, mainly). Then, I have been told over and over that reason I want multi-channel is because I have not experienced the good 2 channel system with good soundstage. To that, I'd tell them "you don't know what's missing because you have never listened to SW, Beck's Sea of Change or even Pink Floyd with multi-channels."
But they dismiss flatly.

I am already marginalized being female in male dominated Audiophile world and am getting lectures after lectures. Alas. Why in the hell they just aren’t happy to sell me 6 speakers instead of 2?

Have you guys experienced this "true audiophile like 2-channels" condescension?

Thank you for listening! (and forgive me English is not my 1st language) 🙏

perfectlife

Welcome to all things condescending! Just joking. You are in the right place for your newly found love of surround music. You will find all kinds of help on the main page . Depending on your choice of digital or analog , you can pick a hardware thread and start asking for advice. That simple.
A lot of knowledge here and not just from men! Good Luck!

Hey PerfectLife, welcome to the QQ forum! Sounds like you know what you want. You are finding out that those "audiophile" sales guys know nothing about multi-channel music. They hear "multi-channel" and they think "home theatre" which they immediately dismiss as movies only. I've been down that road and I'm not surprised to hear that things haven't changed.

Welcome "PerfectLife" (a great SW track by the way) and I am glad you found us. Yes, we've all been belittled and shamed by know-it-all stereo salesman and audiophiles who do not have the brain capacity to absorb recorded music coming at them from more than 2 locations. It all goes back to the 2 ears, 2 speakers mentality.

And I can't tell you how many times in real life and on the internet someone has pulled that crap "If you heard a good 2 channel system you would not want a surround system". What they can't grasp is that a 2 channel system is NOT a surround system, and while a great impressive 2 channel system is a marvel to behold and listen to, a surround system is a DIFFERENT ANIMAL! It should never be compared to a 2 channel system because it's not one, although it might be perfectly capable of being one! :)

I am so glad you told that guy off. We need more people in the world like you (and the people here). Unfortunately, 99% of the world focuses now on portability over quality - and they really don't care.

PS - Your English is better than some of us! ;)

Welcome "PerfectLife" (a great SW track by the way) and I am glad you found us. Yes, we've all been belittled and shamed by know-it-all stereo salesman and audiophiles who do not have the brain capacity to absorb recorded music coming at them from more than 2 locations. It all goes back to the 2 ears, 2 speakers mentality.

And I can't tell you how many times in real life and on the internet someone has pulled that crap "If you heard a good 2 channel system you would not want a surround system". What they can't grasp is that a 2 channel system is NOT a surround system, and while a great impressive 2 channel system is a marvel to behold and listen to, a surround system is a DIFFERENT ANIMAL! It should never be compared to a 2 channel system because it's not one, although it might be perfectly capable of being one! :)

I am so glad you told that guy off. We need more people in the world like you (and the people here). Unfortunately, 99% of the world focuses now on portability over quality - and they really don't care.

PS - Your English is better than some of us! ;)
We live in a surround world with natural surround sound built in! We are made to hear surround!

Hi!

While I always liked music and multi-channel, both blossomed into my huuuge passion after I went to Steven Wilson's concerts mere couple of months ago. I feel so awaken and so sad missing all out for so many years.😭

I have been drinking up your posts with fire-hose and enjoying so much. Thank you all! Now, I finally feel the need to post, um, for an emotional support.

Well, I started to visit audio-shops to set up my real multi-channel audio system. But my experiences are not so good.

They just want to lecture me nonstop; such as my taste of music saying, "it will change once you get a good system" (I like Steven Wilson, Tool, Groove Armada = rock, mainly). Then, I have been told over and over that reason I want multi-channel is because I have not experienced the good 2 channel system with good soundstage. To that, I'd tell them "you don't know what's missing because you have never listened to SW, Beck's Sea of Change or even Pink Floyd with multi-channels."
But they dismiss flatly.

I am already marginalized being female in male dominated Audiophile world and am getting lectures after lectures. Alas. Why in the hell they just aren’t happy to sell me 6 speakers instead of 2?

Thrilled to have you here, yes just hang out, ask lots of questions and in a very short time you'll be "talking the trash" just like the Pupster. Maybe even better:ROFLMAO: There's soooo much surround music out there just wanting to be found - it's
SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-POLYCARBONITE-EFFERVESCENT!!!:hi

Hi!

But they dismiss flatly.

Welcome, @perfectlife!

Those of us who don't identify as female probably haven't been on the receiving end of the sort of "mansplaining" you experienced (although more than a few of us have probably committed that sin ourselves...). But yes: I'll bet we've all experienced the ignorant pity and/or eye-rolling of dyed-in-the-wool stereophiles.

As others have said: you're in the right place! Tons of knowledge and experience here. Also lots of patience, and very few people who'll try to tell you what to think. Spend time perusing the threads and the resource pages, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

My name is PerfectLife.

Welcome to the forum "perfectlife." It's nice to get a female perspective on things around here as hi-fi and surround sound should not be just a male's domain.

We've all heard the "Who wants to listen to music in surround sound?" lecture from the audio salon people. Allow me to say that my system when playing in 2-channel mode and sitting in the sweet spot is quite a thing to behold...giant tower speakers powered by well over 200 wpc, side-wall imaging at times and depth. But even with all of that, when I switch to surround sound it blows away the best of 2-channel presentations. I'm sure you will be just fine especially with help from those on this forum. Oh, and we're a very friendly lot!

Hiya PL, Yep ya came to the right for all the awesome koo peeps here that have the info :LB you want to know.

So do ask any and all questions ya have..........they will be answered in a non condescending way. Me asked many noobish questions and still do and these people still put up with me :QQlove

Just beware of the resident :LB......Snood. 🤗

Back