Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like the Cicadas, Quadex has sprung up..............just hope Quadex doesn't go mating with every Quady around and go back into hibernation :LOL:

Welcome Welcome Welcome Quadex:LB - Snood attempt at humor above:unsure:

Pretty Koo u got to bring all the old equipment out. How did they sound- any glitches or bugs?:unsure: see what Snood did their? Bugs Cicadas.....Snood make a funny :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi folks- although I joined the QQ forum back in 2011, my quad adventures have laid dormant and I became pretty much a lurker until the current pandemic isolation gave me the time to resurrect and renew my equipment. First I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have persevered in preserving, supporting and expanding awareness for the quadraphonic world of ultra high fidelity that I have loved and entered back in 1972 with the purchase of my Fisher ST-504 SQ receiver with four Large Advent speakers. Over the years I acquired different pieces of mainly Sansui equipment as I felt they seemed to offer some of the best quad hardware available "back in the day". Along with those items I began collecting a number of quad reel-to-reel, Q8 , matrix and CD-4 vinyl recordings to put my equipment to good use. So after a protracted period of dormancy I've finally emerged to join you fine folks in one of the best and most well-organized forums I've come across on the 'Net. I'm the guy who suggested to Jim Showker (RIP) back in 2011 the idea of modding the QRX-9001 to accept the QBL-100 remote control :)

So now that I have almost 50 years invested into the world of quadraphonic, I look forward to learning and sharing all things quadraphonic with y'all for the next 50!! Thanks so much for having me, and above all, please be sure to take good care of yourselves during these unprecedented times. Your devotion to this forum is sincerely appreciated by this quad nut.
Welcome quadex. Loved your story about purchasing the vintage equipment...four Large Advents...matched speakers all around!

Thanks folks- so nice to be part of the flock- you know- "birds of a feather" but in this case the cicada might get swallowed up :) About the only problems I've encountered have been intermittent signals from the RCA connections from my Sansui FR5080S tt to the low impedence Blue Jeans cables recommended for good CD-4 reproduction ( I am getting a strong CD-4 signal as indicated on the QRX-9001 light) and an intermittent volume slider control signal on the Sansui QBL-100 remote. I'm hoping a bit of Corrosion X worked into these contact points might help some of the old age disappear. I have just ordered the Doobies Quadio set, which inspired me to re-listen to the 4 quadradisc versions I already have. Boy oh boy, they STILL sound great!! Anyone else here get a chill when they hear that New Orleans-like"voodoo echo" on the title track from Toulouse Street? --Probably my favorite DB song. Great to be aboard the QQ train!!

Thanks folks- so nice to be part of the flock- you know- "birds of a feather" but in this case the cicada might get swallowed up :) About the only problems I've encountered have been intermittent signals from the RCA connections from my Sansui FR5080S tt to the low impedence Blue Jeans cables recommended for good CD-4 reproduction ( I am getting a strong CD-4 signal as indicated on the QRX-9001 light) and an intermittent volume slider control signal on the Sansui QBL-100 remote. I'm hoping a bit of Corrosion X worked into these contact points might help some of the old age disappear. I have just ordered the Doobies Quadio set, which inspired me to re-listen to the 4 quadradisc versions I already have. Boy oh boy, they STILL sound great!! Anyone else here get a chill when they hear that New Orleans-like"voodoo echo" on the title track from Toulouse Street? --Probably my favorite DB song. Great to be aboard the QQ train!!
Everyone is you friend here!!

2nd question, where would I download a few tracks once I receive my 103?

As I am typing, I am wondering if I should be having this conversation on another thread. I am new to the forum structure.

Many thanks.
Welcome!

This is a recent release in quadraphonic of music really recorded in quadraphonic for quadraphonic play
https://www.wired.com/story/suzanne-ciani-live-quadraphonic/
You will find a list of new albums here: 2020 SURROUND RELEASES

I also started to make quadraphonic music, and released one album (as a video DVD) and working on a new one.

What is so special about quadraphonics? May be for me, I found out that quadraphonic music is thought to fill the whole space, while in a movie, the surround speakers are here to "augment" the sound coming from the front speakers which are describing what you see on the screen... This may change with object based sounds on systems like Atmos or in VR games, where what is in your back is properly defined to the contrary of a movie.

Hi folks- although I joined the QQ forum back in 2011, my quad adventures have laid dormant and I became pretty much a lurker until the current pandemic isolation gave me the time to resurrect and renew my equipment.

So now that I have almost 50 years invested into the world of quadraphonic, I look forward to learning and sharing all things quadraphonic with y'all for the next 50!! Thanks so much for having me, and above all, please be sure to take good care of yourselves during these unprecedented times. Your devotion to this forum is sincerely appreciated by this quad nut.

Welcome back!

Hey everyone. I'm a live sound engineer who is totally out of work at the moment, so what better time to delve into surround sound! I got gifted a small, but decent sounding rig from a family friend who no longer had a place for it in her new house. Started off by playing the couple of Pink Floyd and Rush blu-rays from past boxsets and was instantly hooked. Now i'm going down the Steven Wilson rabbit hole and bought a bunch more albums which are just wonderful.

I found this place because anything that was recommended to me at other places was pretty damn expensive and out of print. I wanted to find a full release list of multichannel discs so I could know what is coming up. I don't want to miss out on anything that I might want. This is definitely the right place to be. I even found out the Chicago Quadio release is back in print, which was bumming me out by how expensive it is elsewhere.

I've been a vinyl guy for most of my adult life, but never had any quad gear, that might just have to change at some point...

I found this place because anything that was recommended to me at other places was pretty damn expensive and out of print. I wanted to find a full release list of multichannel discs so I could know what is coming up. I don't want to miss out on anything that I might want. This is definitely the right place to be. I even found out the Chicago Quadio release is back in print, which was bumming me out by how expensive it is elsewhere.

The poll thread index here is a good place to start for that, but the closest thing I've seen to a complete list of all multichannel releases (included vintage quad LPs/tapes) is @Mark Anderson's brilliant Surround Discography site.

You may want to pre-order the upcoming Doobie Brothers Quadio set as well. The best surround releases do seem to go out-of-print fairly quickly, but there's a lot of good stuff still available & cheap that's worth seeking out. Here's a few recommendations off the top of my head:
  • Yes, XTC, and Gentle Giant CD/Blu-Ray sets with 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson (you mentioned SW already, so I'm guessing you already have some of these)
  • Dutton-Vocalion Quadraphonic SACDs
  • Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination, Eye In The Sky, and Ammonia Avenue Blu-Rays with 5.1 mixes by Alan Parsons
Welcome! :)

The poll thread index here is a good place to start for that, but the closest thing I've seen to a complete list of all multichannel releases (included vintage quad LPs/tapes) is @Mark Anderson's brilliant Surround Discography site.

You may want to pre-order the upcoming Doobie Brothers Quadio set as well. The best surround releases do seem to go out-of-print fairly quickly, but there's a lot of good stuff still available & cheap that's worth seeking out. Here's a few recommendations off the top of my head:
  • Yes, XTC, and Gentle Giant CD/Blu-Ray sets with 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson (you mentioned SW already, so I'm guessing you already have some of these)
  • Dutton-Vocalion Quadraphonic SACDs
  • Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery & Imagination, Eye In The Sky, and Ammonia Avenue Blu-Rays with 5.1 mixes by Alan Parsons
Welcome! :)
Whoa. This is amazing. I went ahead and preordered the Doobie set. Not the biggest fan, but I'm sure it being in quad will change my mind. It already has for some songs i've disliked on a couple of other albums. I do have some of the Yes albums, but I still have to find Tales and Relayer.

I don't have a SACD player yet, but that website will be amazing to go through throughly. I went ahead and got the XTC and APP albums that were easily accessible on amazon. Just have to go hunt on discogs for some of the GG albums and Ammonia Avenue.

Thank you again for all of this! My wife is going to hate this new hobby...

Just have to go hunt on discogs for some of the GG albums and Ammonia Avenue.

I just checked around and most of the usual vendors (Amazon, DeepDiscount, ImportCDs, etc) have it on back-order. Kind of amazing for something that just came out back in March! It bodes well for the rest of the catalog getting similar treatment, I suppose. Fortunately, it's still available direct from Cherry Red/Esoteric.

Whoa. This is amazing. I went ahead and preordered the Doobie set. Not the biggest fan, but I'm sure it being in quad will change my mind. It already has for some songs i've disliked on a couple of other albums. I do have some of the Yes albums, but I still have to find Tales and Relayer.

I don't have a SACD player yet, but that website will be amazing to go through throughly. I went ahead and got the XTC and APP albums that were easily accessible on amazon. Just have to go hunt on discogs for some of the GG albums and Ammonia Avenue.

Thank you again for all of this! My wife is going to hate this new hobby...

I would call these folks and ask them if they could get you a copy...they have brick and mortar stores in addition to their online business...it's pretty easy to get them on the phone

Good day all,

I joined a little over a week ago but waited to say hello.....Hello! :) I've been without surround sound for a few years due to a lot of moving around, but just got my system back up and resumed enjoying and building my library. You don't realize how much you missed it until you have it back again! My last few pickups - Japanese Quad SACD of Bitches Brew, XTC Nonsuch BD-audio, and Yes' Fragile BD-Audio. Doobie Brothers Quadio and Seeds of Love on pre-order. Love reading this forum and looking forward to being a part of it!

Take care,
Gino

Good day all,

I joined a little over a week ago but waited to say hello.....Hello! :) I've been without surround sound for a few years due to a lot of moving around, but just got my system back up and resumed enjoying and building my library. You don't realize how much you missed it until you have it back again! My last few pickups - Japanese Quad SACD of Bitches Brew, XTC Nonsuch BD-audio, and Yes' Fragile BD-Audio. Doobie Brothers Quadio and Seeds of Love on pre-order. Love reading this forum and looking forward to being a part of it!

Take care,
Gino
Awesome you're back on your surround feet Gino, welcome, and await your Snoodlum's initiation :rocks

Back