Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say so. The multichannel audio on SACD or Blu-Ray Audio discs is--in most cases--an entirely new mix created from a multitrack source, giving the remix engineer freedom to position the various instruments and vocals wherever they chose.

Once you're set-up with an SACD player, try the 5.1 mix on the Elton John disc and you'll see--there are loud, isolated sounds hard-panned into the rear speakers in a way you'd never get from playing the stereo mix through a processor like Dolby PLII or DTS Neural.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

Hi all!

I'm Matt. I bought a used 2008 Acura MDX a few years ago and then started down the rabbit hole of surround music I could play in the car. I've often referred to the polls and sometimes the forums as well, but just officially registered the other day. I'll eventually trade up the MDX as it's pretty old at this point, but runs great for now. I don't have an in-home surround setup. I am a vinyl collector and focus on that for my home setup.

I have really enjoyed the Pink Floyd Immersion Box and a bunch of the Opeth surround mixes. I just finished ripping the Soundgarden Batmotorfinger 5.1 mix so I'll be checking that out next time I go for a ride! I wish there was more hard rock and metal in surround. But I enjoy all kinds of music so I've picked up some Diana Krall and Ray Charles stuff in surround, and I've ripped lots of old live DVDs with surround audio. Some of the live Zeppelin and Metallica stuff in surround is truly like being there at the show, even if it isn't super hi res.

I'm also into ambient music and have some of the recently released Robert Rich stuff in 5.1 on order.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to learning from all of you!
Matt

Hiya MG & Lester - Great to have yall become a QQer and ONE OF US!!!!! Muhahahahaaha :QQlove

Thing about the Surround thingy is once your hear your first great 5.1 mix is the search for a the next great 5.1 FIX!! Sometimes they not cheap lol............but they are fun and awesome when they come around.

Snood be waiting for the next Beatles Box, Pink Floyd Animals and the next XTC....and prob a few more in between.

So enjoy your addiction, it is a safe and fun one.......just don't blow your wad all at once. Pace yourself. :giggle: Otherwise those suckers will stack up in a pile of unlistened discs lol :SB:rolleyes::SB

Noob here

I've lurked & taken hints to good surround recordings over the years.
My rig is Pro High End computer driven 5.1 PCM only from a thunderbolt 2 DAS since 2012.
Sounds like being there with recordings like 2L, and great with DSOTM etc.

I had hoped and thought surround music would take off more.
And I was preparing to expand to 5.1.4 but stopped as not much was released.

5 x Genelec 8260 + 7271sub.
All AES/EBU from a Weiss AFI1 DDC to the monitors and Genelec's awesome GLM room correction directly in the monitors.

Mostly hung at Audiophile Style (Computer Audiophile) when I was more active.
Big proponent of digital surround music and careful DSP.

Noob here

My rig is Pro High End computer driven 5.1 PCM only from a thunderbolt 2 DAS since 2012.

All AES/EBU from a Weiss AFI1 DDC to the monitors and Genelec's awesome GLM room correction directly in the monitors.

Welcome @DigiPete - there's plenty of surround music available, depending on your likes and quality standards of course.

Make sure to take full advantage of the Polls to find new potentials
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm
and this thread always has interesting things going through it as well -
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-to-now-in-surround-volume-2.20127/page-1719
🍻

Welcome @DigiPete - there's plenty of surround music available, depending on your likes and quality standards of course.

Make sure to take full advantage of the Polls to find new potentials
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm
and this thread always has interesting things going through it as well -
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-to-now-in-surround-volume-2.20127/page-1719
🍻

Thanks
I'm currently mostly looking for a 6-8ch DAC to drive a 5.1 rig of small active monitors via XLR.
I'll need some room correction (could be in DAC or sw).
Something like the Motu 828ES or Octo Research DAC8 Pro.
NOT impressed with the price/quality ratio of home theatre gear!
I'm sure I'll stumble over something in due time.

Hi all,

I first discovered surround recordings a few years back when Blu Ray audio discs launched. I got hooked on the idea of 5.1 mixes and got an SACD capable Blu Ray player to get access to many of the older releases I had missed. I've been using the surround polls and yearly release lists for a while before joining, but decided I should be a member after all these years. My setup is definitely not audiophile level, and I don't have a lot of the more expensive releases, but I am slowly building my collection.

I hope to see more affordable surround releases like the single disc Blu Ray releases rather than the 6 disc super deluxe releases we have been seeing, so that surround music can be more accessible. I am happy to see Tidal regularly getting Atmos releases, so I may have to get a subscription soon...

Hi all,

I first discovered surround recordings a few years back when Blu Ray audio discs launched. I got hooked on the idea of 5.1 mixes and got an SACD capable Blu Ray player to get access to many of the older releases I had missed. I've been using the surround polls and yearly release lists for a while before joining, but decided I should be a member after all these years. My setup is definitely not audiophile level, and I don't have a lot of the more expensive releases, but I am slowly building my collection.

I hope to see more affordable surround releases like the single disc Blu Ray releases rather than the 6 disc super deluxe releases we have been seeing, so that surround music can be more accessible. I am happy to see Tidal regularly getting Atmos releases, so I may have to get a subscription soon...
Well welcome in Texas!
A lot of us (take me for an example) build up their systems piece by piece over many years, gradually improving. I certainly don’t consider myself an audiophile but I can talk the trash ( mostly!)
Maybe you’ll get lucky and get a rare welcome in greeting from a shy Mr. @Green - and you’ll be smokin’..... :D

Can I ask one more noob question:
Is an Oppo player worth getting? They seem like the most popular for multichannel disc playback. I already have a nice LG 4k blu-ray player but it doesn't play SACDs and DVD Audio discs so I wanted to have a dedicated setup in my back room. Is there a discussion on the different models?
Sorry again if this has been covered in previous threads.

Is an Oppo player worth getting? They seem like the most popular for multichannel disc playback. I already have a nice LG 4k blu-ray player but it doesn't play SACDs and DVD Audio discs so I wanted to have a dedicated setup in my back room. Is there a discussion on the different models?
I would if you can find one, rare as they stopped manufacture. I have a UDP-203 which I luckily got from new, and a 2nd hand BDP-103 I got for a good price a few years ago for ripping SACDs as it has the 'good' chipset that allows that.

Yes an Oppo is worth getting...IMO it's the only real option if you want to listen to hi rez/surround music on discs.....Ebay offers a variety of options for an Oppo purchase...mostly used but there are some new in the box units still available...I have 5 Oppo's...2 I bought brand new and 3 used...my advice....concentrate on the seller....does he/she have a track record of previous sales....examine the comments of previous sales...

What model should you get...if you aren't concerned with 4k...I would get the 103 or 103D unit...those units start at $300....aside from the seller's track record of sales...if it is a used unit I look for one that has all the accessories and packaging material...that is usually an indication that the seller took care of his unit or didn't use it very much...I briefly looked on Ebay when I saw your post...there are quite a few decent deals for used 103's...mostly auction...but there is a new in the box unit that caught my eye...when the 103 was being sold by Oppo it was in the $600 price range...and some would be reluctant to pay twice that amount(or more) for a new unit now...but I would buy this unit if I was looking for another Oppo...I would try to get $100 off the asking price...but if that failed I would pay the full price...because New trumps everything....you don't have to take the sellers word for such declarations as ....MINT...RARELY USED..LIGHTLY USED...and buying an Oppo is a long term investment...if you don't stay active in the hi rez/surround hobby...the Oppo is an excellent bluray player....

Since the Oppos are discontinued and increasingly hard to obtain, may I suggest a Sony UBP-X800M2, It's 4K, It will play SACD & DVDAs, but beware I have the earlier non M2 version and it is fussy about burned discs whereas the Oppo is not.

Is there a recommended "starter" in-home 5.1 setup? I see like Klipsch and Monoprice ads all the time recently in the $400-$600 range but am of course wary of "budget" gear. I love listening in my car but now that I have a collection, and don't drive as much because of COVID, an in-home setup would be great.

I did look first to see if there is already a thread for this, but didn't see anything, so apologies if this post should go elsewhere.

Is there a recommended "starter" in-home 5.1 setup? I see like Klipsch and Monoprice ads all the time recently in the $400-$600 range but am of course wary of "budget" gear. I love listening in my car but now that I have a collection, and don't drive as much because of COVID, an in-home setup would be great.

I did look first to see if there is already a thread for this, but didn't see anything, so apologies if this post should go elsewhere.
The key thing is getting a player (or 2) which will handle all the disc formats you have, then decide on a price and see what system fits your budget, but go for well known and reliable brands. In 2001 I bough about 10/12 discs then got a 'cheap' £250 Yamaha set-up with matching £200-ish Yamaha very 5 tiny (& tinny!) speakers and an iffy sub. But it allowed me to hear the music in surround. I still had some big Acoustic Research AR93 floorstanders for stereo listening. Then once I'd got loads more discs I upgraded the speakers (to Monitor Audio floorstanders), then a better Denon player, then changed the Amp to an expensive Pioneer, then got an Oppo 203.

My view is your music collection must be worth substantially more than your set-up before upgrading, as the whole point is to listen to music in surround/stereo. My music collection must be worth/cost circa £60k, my system probably around £8k-£10k.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I've followed a similar path for vinyl listening. I started with a Crosley TT, second-hand Sony amp and Wharfedale bookshelf speakers, and now I have a Marantz amp and network player, Pro-Ject TT, Monitor Audio floor standers, and high-end cables. I am thinking of starting out but want to make sure I'm getting gear that I can add on to as needed, rather than buy and ditch in 3-5 years. Again, I appreciate your detailed insights @DuncanS!

Hi, everyone.

I’m Mark from the UK, and a new arrival on QQ.

Having listened to vinyl for about 20 years, I recently discovered the world of quadraphonic sound, and caught the bug. I was quite intrigued by this early form of surround sound from pre-digital years, and it’s great to see there’s an entire community who shares my interest!

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I've followed a similar path for vinyl listening. I started with a Crosley TT, second-hand Sony amp and Wharfedale bookshelf speakers, and now I have a Marantz amp and network player, Pro-Ject TT, Monitor Audio floor standers, and high-end cables. I am thinking of starting out but want to make sure I'm getting gear that I can add on to as needed, rather than buy and ditch in 3-5 years. Again, I appreciate your detailed insights @DuncanS!
I'll add one thing I forgot to mention which I have been caught out by. HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) which runs over HDMI, the latest version is HDCP 2.3, my Pioneer AV Amp SCLX86K (which cost me about £2k in 2013) is not compatible with devices which only use HDCP 2.2 (the amp is HDCP 1.4) so nothing gets through as the source switches 'off' its output. I found this out when the Intel NUC I got to use with my FLAC files stored on the NAS Drives wouldn't work with the amp as the NUC is only HDCP 2.2. The Pioneer amp is not upgradable which is irritating considering its cost. By routing the NUC through my Oppo 203 it worked but its not ideal. I just looked at the Yamaha site and a lot of its kit can have its HDCP format upgraded. So picking the 'right' AV amp for longevity is a good idea!

Hi, everyone.

I’m Mark from the UK, and a new arrival on QQ.

Having listened to vinyl for about 20 years, I recently discovered the world of quadraphonic sound, and caught the bug. I was quite intrigued by this early form of surround sound from pre-digital years, and it’s great to see there’s an entire community who shares my interest!
Welcome aboard Rocka - very koo to have ya join up. You will find mega amounts of great info here. :rocks
Noob here

Hiya DigiPete, great to have ya finally come from behind the couch. Seeeee we didn't bite - we might droooooool a lot though :SB
Hi all,

Heya Jaschalk, Yeah those big boxsets are urrrrrrrrrrgh sometimes for sure. But have a feeling a lot of those box set special 5.1s will eventually find their way out to retail. Fingers Crossed. Great to have ya join and become One of Us. We a lil freakish yes but at least we know it and are all freaks of surround. SO enjoooooooooy 🤗:LB🤗

Been here for a short while. I'm in UK and have a sizeable collection of surround discs (DVD, DVDA, SACD and BluRay)
Some of the best sounding discs are:
Steely Dan "Gaucho" on SACD and DVDA, SACD sounds better IMHO
Yello "Point" (BluRay)
Jethro Tull (DVDA) pretty much all of Steven Wilsons mixes are excellent
XTC (BluRay) - see above
Steven Wilson (BluRay) again all of them are great but Raven is the go to one for me

Awesome 2sheds - welcome aboard QQ and those be some kooo awesome discs there for sure :LB :rocks :LB

Snood sure you have many more and will be over flowing sooooooooooooon :SB

Back