Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play everything from computer files as PCM (and can convert ripped SACD).
So all disks ripped for safe keeping, low jitter and ease.

Questions:

1) And news on easy full digital ripping of SACD's?

2) Do most of you still play from actual discs, or is there a reasonable sized splinter group of members ripping everything?

Thanks

Last edited:
I play everything from computer files as PCM (and can convert ripped SACD).
So all disks ripped for safe keeping, low jitter and ease.

Questions:

1) And news on easy full digital ripping of SACD's?

2) Do most of you still play from actual discs, or is there a reasonable sized splinter group of members ripping everything?

Thanks

Your second question is an interesting one...I wonder how many of us still play discs....and how many use a drive....that might make an interesting poll...once you put your music on a drive I can't see why you would play the discs that you used to transfer the music to a drive...I know some people that keep the discs in their packaging as a cosmetic feature to showcase their music....others sell their discs on Ebay after the transfer to a drive...

The pros of keeping your box sets or single discs is for display purposes....you can't show off your music very well on a drive....the con about keeping your discs after transfer to a drive is that some of these discs have problems(rot or other problems)and are worthless....

. . . to showcase their music....others sell their discs on Ebay after the transfer to a drive...

The pros of keeping your box sets or single discs is for display purposes....you can't show off your music very well on a drive....the con about keeping your discs after transfer to a drive is that some of these discs have problems(rot or other problems)and are worthless....

I keep all disks (any kind) in the basement storage for legal reasons.
It's the only proof of ownership as far as I can see!
Unless it's legally downloaded surround files.

I often find the benefit of Bluerays are that I get all formats for the cost of one album, say from 2L.
Different stereo as well as different surround resolutions and channel counts.
Then I keep the entire ISO as well as the formats I actually play in FLAC.

I keep all disks (any kind) in the basement storage for legal reasons.
It's the only proof of ownership as far as I can see!
Unless it's legally downloaded surround files.

I often find the benefit of Bluerays are that I get all formats for the cost of one album, say from 2L.
Different stereo as well as different surround resolutions and channel counts.
Then I keep the entire ISO as well as the formats I actually play in FLAC.

You live in Denmark and you are concerned with legal downloads....when you can walk down the street and pick out a prostitute of your liking and it's legal :cool:

Hello music lovers. I found myself with a little extra time on my hands this past year and decided to update my music. That's when I discovered I had 15 years of surround sound music to catch up on. This site is one of the few places you can get information on what to look for. Buying has proven to be a challenge with so much out of print.

Hello music lovers. I found myself with a little extra time on my hands this past year and decided to update my music. That's when I discovered I had 15 years of surround sound music to catch up on. This site is one of the few places you can get information on what to look for. Buying has proven to be a challenge with so much out of print.

Welcome aboard Tat, and yes we are one of the few if not the ONE :SB

Lotta Koo peeps here, so if ya have any questions, please do ask even if they seem noobish.........that was how Snood learned and am still asking Noob questions after all these years. :LB

Hello from Portland, OR!!

A bit about my surround/high resolution obsession:

My favorite bands?
Talking Heads
New Order
Yello
Kraftwerk
Depeche Mode
Massive Attack

Other music?
Anything on the K7 label
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Tosca (No - not THAT Tosca!)

My favorite albums?
Rumors
Dark Side Of The Moon

My favorite surround recordings?
Dark Side Of The Moon
Anything by Steely Dan
Anything by Elton John
Remain In Light - or anything in the Brick - really.
Stop Making Sense
Rumors
Yello in surround!

Favorite high resolution stereo recording?
Carpenters Singles - man, how did they get Karen to sound SO good? These recordings are from the late 60’s/70’s? I think this is available in surround?

Best place to listen to music?
Sunset on the beach in Camps Bay, South Africa - summer ... with a case of Chocolate Block, friends and a braai. Avalon.

Stuff I NEED in surround?
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Temperamental - Everything But The Girl
Walking Wounded - Everything But The Girl
Lexicon Of Love - ABC. Trevor Horn on the desk.
The whole Yello back catalog - especially the first three albums.
Ms. Grace Jones - anything by Ms. Grace Jones. Trevor Horn under the desk.

Equipment?
Nothing stellar - I use Sonos for non surround
For surround I have an an ageing Denon processor and a 5.1 B&W speaker setup
I’m in the market for a new sub ... I just blew mine playing Sade - No Ordinary Love ... DTS 5.1 ... 😬🙄 ... I’m open to suggestions!! I’ll probably just blow another one with this track anyway. I have very little volume restraint. It’s a problem.

My next tattoo?
What you listen to is way more important that what you listen on.
A tramp stamp, preferably.

Best live music experience?
Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk
David Byrne
Adele

Biggest regrets in life?
Not getting to see Talking Heads live
Seeing New Order live

Sessions I wish I could have attended?
Trevor Horn in the studio with Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Carpenters - just to hear Karen sing live
Sgt Peppers - to be a fly on the wall ...

What am I hoping to get out of this forum?
Exposure to stellar classical and jazz recordings. I’m severely middle aged ... I need to stop this obsession with 70’s/80’s sh#t.
More 70’s/80’s sh#t.

There .. probably waaaaay too much information.

And a big THANK YOU to the moderators and gatekeepers of this forum!

👇My other obsession - mounted with magnets on steel rails I imbedded in the wall.
Rotated frequently.
It’s been a Bowie month.

D13CA92C-E6F9-4F09-BB10-CC7067A01B4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum...I feel your pain of being a later adopter....a lot of us have gone through this....it's costly...but remember this...BETTER LATE THAN NEVER...

Are you a female?

Last edited:
I actually bought my first 5.1 dts disc in the late 90's and continued to buy all the dvd audio and sacd's I could afford, until things seemed to dry up, and I stopped looking. So at least I'm not having to start totally from scratch.

I am a grey haired man...

I actually bought my first 5.1 dts disc in the late 90's and continued to buy all the dvd audio and sacd's I could afford, until things seemed to dry up, and I stopped looking. So at least I'm not having to start totally from scratch.

I am a grey haired man...

That's the first time I have heard a man's tattoo called a "tramp stamp"...just saying

Well welcome in Texas!
A lot of us (take me for an example) build up their systems piece by piece over many years, gradually improving. I certainly don’t consider myself an audiophile but I can talk the trash ( mostly!)
Maybe you’ll get lucky and get a rare welcome in greeting from a shy Mr. @Green - and you’ll be smokin’..... :D
Sorry for the delayed response I just got internet back today after several months. Welcome to everyone I have missed. This is known as (G)rape aka silent g as the
gsc3-26.jpg

Hi, I've just joined and already looking at all the brilliants posts on here and wondering why I took so long to find the forum!
So, I'm 62, I play keyboards in a covers band (when we're allowed to!) and I'm a brand manager / graphic designer for a telecoms company.
I come from a musical family and have been collecting music since my first 7" single in 1966. I have a pretty big CD collection that covers most of my front room back wall, many LPs and 12" singles from my DJ days (although I stupidly sold a load in the 90s which I regret now vinyl is back). I love 3D (big collection of Blurays) and of course surround music. I'm still collecting and have paid some slightly silly money for a few titles I just had to have. The crown jewels is the Kratftwerk Atmos box (of course) which just takes surround sound to another level. I also love XTC and pretty much anything Steven Wilson touches. I'll try to get my collection up here for anyone who is interested.
Technology wise, I have a Denon AVR X2500H, some meaty Paradigm floor standers and centre, a new REL subwoofer and some JBL surrounds and Atmos speakers. I use my trusted Sony X800 player so I can hear DVD-A, SACD and Atmos titles, but I also bought a Sony X700 because weirdly, a few of my surround manufacturers won't play on the X800!
Glad to be on board and thanks for having me!

Hi, I've just joined and already looking at all the brilliants posts on here and wondering why I took so long to find the forum!
So, I'm 62, I play keyboards in a covers band (when we're allowed to!) and I'm a brand manager / graphic designer for a telecoms company.
I come from a musical family and have been collecting music since my first 7" single in 1966. I have a pretty big CD collection that covers most of my front room back wall, many LPs and 12" singles from my DJ days (although I stupidly sold a load in the 90s which I regret now vinyl is back). I love 3D (big collection of Blurays) and of course surround music. I'm still collecting and have paid some slightly silly money for a few titles I just had to have. The crown jewels is the Kratftwerk Atmos box (of course) which just takes surround sound to another level. I also love XTC and pretty much anything Steven Wilson touches. I'll try to get my collection up here for anyone who is interested.
Technology wise, I have a Denon AVR X2500H, some meaty Paradigm floor standers and centre, a new REL subwoofer and some JBL surrounds and Atmos speakers. I use my trusted Sony X800 player so I can hear DVD-A, SACD and Atmos titles, but I also bought a Sony X700 because weirdly, a few of my surround manufacturers won't play on the X800!

WELCOME :hi we are glad to have you!....we have some 3D lovers on here:) you will find a lot of friendly folks on here that are eager to hear from you and help when needed..

Hey @AdeSwat welcome in; what model are your Paradigms; I almost went that route myself?

Back