Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I've just joined and already looking at all the brilliants posts on here and wondering why I took so long to find the forum!
So, I'm 62, I play keyboards in a covers band (when we're allowed to!) and I'm a brand manager / graphic designer for a telecoms company.
I come from a musical family and have been collecting music since my first 7" single in 1966. I have a pretty big CD collection that covers most of my front room back wall, many LPs and 12" singles from my DJ days (although I stupidly sold a load in the 90s which I regret now vinyl is back). I love 3D (big collection of Blurays) and of course surround music. I'm still collecting and have paid some slightly silly money for a few titles I just had to have. The crown jewels is the Kratftwerk Atmos box (of course) which just takes surround sound to another level. I also love XTC and pretty much anything Steven Wilson touches. I'll try to get my collection up here for anyone who is interested.
Technology wise, I have a Denon AVR X2500H, some meaty Paradigm floor standers and centre, a new REL subwoofer and some JBL surrounds and Atmos speakers. I use my trusted Sony X800 player so I can hear DVD-A, SACD and Atmos titles, but I also bought a Sony X700 because weirdly, a few of my surround manufacturers won't play on the X800!
Glad to be on board and thanks for having me!

Welcome aboard AdeSwatty - Your CD collection sounds like mine lol - they breed like bunny rabbits it seems. :SB Great to have ya here and what toooooooooooooooook ya sooooooooo long we been here waiting for yooooooooooooooooooooooooooou :rocks:hi:rocks

Oh can you go into in short if possible - what in general each sound manufacture the 700 will play but the 800 will not - we know the 800 (I think will not play self burned dvd-a) but would be interested in what other quicks you found. :unsure:

Welcome aboard AdeSwatty - Your CD collection sounds like mine lol - they breed like bunny rabbits it seems. :SB Great to have ya here and what toooooooooooooooook ya sooooooooo long we been here waiting for yooooooooooooooooooooooooooou :rocks:hi:rocks

Oh can you go into in short if possible - what in general each sound manufacture the 700 will play but the 800 will not - we know the 800 (I think will not play self burned dvd-a) but would be interested in what other quicks you found. :unsure:
Simply put, I'm a massive XTC fan and when the Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes arrived I was in 7th heaven! However, I'm pretty sure it was Nonsuch that would not play in the X800 - there was quite a bit of chat about it on forums as it affected the PS3 as well - check here: XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification
Being such a massive fan I immediately went out and bought another player, the X700 and it worked fine. I guess I must have read somewhere that someone else had played it ok on a 700. Anyway I think apart from XTC titles, I can't think of any other issues with it. I now have both players - the 700 as back-up, just in case of any repeat issues! Both are great players imo.
I burned a CD the other day and that played on the 800 no problems. Can't say I've tried a DVD-A - haven't made one for years!

Hey all thx for lettng me in :D im a MCH nerd for a longggg time always had a smal Home Cinema und then i discovered DSD and that there are some 5.1 dsd recordings so i looked into what dac i could use and endet on the okto research dac 8 pro and i get awesome audio with and allo USBrige Signature with RopieeeXL as roon endpoint and DSD64 5.1 works flawless. lately i though why not try the dac 8 pro with movies and it works with Cyberlink DVD player pretty nice :) but then a qestion came up to my mind as the Dac8pro only accepts PCM and Powerdvd sends PCM i was thinking about if it is a differnce to decode Dolby TRUE HD via software or hardware ?! should be the same or as its just math and PCM is PCM :) anybody did a test on the quality of a pc software player vs hardware player?

cheers and thx
Janosch

Greetings from Athens, GA! This is my first post here although I have been visiting the site occasionally for your reviews! Like many of you, I'm a fan of the Dutton-Vocalion SACDs and have a particular interest in the resurrection of Quad mixes from the 1970s. Just today I listened to the three-album Argent set, which I bought because I have loved the Zombies for 20 years or so (particularly the Odessey and Oracle album) and wanted to hear more from Argent/White. I love the Beach Boys, Harry Nilsson, the "Sunshine Pop/Soul" genre, an absurd amount of Motown (particularly late 60s/early 70s), and Bob Dylan/Neil Young archive releases. I will listen to nearly anything if it is available in a surround format, although I am seeking help finding a set-up that will consistently play back the surround layer from SACDs. My current set up works great for Blu-ray audio, hit or miss with SACDs, and not at all with DVD-audio. Ideally I would be able to easily play all three since I have all three types of discs. Anyway, I'm very happy to have found this site.

Greetings from Athens, GA! This is my first post here although I have been visiting the site occasionally for your reviews! Like many of you, I'm a fan of the Dutton-Vocalion SACDs and have a particular interest in the resurrection of Quad mixes from the 1970s. Just today I listened to the three-album Argent set, which I bought because I have loved the Zombies for 20 years or so (particularly the Odessey and Oracle album) and wanted to hear more from Argent/White. I love the Beach Boys, Harry Nilsson, the "Sunshine Pop/Soul" genre, an absurd amount of Motown (particularly late 60s/early 70s), and Bob Dylan/Neil Young archive releases. I will listen to nearly anything if it is available in a surround format, although I am seeking help finding a set-up that will consistently play back the surround layer from SACDs. My current set up works great for Blu-ray audio, hit or miss with SACDs, and not at all with DVD-audio. Ideally I would be able to easily play all three since I have all three types of discs. Anyway, I'm very happy to have found this site.

Welcome to the forum :hi sounds like you need to pick up an Oppo...and YOUR government wants you to do this as well....set aside $400 of that government cheese and grab a used Oppo on Ebay...there are many "like minded" souls on here and you will fit right in(y)

If you have a AVR with HDMI,you may consider the Sony 800M2.This plays all the disc's you mentioned and UHD as a bonus. :)
Be beware though that it has no display,you will have to have the TV on to see what's happening.

Thanks for your advice, Clint Eastwood and perzon57! My receiver is an Onkyo HT-R395 that does have HDMI inputs. I have been having a lot of confusion trying to get SACDs to play in surround on it. For a while, it was working, but then a day later it would be front speakers only. I just recently found in the manual that the HT-R395 only supports stereo playback from SACDs, not 5.1 (or in my case, 4.0). So even if I bought an Oppo player, it's possible that this receiver would be the problem preventing me from hearing the quad mixes. Can you suggest receivers that work well with SACDs, specifically the Dutton-Vocalion quad ones? If you could let me know your player, receiver, and connection method, I would be grateful! Also, if anyone has been able to consistently get SACD surround playback through the Onkyo HT-R395, please tell me how you do it! As I said, I have successfully done it in the past, but I don't know if it was a lucky combination of audio settings or what. The input options for audio are HDMI, Optical (stereo only? not sure about this type of connection), and RCA jacks (stereo only). Thank you so much for any help. And now I'm looking at the Oppos on eBay...

I think I found my answer in this thread!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sacd-multi-channel-dsd-from-hdmi-cable.28785/
On my Sony UBP X700 player, under Audio Settings, I had to change "Digital Audio Output" from Auto to PCM. That seemed to work the necessary magic. So I am good as far as Blu-rays and SACDs go, so I am now shopping for something to play this box of Talking Heads DVD-As in HD quality.

Thanks for your advice, Clint Eastwood and perzon57! My receiver is an Onkyo HT-R395 that does have HDMI inputs. I have been having a lot of confusion trying to get SACDs to play in surround on it. For a while, it was working, but then a day later it would be front speakers only. I just recently found in the manual that the HT-R395 only supports stereo playback from SACDs, not 5.1 (or in my case, 4.0). So even if I bought an Oppo player, it's possible that this receiver would be the problem preventing me from hearing the quad mixes. Can you suggest receivers that work well with SACDs, specifically the Dutton-Vocalion quad ones? If you could let me know your player, receiver, and connection method, I would be grateful! Also, if anyone has been able to consistently get SACD surround playback through the Onkyo HT-R395, please tell me how you do it! As I said, I have successfully done it in the past, but I don't know if it was a lucky combination of audio settings or what. The input options for audio are HDMI, Optical (stereo only? not sure about this type of connection), and RCA jacks (stereo only). Thank you so much for any help. And now I'm looking at the Oppos on eBay...

Not sure which player you have but most have a SACD DSD to PCM output option over HDMI. Quite a few Receivers can't handle 4.0 and only output stereo but that is another issue.

So, I guess I missed this thread when I started posting. Sorry about that, here goes:

Hi my name is Andrew and I have been an audiophile for about one year now. But I've started doing the steps and I believe I'm in full recovery. And now for less cliche crap!

I'm in my early to mid 30s and I've only recently discovered surround music. Just before lockdown hit last year, I got a new turntable, my first that wasn't a cheap piece of garbage, which is a Technics SL-1400, that I've done some small mods to, and I'm pretty happy with it. When I bought it, the lady who sold it to me gave me some random leftover records from her late husband's collection. Two of those were quadraphonic records. Anyways, I had no idea what the heck quadraphonic music was (I mean, I could surmise from the name, it's pretty obvious, but I had never heard anything in quadraphonic), and I started googling, found out that I need some crazy decoder, decided "screw it, I'll just try out some of these 5.1 mixes I suddenly found". I've been hooked ever since.

I recently lucked into a Phat, backwards-compatible, PS3 for free and I've ordered a few SACDs to do some ripping.

If I'm honest I have some surround content right now that wasn't necessarily obtained legally, but it's the only way I have/had of trying it out without going whole hog and spending thousands on gear and music, because that's how I do things. So, now I'm on a quest to both buy all the music that I'm "trying before buying" and yes, I mean every single album, and to expand that.

I'm also the kind of guy who will stop at nothing in single-person campaigns to get companies to support formats and fix things, as well as wage total and complete warfare on bands and labels to get them to release multichannel albums. I also preach the truth of the multichannel gospel wherever I go. My last major crusade was for a remaster of Alice in Chains' Facelift on Vinyl. I'm not exactly claiming credit, but... mission accomplished. Next: ELO's Time. I just hope I don't have to go it alone as much as I did AIC. I want ELO's Time remixed with less compression, on vinyl and in 5.1 and/or Atmos, though Sony owns his catalog so Atmos is never happening. Thanks Sony for being format assholes! Literally nothing supports their stupid 360 Audio except for with headphones.

I play back things I've ripped, etc, using Kodi on my nVidia Shield TV Pro, hosted on a different computer on my network, into a Yamaha RX-V6A that I've recently bought. I have Elac Debut 2.0 Fronts, centers, and surrounds, and some crappy "presence" speakers that are about to be replaced by SVS Prime Elevations, and two SVS PB-1000 Pro subwoofers that just came in last week and holy crap are they amazing. In fact, they kind of outclass the rest of my speakers.

I had Tidal for Atmos, but I've listened to almost all the content on it that I care for to death. The only album I will really miss is Kraftwerk's 3-D the Catalog, which I intend on purchasing soon-ish, but it's not a top priority for me at the moment.

Hey I’m new and looking for quad 8-tracks any info would be great. eBay isn’t giving much of a selection. Put a pick of what I’ve gotten so far. I’m rocking a sansui qrx-5500 with a 4channel technics player with all vintage Sansui speakers. I’m loving the quadraphonic sound.

Attachments

• ED2F3EC6-5134-4E8F-AB15-E3D33A0FF0CF.jpeg
    ED2F3EC6-5134-4E8F-AB15-E3D33A0FF0CF.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 79
So, I guess I missed this thread when I started posting. Sorry about that, here goes:

Hi my name is Andrew and I have been an audiophile for about one year now. But I've started doing the steps and I believe I'm in full recovery. And now for less cliche crap!

I'm in my early to mid 30s and I've only recently discovered surround music. Just before lockdown hit last year, I got a new turntable, my first that wasn't a cheap piece of garbage, which is a Technics SL-1400, that I've done some small mods to, and I'm pretty happy with it. When I bought it, the lady who sold it to me gave me some random leftover records from her late husband's collection. Two of those were quadraphonic records. Anyways, I had no idea what the heck quadraphonic music was (I mean, I could surmise from the name, it's pretty obvious, but I had never heard anything in quadraphonic), and I started googling, found out that I need some crazy decoder, decided "screw it, I'll just try out some of these 5.1 mixes I suddenly found". I've been hooked ever since.

I recently lucked into a Phat, backwards-compatible, PS3 for free and I've ordered a few SACDs to do some ripping.

If I'm honest I have some surround content right now that wasn't necessarily obtained legally, but it's the only way I have/had of trying it out without going whole hog and spending thousands on gear and music, because that's how I do things. So, now I'm on a quest to both buy all the music that I'm "trying before buying" and yes, I mean every single album, and to expand that.

I'm also the kind of guy who will stop at nothing in single-person campaigns to get companies to support formats and fix things, as well as wage total and complete warfare on bands and labels to get them to release multichannel albums. I also preach the truth of the multichannel gospel wherever I go. My last major crusade was for a remaster of Alice in Chains' Facelift on Vinyl. I'm not exactly claiming credit, but... mission accomplished. Next: ELO's Time. I just hope I don't have to go it alone as much as I did AIC. I want ELO's Time remixed with less compression, on vinyl and in 5.1 and/or Atmos, though Sony owns his catalog so Atmos is never happening. Thanks Sony for being format assholes! Literally nothing supports their stupid 360 Audio except for with headphones.

I play back things I've ripped, etc, using Kodi on my nVidia Shield TV Pro, hosted on a different computer on my network, into a Yamaha RX-V6A that I've recently bought. I have Elac Debut 2.0 Fronts, centers, and surrounds, and some crappy "presence" speakers that are about to be replaced by SVS Prime Elevations, and two SVS PB-1000 Pro subwoofers that just came in last week and holy crap are they amazing. In fact, they kind of outclass the rest of my speakers.

I had Tidal for Atmos, but I've listened to almost all the content on it that I care for to death. The only album I will really miss is Kraftwerk's 3-D the Catalog, which I intend on purchasing soon-ish, but it's not a top priority for me at the moment.

Wow Snood really digs this AXington - Loves ELO Time WOW - don't find many of us that love it that much. It my fave by ELO...well next to Eldorado that is. :unsure: Ax fell into Surround by accident, so did Snooooooood. Hates Sony soooo do Snoooood. And has Elacs and ahem Snood somewhat do to if me ever get those things connected lmao.

Welcome aboard AX - you get the Snood Banana Pudding Seal of Approval :LB:rocks:LB Welcome aboard :51QQ

Hey I’m new and looking for quad 8-tracks any info would be great. eBay isn’t giving much of a selection. Put a pick of what I’ve gotten so far. I’m rocking a sansui qrx-5500 with a 4channel technics player with all vintage Sansui speakers. I’m loving the quadraphonic sound.

Heya Retro Fluff Welcome aboard QQ - Hey if ya looking for Q8s maybe post also in the Quadraphonic Tapes section here.

Lotta people can help you with any questions and maybe might be selling also. Good Luck and welcome aboard :LB

Wow Snood really digs this AXington - Loves ELO Time WOW - don't find many of us that love it that much. It my fave by ELO...well next to Eldorado that is. :unsure: Ax fell into Surround by accident, so did Snooooooood. Hates Sony soooo do Snoooood. And has Elacs and ahem Snood somewhat do to if me ever get those things connected lmao.

Welcome aboard AX - you get the Snood Banana Pudding Seal of Approval :LB:rocks:LB Welcome aboard :51QQ

I love the idea of ELO's Time. I like the songs. But the mixing and mastering are so bad they're painful. Just squashed to the point that songs that should be all time greats like Twilight, are just middle of the road. They lack punch and the drums are so muted they're barely there. I'd have been really pissed if I were Bev Bevan.

Forgot to ask, does this site have any resources/guides for ripping DVD-A or SACD? I found one guide for DVD-A using foobar and a plugin, but I kept getting error messages like this:
13 out of 13 files converted with major problems.

Source: "G:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65793
Destination: "E:\raw_rips\Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth\01. All the Love in the World.flac"
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.033
Track converted with major problems.

Forgot to ask, does this site have any resources/guides for ripping DVD-A or SACD? I found one guide for DVD-A using foobar and a plugin, but I kept getting error messages like this:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/converting-mch-discs-101-overview.22384/https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/For DVD-A, I'd recommend DVD-Audio Extractor ($35 after 30-day trial) or DVD-Audio Explorer (free).

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/This is on another forum and has gotten to be 140 pages long. Just read the beginning few pages.
The guy that runs the thread is a really great guy and will answer peoples questions. He is very savvy about this particular skill.
His handle is "Mikey Fresh"

beerking posted it too. (it was before I joined so I just saw the above. others have too.

I'm in my early 20s so I missed out on quad by over 20 years and was too young to care when dvd-a and sacd happened. I started collecting records and tapes I was probably 7 or 8. Back then I had an old realistic amp I bough at a yard sale with a dead channel and a 4 speed record changer I got from my grandpa's house that had some issues but it was good enough for me to play the 78s and Herb Alpert records I was buying at antique and thrift stores. I heard about quad records at some point probably in my early teens but didn't know much about them. My first real encounter with quad was when we were visiting one of my dad's friends from college and he showed us two quadraphonic 8 track tapes but didn't have a way to play them. I had recently started collecting 8 tracks and had no idea there were quadraphonic 8 tracks so I thought it was the coolest thing. After returning home from that trip I found the quadradisc of Danny Davis' Nashville Brass - Bluegrass Country which was one of the two albums I had seen the quad 8 track of (what are the odds of that). I was obsessed with trying to play it after seeing a video of someone using some sdr software to playback the carrier on a cd-4 record. The attempts to play it didn't go too well but I thought it sounded kind of cool despite being a distorted mess. Eventually I also found one SQ record and a crappy decoder but I really got into quad when on vacation about two years ago I finally found some quad 8 tracks at an antique store. There were probably seven or eight of them but I only bought two because I figured I would never find a player. When I got home I went on ebay and ended up wining a JCPenney quad 8 track player for only about $30 shipped and I really regretted not buying all those quad tapes. Since then I have been built up a decent collection of surround music on various formats.

I'm in my early 20s so I missed out on quad by over 20 years and was too young to care when dvd-a and sacd happened. I started collecting records and tapes I was probably 7 or 8. Back then I had an old realistic amp I bough at a yard sale with a dead channel and a 4 speed record changer I got from my grandpa's house that had some issues but it was good enough for me to play the 78s and Herb Alpert records I was buying at antique and thrift stores. I heard about quad records at some point probably in my early teens but didn't know much about them. My first real encounter with quad was when we were visiting one of my dad's friends from college and he showed us two quadraphonic 8 track tapes but didn't have a way to play them. I had recently started collecting 8 tracks and had no idea there were quadraphonic 8 tracks so I thought it was the coolest thing. After returning home from that trip I found the quadradisc of Danny Davis' Nashville Brass - Bluegrass Country which was one of the two albums I had seen the quad 8 track of (what are the odds of that). I was obsessed with trying to play it after seeing a video of someone using some sdr software to playback the carrier on a cd-4 record. The attempts to play it didn't go too well but I thought it sounded kind of cool despite being a distorted mess. Eventually I also found one SQ record and a crappy decoder but I really got into quad when on vacation about two years ago I finally found some quad 8 tracks at an antique store. There were probably seven or eight of them but I only bought two because I figured I would never find a player. When I got home I went on ebay and ended up wining a JCPenney quad 8 track player for only about $30 shipped and I really regretted not buying all those quad tapes. Since then I have been built up a decent collection of surround music on various formats.
Hello & Welcome RPG!
Nice intro & interesting history. I am delighted that someone in their early 20's is still discovering the fun side of surround sound & music. When you get a chance how about sharing what music you like & more details on your current gear? You are in the company of enablers, er, friends that will certainly be glad to help you expand both. :devilish:

Back