Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello & Welcome RPG!
Nice intro & interesting history. I am delighted that someone in their early 20's is still discovering the fun side of surround sound & music. When you get a chance how about sharing what music you like & more details on your current gear? You are in the company of enablers, er, friends that will certainly be glad to help you expand both. :devilish:

My current setup is a Realistic QA-681 Amp with a pair of Baby Advent IIs in the front and some Polk Monitor 40 Series IIs in the rear. Turntable is a modified AT-LP120-USB (the usb and preamp board has been removed) with a VM540ML cartridge. For quad vinyl decoding I have a Sony SQD-2070 for SQ and a JVC 4DD-5 for CD-4. The rest is a Panasonic RS-845US for 8 tracks, a JVC KD-65 for cassettes, and a PC for digital audio. Switching is done by some component video selectors for quad sources and a DJ mixer for stereo sources.

The music I listen is fairly diverse. One day I might be listening to classical and the next day it might be metal. I would say overall most of what I listen to is 70s-90s rock. During the past month I've been playing the Allman Brothers at Fillmore East a lot as I recently got both the quadradisc and the blu-ray set and currently as I write this I am listening to the Doobie Brothers Quadio.

My current setup is a Realistic QA-681 Amp with a pair of Baby Advent IIs in the front and some Polk Monitor 40 Series IIs in the rear. Turntable is a modified AT-LP120-USB (the usb and preamp board has been removed) with a VM540ML cartridge. For quad vinyl decoding I have a Sony SQD-2070 for SQ and a JVC 4DD-5 for CD-4. The rest is a Panasonic RS-845US for 8 tracks, a JVC KD-65 for cassettes, and a PC for digital audio. Switching is done by some component video selectors for quad sources and a DJ mixer for stereo sources.

The music I listen is fairly diverse. One day I might be listening to classical and the next day it might be metal. I would say overall most of what I listen to is 70s-90s rock. During the past month I've been playing the Allman Brothers at Fillmore East a lot as I recently got both the quadradisc and the blu-ray set and currently as I write this I am listening to the Doobie Brothers Quadio.
Is the 540ML working well for CD-4?

Is the 540ML working well for CD-4?

I currently have about twenty CD-4 records and almost all of them play perfectly with the 540ML. The one giving me the most trouble is Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown which I have two copies of and they both distort but neither is in very good shape. The others two that give me trouble are Elvis Aloha from Hawaii Which distorts some but isn't as bad as Sundown and The Best of The Doors which doesn't distort but doesn't seem to separate very well. The rest of my CD-4 records have good separation and either don't distort or if they do it's barely noticeable.

I currently have about twenty CD-4 records and almost all of them play perfectly with the 540ML. The one giving me the most trouble is Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown which I have two copies of and they both distort but neither is in very good shape. The others two that give me trouble are Elvis Aloha from Hawaii Which distorts some but isn't as bad as Sundown and The Best of The Doors which doesn't distort but doesn't seem to separate very well. The rest of my CD-4 records have good separation and either don't distort or if they do it's barely noticeable.
Thanks, I assumed that the 540ML is good for CD-4 but hadn't really heard much from from actual users, I have 440MLB which has been trouble free with most CD-4s.

I'm in my early 20s so I missed out on quad by over 20 years and was too young to care when dvd-a and sacd happened. I started collecting records and tapes I was probably 7 or 8. Back then I had an old realistic amp I bough at a yard sale with a dead channel and a 4 speed record changer I got from my grandpa's house that had some issues but it was good enough for me to play the 78s and Herb Alpert records I was buying at antique and thrift stores. I heard about quad records at some point probably in my early teens but didn't know much about them. My first real encounter with quad was when we were visiting one of my dad's friends from college and he showed us two quadraphonic 8 track tapes but didn't have a way to play them. I had recently started collecting 8 tracks and had no idea there were quadraphonic 8 tracks so I thought it was the coolest thing. After returning home from that trip I found the quadradisc of Danny Davis' Nashville Brass - Bluegrass Country which was one of the two albums I had seen the quad 8 track of (what are the odds of that). I was obsessed with trying to play it after seeing a video of someone using some sdr software to playback the carrier on a cd-4 record. The attempts to play it didn't go too well but I thought it sounded kind of cool despite being a distorted mess. Eventually I also found one SQ record and a crappy decoder but I really got into quad when on vacation about two years ago I finally found some quad 8 tracks at an antique store. There were probably seven or eight of them but I only bought two because I figured I would never find a player. When I got home I went on ebay and ended up wining a JCPenney quad 8 track player for only about $30 shipped and I really regretted not buying all those quad tapes. Since then I have been built up a decent collection of surround music on various formats.

Welcome to the forum :hi

Hi Everyone,
I'm 61 years old, so it's been awhile back in time, but I remember my first stereo when I was 12 years old (1972) being an inexpensive 4-channel/quad system with an 8-track player as the source of the quad sound, and can remember how cool that quad demo tape sounded when we first set that stereo up! That system was gone a few years later as I traded up for better 2-channel components all the way into the 1990's in search of that elusive "best" stereo sound (at least for what I could afford!). After the 1990's I bought mostly home theater stuff only. I currently have a new hobby of repair/restorations of 1970's (mostly) stereo equipment. I recently I obtained a Pioneer QX-949 in need of repair/restoring. My intention is keeping it to set up a quadraphonic system for playback of old SQ/QS and Quadradisc LP albums (and also maybe also some Reel to Reel content if I can find a nice machine in need of repair?). I joined this forum to see if I can get some help/advice with some questions about integrating newer components into this system? Maybe take advantage of the recent releases of old quad 4.0 content on DVD-Audio and/or SACD? I will search to see if I can find links recommending some solutions for this. Any help along these lines is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Everyone,
I'm 61 years old, so it's been awhile back in time, but I remember my first stereo when I was 12 years old (1972) being an inexpensive 4-channel/quad system with an 8-track player as the source of the quad sound, and can remember how cool that quad demo tape sounded when we first set that stereo up! That system was gone a few years later as I traded up for better 2-channel components all the way into the 1990's in search of that elusive "best" stereo sound (at least for what I could afford!). After the 1990's I bought mostly home theater stuff only. I currently have a new hobby of repair/restorations of 1970's (mostly) stereo equipment. I recently I obtained a Pioneer QX-949 in need of repair/restoring. My intention is keeping it to set up a quadraphonic system for playback of old SQ/QS and Quadradisc LP albums (and also maybe also some Reel to Reel content if I can find a nice machine in need of repair?). I joined this forum to see if I can get some help/advice with some questions about integrating newer components into this system? Maybe take advantage of the recent releases of old quad 4.0 content on DVD-Audio and/or SACD? I will search to see if I can find links recommending some solutions for this. Any help along these lines is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!
Greetings & Welcome Surf!
That's an interesting history... an favorable impression of quadraphonic's when you're 12 yo old & it lingers. Until it comes back, blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes!

Anyway you'll find lots good folks & good info. Somewhere there is already a thread posted about the repair on the 949 including the level scope. Poke around & make liberal use of the forums search engine. Looking forward to your future posts.

Hi All,

I've been a member for awhile now, but I wanted to post this before any more time goes by! I remember when quadraphonic came out when I was in high school but I didn't know anyone in my circle of friends who had a system. I had one album in Quad, the Doobie Brothers Vices...Habits album that played fine on my stereo at the time. Decades later in the 2000s I had accumulated a few discs that happened to include surround mixes: the Beatles Love, the SACD of Townsend's new mixes of Tommy, and the SACD of the Beautiful Mind soundtrack. I put together a 5.1 system in 2009 for music playback and I've been at it ever since. I didn't really start collecting multichannel discs avidly until a few years ago. I added an OPPO last year that plays back my 5.1 FLAC albums beautifully. I used the Penteo plugin to convert all of my stereo collection to 5.1 FLAC albums as well. Anyway, you guys have helped me tremendously in so many ways on this forum!

Hi Everyone,
Hi All,

I've been a member for awhile now, but I wanted to post this before any more time goes by! I remember when quadraphonic came out when I was in high school but I didn't know anyone in my circle of friends who had a system. I had one album in Quad, the Doobie Brothers Vices...Habits album that played fine on my stereo at the time. Decades later in the 2000s I had accumulated a few discs that happened to include surround mixes: the Beatles Love, the SACD of Townsend's new mixes of Tommy, and the SACD of the Beautiful Mind soundtrack. I put together a 5.1 system in 2009 for music playback and I've been at it ever since. I didn't really start collecting multichannel discs avidly until a few years ago. I added an OPPO last year that plays back my 5.1 FLAC albums beautifully. I used the Penteo plugin to convert all of my stereo collection to 5.1 FLAC albums as well. Anyway, you guys have helped me tremendously in so many ways on this forum!

Hi Surf & Swam

Welcome aboard QQ - glad ya joined and decided to post :LB Ya both please do post any and all questions ya might have fo sho.....Surf if you put your Legacy Quad questions in that section Snood is sure ya get most if not all your questions answered. Swam, tons of new great stuff out there or coming out also so hang onto your wallet lol :eek::SB:eek:

Hello everyone. New to the forum, and yes I do have a quad system from the mid 70's. By 1980, I had boxed it up and since I retired in 2020 in May, I decided to resurrect it and bring it back to life. Here is what I have for equipment:
Pioneer SX-525 Receiver
Pioneer QL-600 Quadralizer
JVC 4dd-5 CD-4 Disc Demodulator
Audio Technica AT12s Cartridge and Stylus
Rega 1 Turntable
Yamaha CD-S300BL CD Player
Denon_DCD-610 CD Player
Sony CDP-315 CD Player
Teac A-4300SX Reel to Reel
Nakamichi BX-150 Cassette Deck
Nakamichi MR-2 Cassette Deck (2x)
Onkyo TA-R301 Cassette Deck
The cassette decks were just added last year. I had some old cassettes that I recorded back in the 70's and early 80's and wanted to play them. I also have a Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs that still works.

I had to buy a new turntable last year which is the Rega 1. My old turntable, a Technics SL-L20 Linear Tracking Turntable which is a P-mount which would not work with my Audio Technica. cartridge.

My Pioneer SX-525 had a few issues I had to fix. I had a couple of burned out bulbs, and I had to replace a cap that would cause a "thumping" sound when adjusting the bass control. Got those fixed and got the unit cleaned up. Looks new.

I really wanted a 4 channel reel to reel, but the prices are quite high so I settled for my 2 channel Teac A-4300SX that I picked up via Face Book market place. I required some major cleaning, and I had a tech replace about a dozen caps. Got it cleaned and lubed. I also replaced the 2 wooden side panels with real wood.

As for quad LP's, I have the following:
AMERICA - HEARTS
DAVE MASON - ITS LIKE YOU NEVER LEFT
DOOBIE BROTHERS - STAMPEDE
DOOBIE BROTHERS - THE CAPTAIN AND ME
EAGLES -ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE
GORDON LIGHTFOOT - SUNDOWN
GORDON LIGHTFOOT - COLD ON THE SHOULDER
JACKSON BROWN - LATE FOR THE SKY
JEFF BECK, TIM BOGERT, CARMNE APPICE
JETHEO TULL - AQUALUNG
JOE WALSH - THE SMOKER YOU DRINK THE PLAYER YOU GET
MIKE OLDFIELD - TUBULAR BELLS
PINK FLOYD - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
RICK WAKEMAN - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
SANTANA - SANTANA
SEALS & CROFT - SUMMER BREEZE
SHOSTAKOVICH - SYMPHONY NO 15
THE DOORS -BEST OF THE DOORS
CARLY SIMON - NO SECRETS

Looking back now, I wish I would have purchased more quad LP's, but when you're young and foolish (i.e. in your 20's) and have multiple hobbies, money was tight.

Forgot to mention my speakers - they were custom made with my buddy. I wish I would have kept the info on them.

Attachments

• Audio System2.jpg
    Audio System2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 84
Hello everyone. New to the forum, and yes I do have a quad system from the mid 70's. By 1980, I had boxed it up and since I retired in 2020 in May, I decided to resurrect it and bring it back to life. Here is what I have for equipment:
Pioneer SX-525 Receiver
Rega 1 Turntable
Denon_DCD-610 CD Player
Sony CDP-315 CD Player
The cassette decks were just added last year. I had some old cassettes that I recorded back in the 70's and early 80's and wanted to play them. I also have a Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs that still works.

I had to buy a new turntable last year which is the Rega 1. My old turntable, a Technics SL-L20 Linear Tracking Turntable which is a P-mount which would not work with my Audio Technica. cartridge.

My Pioneer SX-525 had a few issues I had to fix. I had a couple of burned out bulbs, and I had to replace a cap that would cause a "thumping" sound when adjusting the bass control. Got those fixed and got the unit cleaned up. Looks new.

I really wanted a 4 channel reel to reel, but the prices are quite high so I settled for my 2 channel Teac A-4300SX that I picked up via Face Book market place. I required some major cleaning, and I had a tech replace about a dozen caps. Got it cleaned and lubed. I also replaced the 2 wooden side panels with real wood.

AMERICA - HEARTS
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE
JETHEO TULL - AQUALUNG
SANTANA - SANTANA
CARLY SIMON - NO SECRETS

Looking back now, I wish I would have purchased more quad LP's, but when you're young and foolish (i.e. in your 20's) and have multiple hobbies, money was tight.

Forgot to mention my speakers - they were custom made with my buddy. I wish I would have kept the info on them.
Welcome. Nice to hear about original owner quad equipment coming back out of the closet! If you keep your eyes open in thrift stores and record store dollar bins you can still turn up quad LPs at rock bottom prices, especially middle-of-the-road and classical (as you list Shostakovich).

Hi Everyone.
Actually I'm not repelling steel. Repelsteeltje is dutch for Rumpelstiltskin, so nobody knows my name.
I have always been a music lover. In 1970 I left my parents' home and soon I bought a stereo system. Being a poor student I could not afford a quad system.
A roommate of mine decided to leave for India for a year and I could use his speakers for a construction that was called (if I remember correctly) the Hafler circuit. Some records sounded amazing this way, others not so.
When my roommate returned, I went back to plain stereo, which was fine by me.

Many years later, in 2011 my amplifier (Pioneer SA500) broke down and I had to buy a new amp. In the store they offered me a Denon AVR1312, it was returned by a customer because he could not connect all his analog devices. Since it costed only 160 euro (that's about 200 usd) I bought it and used it as a stereo amp. I liked it and it is still in use in my bedroom.

A few years later my sons friend told me his parents were going to throw away a modest Philips surround set. I could have it and soon I connected the center and surround speakers of it to my Denon receiver. I used it for movies but I suddenly realised that I could use it for surround music too.
That was the start of my surround hobby. At that moment it had not cost me a lot of money, but in the years after I bought a new Denon receiver and a few speakers so I have surround sound in my living room as well as in the bedroom.

By using this forum's Surround Polls I discovered a lot of surround music, and many of my favorite records I have in glorious surround now. I think I have more than 250 surround albums. Most rock/pop, a few classical or jazz. I rip all my disks as soon as I buy them and store them on my media player (Mede8er 800X3D).

I like this forum because there is a wealth of information here and the people are nice and polite.

Ugh, I've lurked here for ages, but only joined recently. Back in the day, I had a Sony SQD-2050 Half-logic decoder and a small collection pf SQ LPs. A Southwest Technical Products CD-4 demodulator and Audio Technical CD-4 cartridge were part of the kit, but literally, the SWTP demod was a kit and I was only just learning to solder, and poorly (so that never worked). Front channel amp was an Electro-Voice EV-5 receiver, while the rear channel was a stereo amp I bought at Olson Electronics and had neither case nor a AC-to-DC transformer for power. Front speakers were a local design, while rears were old TV cabinets with drivers from Lafayette Radio Electronics. I had something from Allied as well.

But in spite of this past and a 30-year career in information technology doing everything from punching unit record cards to designing single-board process controllers, I AM LOST trying to get multi-channel playback to work consistently with my new digital age tech. So far, the only thing that definitely works as it should is playing back the "HTML5 AAC Audio Playback Tests - Multichannel" on the web browser built into the LG TV and back through my Yamaha RX-V385 digital receiver via HDMI cable. But using the same browser to go to 5.1 channel tests on YouTube collapses everything to the front 3 channels.

So there I am. I've scratched around here but am wading through a lot. I hope someone can point out a discussion thread that will help me zero-in on my problem. Although if I live long enough, lol, no doubt I'll read every thread!

Ugh, I've lurked here for ages, but only joined recently. Back in the day, I had a Sony SQD-2050 Half-logic decoder and a small collection pf SQ LPs. A Southwest Technical Products CD-4 demodulator and Audio Technical CD-4 cartridge were part of the kit, but literally, the SWTP demod was a kit and I was only just learning to solder, and poorly (so that never worked). Front channel amp was an Electro-Voice EV-5 receiver, while the rear channel was a stereo amp I bought at Olson Electronics and had neither case nor a AC-to-DC transformer for power. Front speakers were a local design, while rears were old TV cabinets with drivers from Lafayette Radio Electronics. I had something from Allied as well.

But in spite of this past and a 30-year career in information technology doing everything from punching unit record cards to designing single-board process controllers, I AM LOST trying to get multi-channel playback to work consistently with my new digital age tech. So far, the only thing that definitely works as it should is playing back the "HTML5 AAC Audio Playback Tests - Multichannel" on the web browser built into the LG TV and back through my Yamaha RX-V385 digital receiver via HDMI cable. But using the same browser to go to 5.1 channel tests on YouTube collapses everything to the front 3 channels.

So there I am. I've scratched around here but am wading through a lot. I hope someone can point out a discussion thread that will help me zero-in on my problem. Although if I live long enough, lol, no doubt I'll read every thread!

Hellooo Daiyu! Pleased to meet you.

You certainly dropped some classic names in your intro. Fun to read those again. As for newer digital stuff your not alone in frustrations here. Most everyone here has ran into some new fangled challenges. While you listed some cool stuff in the past, what is the newish gear you have causing frustration? I always like to point out that in the "about" section of your profile you can list all the gear you have. Strictly optional but handy if someone wants to do a quick check before replying to your post.

Have fun & use the QQ search function liberally!

Pioneer SX-525 Receiver
Rega 1 Turntable
Denon_DCD-610 CD Player
Sony CDP-315 CD Player

AMERICA - HEARTS
FRANK ZAPPA - APOSTROPHE
JETHEO TULL - AQUALUNG
SANTANA - SANTANA
CARLY SIMON - NO SECRETS

First of all, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have quite a nice setup there. One thing that's of concern is the turntable. If it doesn't have low capacitance wiring, cartridge to demodulator, you may have a problm with CD-4. Your cartridge and demodulator are good, but the tonearm-to-demodulator wiring could be a bugaboo for the system's performance. If you have a reliable service center in your area, you might want to have that checked out.

..snip..

While you listed some cool stuff in the past, what is the newish gear you have causing frustration? I always like to point out that in the "about" section of your profile you can list all the gear you have. Strictly optional but handy if someone wants to do a quick check before replying to your post.

Yes, the search is pretty standard, this site looks like its driver by a popular PHP forum site package I used some years back for my guild in an MMORPG I used to haunt.

I bought the Yamaha RX-V385 digital receiver in November 2020, and the LG UN7000PUC flatscreen TV (which runs WebOS) in December 2020. I also have an LG Tribute Royal (what a name, lol), which runs Android 9. My wireless provider (Assurance Wireless) seems to have disabled the cast function that should be present in Android 9. However, two apps, Castify and XCast, fill in the gap here. LG also disabled being able to set the SD card as the default write location. But at least I can put a ton of media in the 64gb SD card.

An older "Proton" tablet running Android 4.4 (KitKat) is connected to the TV and runs an old copy of Kodi called FTMC Media Center. Mostly I use it for the white-on-black digital clock on the bigscreen when not otherwise in use.

My current goal is to figure out what combination of mojo is needed to get that Fraunhofer test WAV to play correctly in some manner other than from the TV's internal web browser. Playing that test from its web page in any other way, including from Chrome on the phone and Chrome on the tablet, folds the rear L&R into the front L&R. Center works as expected.

I downloaded the WAV file from Fraunhofer. It collapses the rear into the front from every media player I've tried, notably, VLC.

On the Proton tablet (Android 4.4), the built-in Google Play Music player properly sends multichannel content, sending it to the correct speakers. But not VLC or FTMC (Kodi). Playing directly on all the browsers on the device ("Browser", Chrome, and SRware Iron [Chromium-based] all collapse the rear into the front.

Trying to play the several 5.1 tests on YouTube, using the built-in YouTube app, or in the browser, folds the rear into the front.

The LG Tribute Royal fails and folds except Castify which taps the Android 9 "Audio" app and properly casts all channels to the TV with proper speaker assignments. But not XCast. This "Audio" app, doesn't show up in the list of installed apps, but as a generic icon like Duo, Camera, Phone, Gallery, Email, etc. Dunno why I can't find it.

So that's where I'm at.

-Dai

First of all, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have quite a nice setup there. One thing that's of concern is the turntable. If it doesn't have low capacitance wiring, cartridge to demodulator, you may have a problm with CD-4. Your cartridge and demodulator are good, but the tonearm-to-demodulator wiring could be a bugaboo for the system's performance. If you have a reliable service center in your area, you might want to have that checked out.

Oh, that first paragraph describe my 1970s setup. I haven't had that since... the 1990s, I guess. I lived in a basement protected by constantly failing sump pumps. I even lost my first computer, a Processor Technology SOL-PC I built myself, and a SOL-20 I bought later. And an S-100 crate that sat on my SOL-PC. Not let in the basement but lost to me was a Pr1me 2455 minicomputer running PRIMOS 23.4.Y2K, and three HP/Apollo Domain systems that ran AutoCAD. At least I have emulators for all the computers. My first computer is in a currently-closed computer museum in Seattle. But I digress...

-Dai

On the Proton tablet (Android 4.4), the built-in Google Play Music player properly sends multichannel content, sending it to the correct speakers. But not VLC or FTMC (Kodi). Playing directly on all the browsers on the device ("Browser", Chrome, and SRware Iron [Chromium-based] all collapse the rear into the front.

Trying to play the several 5.1 tests on YouTube, using the built-in YouTube app, or in the browser, folds the rear into the front.

The LG Tribute Royal fails and folds except Castify which taps the Android 9 "Audio" app and properly casts all channels to the TV with proper speaker assignments. But not XCast. This "Audio" app, doesn't show up in the list of installed apps, but as a generic icon like Duo, Camera, Phone, Gallery, Email, etc. Dunno why I can't find it.

Ok, after changing FTMC (Kodi) on the tablet to play more than 2 channels (lol), I got that working consistently. Then I also tried a few other 5.1 test programs on YouTube (app on the tablet) and found SOME videos play with correct channel assignments, some don't. So it's a content difference. Listened to the Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM and I'm lovin' it.

It obviously helps to post long, embarrassingly-detailed pleas for help. ;)

-Dai

Weeeeeeeeeeelcome aboard Daiyu - awesome ya joined us. Why so lurky so long, we nice people here :unsure: cept some goofball named Snood :giggle:

Would suggest you ask your question also in another topic thread and probably will get a lot more attention in a section that corresponds to it in particular.

Welcome aboard and please do ask all the questions or post all the comments ya want or need to. Lotta koo friendly people here. :rocks

Back