Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weeeeeeeeeeelcome aboard Daiyu - awesome ya joined us. Why so lurky so long, we nice people here :unsure: cept some goofball named Snood :giggle:

Would suggest you ask your question also in another topic thread and probably will get a lot more attention in a section that corresponds to it in particular.

Welcome aboard and please do ask all the questions or post all the comments ya want or need to. Lotta koo friendly people here. :rocks
I had my 2nd Covid jab on Monday I was standing in the queue waiting to go in when :eek: the guy in front was told no Snoods, they don't like Snoods in there, Snoods are banned!! :unsure: Are they QQ lurkers and joined in the joke?

Hi, great to be here! I’m a mostly retired audio mixer/sound designer/producer dabbling in home surround listening. My home studio system is modest after working with the finest and most expensive gear all my life, I use Genelec speakers for mixing and Pro Tools, standard stuff. At the moment I’m building my 3rd pair of speakers from Parts-Express and they are all pretty great. There’s no way I could afford the rooms I worked in that cost over $500k!

I hope to remix some of my catalog in quad, I’m not a big fan of 5.1 for music, it involves lots of spoken word which practically begs for it though. If and when, I’ll post here for feedback, this is a great community!

Hi, great to be here! I’m a mostly retired audio mixer/sound designer/producer dabbling in home surround listening. My home studio system is modest after working with the finest and most expensive gear all my life, I use Genelec speakers for mixing and Pro Tools, standard stuff. At the moment I’m building my 3rd pair of speakers from Parts-Express and they are all pretty great. There’s no way I could afford the rooms I worked in that cost over $500k!

I hope to remix some of my catalog in quad, I’m not a big fan of 5.1 for music, it involves lots of spoken word which practically begs for it though. If and when, I’ll post here for feedback, this is a great community!
Hello and glad your here! It would be great to hear more about your past projects. And what you've got going on in the future.

Me love Parts Express too. Genelec plus DIY 🤔.

Hello All!

Brand new to the forum and somewhat new to surround sound formats. Long time musician, relatively newer sound artist and visual artist. Happy to be here and learn from everyone! Over the past few months I have been working with Kamran (cykik) on using the QUARK software to translate some sound art projects of mine into the quad realm. Huge thanks to him and the Dublab organization for helping facilitate! One project just exhibited recently in quadraphonic at an art space in LA here called NAVEL, and I uploaded it here to youtube as well.

More to come! I will be perusing around the forum here and there as I become more involved in quad sound ! ! Nice to meet you all <3

Hello All!

Brand new to the forum and somewhat new to surround sound formats. Long time musician, relatively newer sound artist and visual artist. Happy to be here and learn from everyone! Over the past few months I have been working with Kamran (cykik) on using the QUARK software to translate some sound art projects of mine into the quad realm. Huge thanks to him and the Dublab organization for helping facilitate! One project just exhibited recently in quadraphonic at an art space in LA here called NAVEL, and I uploaded it here to youtube as well.

More to come! I will be perusing around the forum here and there as I become more involved in quad sound ! ! Nice to meet you all <3
The NAVEL link isn't working
Edit: I think I found it, NAVEL

Last edited:
Hello, all. Been a fan of surround sound since it became a thing on DVDs. Was around during the quadraphonic vinyl days, but a bit too young for it to register or to have that thing called money for purchasing them. Now that it has a format via DVD-A, SACD, and BR, I'm a big fan and have a reasonable collection. My system is more setup for for movies in that it is 5.1 and has bipolar rears. Perhaps one day I'll go to 7.1 and throw my rears on the sides and change out my rears, but that's way off in the future. I think the surround format opens up an entirely new way to listen to music and wish more artists would do it for their back catalog. It can be immersive and dreamlike, a la Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree, or it can simply separate the music with great effectiveness and balance, giving one an appreciation for the layers, the execution, and the composition itself, a la Beatles' "Abbey Road", Bryan Adams' "Reckless", or a lot of the Elton John mixes. There is no one way or reason to enjoy the format.

Looking forward to getting informed on the subject and hopefully learning a thing or two, as well as offering my own takes and ratings.

Hello, all. Been a fan of surround sound since it became a thing on DVDs. Was around during the quadraphonic vinyl days, but a bit too young for it to register or to have that thing called money for purchasing them. Now that it has a format via DVD-A, SACD, and BR, I'm a big fan and have a reasonable collection. My system is more setup for for movies in that it is 5.1 and has bipolar rears. Perhaps one day I'll go to 7.1 and throw my rears on the sides and change out my rears, but that's way off in the future. I think the surround format opens up an entirely new way to listen to music and wish more artists would do it for their back catalog. It can be immersive and dreamlike, a la Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree, or it can simply separate the music with great effectiveness and balance, giving one an appreciation for the layers, the execution, and the composition itself, a la Beatles' "Abbey Road", Bryan Adams' "Reckless", or a lot of the Elton John mixes. There is no one way or reason to enjoy the format.

Looking forward to getting informed on the subject and hopefully learning a thing or two, as well as offering my own takes and ratings.

Welcome aboard Fetch - something tells me you might like our Beer thread toooooo :SB

Koo to have ya on board and yep yep yep and yep to everything you said and more yeps - Snood abides!!:LB Hope to see ya posting and asking any and all questions you might have, that what Snood dooooooooo :LB:rolleyes::LBSnood was a true Noob when me came on here in like 2013 - a lot may argue Snood still is a Noob :giggle:

Wowzers, uh, I completely missed this thread.
Hey, I'm Mr. Afternoon, and I've been here a while. I grew up on 5.1 and really like music (duh). I play the guitar and saxophone (badly) and I sing too, to boot. I like barbequing, jogging, the woods, and acting like I'm 80 years old when I'm not. And I am horribly, horribly out of touch with news and pop culture. I have the weirdest 5.1 setup imaginable, and I have the weirdest mindset about mixing too. LOL. Let's have a fun time together guys!

Hey, I'm Mr. Afternoon, and I've been here a while. I grew up on 5.1 and really like music (duh). I play the guitar and saxophone (badly) and I sing too, too boot. I like barbequing, jogging, the woods, and acting like I'm 80 years old when I'm not. And I am horribly, horribly out of touch with news and pop culture. I have the weirdest 5.1 setup imaginable, and I have the weirdest mindset about mixing too. LOL. Let's have a fun time together guys!

BUT YOU SURE KNOW YOUR SHIT. IF ONLY ALL ALBUMS WERE RECORDED AND MIXED INTO 5.1 LIKE THE GOLDEN BONANA WE'D ALL BE HAPPY CAMPERS!

And don't tell me MISTER!

pepe-the-frog-trippy.gif

Call me Jack. First name kinda hard to pronounce/spell.

Hey, I'm Mr. Afternoon, and I've been here a while. I grew up on 5.1 and really like music (duh). I play the guitar and saxophone (badly) and I sing too, to boot. I like barbequing, jogging, the woods, and acting like I'm 80 years old when I'm not. And I am horribly, horribly out of touch with news and pop culture. I have the weirdest 5.1 setup imaginable, and I have the weirdest mindset about mixing too. LOL. Let's have a fun time together guys!

Heya Mr. Afty - Nice to meet ya and and interesting you list as one of your likes "jogging the wood", so do Snoo ......oh wait.....you said jogging and the woods oooops nevermind :giggle: :rolleyes::giggle:

Great to have ya aboard and enjoy the QQ forums - watch out for that Snood guy though :LB

Heya Mr. Afty - Nice to meet ya and and interesting you list as one of your likes "jogging the wood", so do Snoo ......oh wait.....you said jogging and the woods oooops nevermind :giggle: :rolleyes::giggle:

Great to have ya aboard and enjoy the QQ forums - watch out for that Snood guy though :LB

See the source image
AND SNOOD APPLAUDS Mr. AFTERNOON'S SENSATION: THE GOLDEN BONANA!:QQlove

Well I have done it, AGAIN! Invested way too much time, energy and treasure and gone quad. Went through the beginning stage with a Sony SQD1000, not so good. Had to fix the damming thing as the glue on the power supply caps had started eating traces! One Mylar cap had a leg completely eaten from corrosion! Got a service manual fixed it then fully recapped it. Yeah it works but something more was needed.
I got the SQD 2050 next, solder joints on the duel sided PCB needed touched up. Then a recap. Worked better for sure.
Then I found a SQD 2020 cheep. Had one meter busted and I was able to fix that, microscope time! It like the 2050 had a lot of bad solder joints. Fixed that and then did a full recap. DAMN! Big difference! But the Enoch Light test LP and some things I have been hearing told me it needs a calibration. I am waiting on parts to make the calibration adapter per the service manual and some corrections I have found on this sight.

I have been an established member on Tapeheads for a number of years, too many to count. I have been servicing reel to reels for more then 5 years. I also do some cassette decks.

The other parts of the "quad" system are a Teac 3340S I had to change the heads on, it came from a radio station out near LA where I lived in Colton Ca. I drug it out here to Georgia when I moved with the rest of the crap I have accumulated. Poor little F150 over loaded for sure! This old stuff is heavy!

The 3340S had many problems from hacks, took some time to find all the problems. I recapped that as well and did a full calibration on it.

Other stereo decks include a Teac A6300, Teac A1500, Teac A3300S half track and an Otari MX5050BIII but that one is getting sold. I also have a Teac C1 that is in pieces right now. Haven't had time for that one yet. Tascam 122 and a Concept ELC.

Turntables are Yamaha YP-D8 and a Concept 2QD

Back