Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Moly Johnster - The landfill is gonna hate you in coming years with all that equipment.......damn lights must dim a lot in your neighborhood :eek: :ROFLMAO::eek:

Welcome to our Neighborhood in QQ - glad ya joined up and make sure to ask plenty of questions and please partake in the friendly discourse toooooooo :LB

Tapeheads huh?? I just got my Sansui SC 3110 and Nakamichi 581 cassette decks all serviced up :SB No reel to reel tho :unsure:

Awesome ya here :rocks

Yeah I got more junk then that but hey, can't list it all! I moved out here from Colton Kalifornia and I sold off a Akai GX 270D that I just recapped and yes I can lap GX heads and yes they do need lapped from time to time! I also got rid of a Revox turntable as well as a A77! Oh yeah way too much junk!

Who needs a Teac worked ON? Well heck I shouldn't be trying to make money here yet but I do work on decks and have some sells coming up soon.

Well I have done it, AGAIN! Invested way too much time, energy and treasure and gone quad. Went through the beginning stage with a Sony SQD1000, not so good. Had to fix the damming thing as the glue on the power supply caps had started eating traces! One Mylar cap had a leg completely eaten from corrosion! Got a service manual fixed it then fully recapped it. Yeah it works but something more was needed.
I got the SQD 2050 next, solder joints on the duel sided PCB needed touched up. Then a recap. Worked better for sure.
Then I found a SQD 2020 cheep. Had one meter busted and I was able to fix that, microscope time! It like the 2050 had a lot of bad solder joints. Fixed that and then did a full recap. DAMN! Big difference! But the Enoch Light test LP and some things I have been hearing told me it needs a calibration. I am waiting on parts to make the calibration adapter per the service manual and some corrections I have found on this sight.

I have been an established member on Tapeheads for a number of years, too many to count. I have been servicing reel to reels for more then 5 years. I also do some cassette decks.

The other parts of the "quad" system are a Teac 3340S I had to change the heads on, it came from a radio station out near LA where I lived in Colton Ca. I drug it out here to Georgia when I moved with the rest of the crap I have accumulated. Poor little F150 over loaded for sure! This old stuff is heavy!

The 3340S had many problems from hacks, took some time to find all the problems. I recapped that as well and did a full calibration on it.

Other stereo decks include a Teac A6300, Teac A1500, Teac A3300S half track and an Otari MX5050BIII but that one is getting sold. I also have a Teac C1 that is in pieces right now. Haven't had time for that one yet. Tascam 122 and a Concept ELC.

Turntables are Yamaha YP-D8 and a Concept 2QD

A GENUINE "TAPEHEAD!" Welcome to the forum, johns82. You certainly came to the right place. Do you also collect QUAD Reel to Reel Tapes from the 70's?

Hi from Poland!
Took me a couple of tries and some help from Tim on facebook (those eastern-european IPs look suspicious, apparently 😄) but finally got in!

Got into surround music with those Depeche Mode reissues years back, then got into vinyl (was a sucker for the large artwork) but been enjoying some pristine digital surround recently (the Tears for Fears 5.1 sets were my way back I think).

Other surround favourites include: Bjork, the E.S. mixes of R.E.M.'s WB stuff, Bowie (Visconti's good, Maslin- not so much), Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (wish those mixes were more adventurous though), Nine Inch Nails.

Happy to have found this place!

Last edited:
Hi from Poland!
Took me a couple of tries and some help from Tim on facebook (those eastern-european IPs look suspicious, apparently 😄) but finally got in!

Got into surround music with those Depeche Mode reissues years back, then got into vinyl (was a sucker for the large artwork) but been enjoying some pristine digital surround recently (the Tears for Fears 5.1 sets were my way back I think).

Other surround favourites include: Bjork, the E.S. mixes of R.E.M.'s WB stuff, Bowie (Visconti's good, Maslin- not so much), Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (wish those mixes were more adventurous though), Nine Inch Nails.

Great, welcome! Your English is super!!!

Hi from Poland!

Witamy !

Nice introduction and a good collection of music. I hope you make your self at home & look forward to your future posts. I will also point out there is a place in your user profile to list all your audio gear, etc. Strictly optional but good to do.

Say "hello" to Basia for me!! :)

Hello,

I am Jim Petit, a professional composer and musician from the upper valley of Vosges Moutains in France. I was invited by Jan from Surround Music One to introduce myself. Here we go :)

I'm 41, my main instrument is lap steel guitar since my teens. I am also a Moog synths player. Since my debut album back in 2005, I've played and recorded music with a stone carver, blues rock and world music musicians, The Bratislava Symphony Orchestra, Strasbourg Opera Youth Choir...

Since 2015, I've focused myself on field recording of the soundscapes surrouding my place. All this work is based on superimposing the seasonnal soundscapes for several places (woodland, lakes, moutains tops...). I invit people to discover the compositions thanks to soundwalks and quad live perfomance/listening in my barn or art venues. My last two projects (available as quad flac files at Surround Music one) are based on an original technique I've developped to prepar the Moog oscillators, filters, enveloppes, etc. and to know the tempi, rythmic signatures and notes of the lakes waters, parent rocks or earth currents of the moutains. I use a dowser pendulum. Solstices & Equinoxes (music of soundscapes, Moog synths, slide guitars and wind orchestra) and Au son des lacs were produced this way.

Thought I've always wanted to produce my music in surround, I only started in 2016 to work in Quad. To me, as a composer, Quad is the right system to produce immersive experience for the listeners.

My studio is in the barn where the 4 monitors are setted in a cross shape (front left is North, front Right is West, back Right is South and back Left is East) with a radius of 7 meters. It helps to pan the field recording. I use a Foscusrite interface, Ableton Live with a Max for live patch for surround recording/live performance and LogicPro for mixing/mastering.

Cheers,

Jim Petit

Hello,

I am Jim Petit, a professional composer and musician from the upper valley of Vosges Moutains in France. I was invited by Jan from Surround Music One to introduce myself. Here we go :)

I'm 41, my main instrument is lap steel guitar since my teens. I am also a Moog synths player. Since my debut album back in 2005, I've played and recorded music with a stone carver, blues rock and world music musicians, The Bratislava Symphony Orchestra, Strasbourg Opera Youth Choir...

Since 2015, I've focused myself on field recording of the soundscapes surrouding my place. All this work is based on superimposing the seasonnal soundscapes for several places (woodland, lakes, moutains tops...). I invit people to discover the compositions thanks to soundwalks and quad live perfomance/listening in my barn or art venues. My last two projects (available as quad flac files at Surround Music one) are based on an original technique I've developped to prepar the Moog oscillators, filters, enveloppes, etc. and to know the tempi, rythmic signatures and notes of the lakes waters, parent rocks or earth currents of the moutains. I use a dowser pendulum. Solstices & Equinoxes (music of soundscapes, Moog synths, slide guitars and wind orchestra) and Au son des lacs were produced this way.

Thought I've always wanted to produce my music in surround, I only started in 2016 to work in Quad. To me, as a composer, Quad is the right system to produce immersive experience for the listeners.

My studio is in the barn where the 4 monitors are setted in a cross shape (front left is North, front Right is West, back Right is South and back Left is East) with a radius of 7 meters. It helps to pan the field recording. I use a Foscusrite interface, Ableton Live with a Max for live patch for surround recording/live performance and LogicPro for mixing/mastering.

Cheers,

Jim Petit
Bienvenue!

Hello,

Cheers,

Jim Petit
Welcome to QQ Jim!

Hello,

Cheers,

Jim Petit

Welcome aboard Jim - Any buddy of Jan is a buddy of Snood - Welcome aboard and very koo to read your background. Wow Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. You will enjoy it here - losta koo people and they are niiiice and freindly tooooo. :love:

Hi from Poland!

Oooops forgot to say Hi Alek - Welcome aboard the QQ express and glad to have ya aboard. Glad ya got in :SB

Hi I'm Chuck from Atlanta, Ga and 53 years young/old, depending on your perspective, non-musician music lover. I have a modest 7.2.2 Sony, Marantz, Polk Atmos surround living room setup that I think sounds incredible. I would like to think I check most of the boxes to be labeled an audiophile but that is another debate. Many of my own observations of the new surround mixes coming out are confirmed in the other members reviews here so I don't feel totally out of place.

My music interest is all over the place but my surround collection is mainly limited to the Beatles deluxe releases as well as the Pink Floyd deluxe stuff and a smattering of other items, Talking Heads, Alan Parson's etc. I'm a big fan of the Tears for Fears two releases also. I have a few live concerts and my absolute favorite is the Roy Orbison, Black and White Night. My most recent purchases were the Let It Be and Momentary Lapse of Reason deluxe editions. I'm looking forward to more reviews and I thank everyone for their contributions. They are excellent reads!

Hi I'm Chuck from Atlanta, Ga and 53 years young/old, depending on your perspective, non-musician music lover. I have a modest 7.2.2 Sony, Marantz, Polk Atmos surround living room setup that I think sounds incredible. I would like to think I check most of the boxes to be labeled an audiophile but that is another debate. Many of my own observations of the new surround mixes coming out are confirmed in the other members reviews here so I don't feel totally out of place.

My music interest is all over the place but my surround collection is mainly limited to the Beatles deluxe releases as well as the Pink Floyd deluxe stuff and a smattering of other items, Talking Heads, Alan Parson's etc. I'm a big fan of the Tears for Fears two releases also. I have a few live concerts and my absolute favorite is the Roy Orbison, Black and White Night. My most recent purchases were the Let It Be and Momentary Lapse of Reason deluxe editions. I'm looking forward to more reviews and I thank everyone for their contributions. They are excellent reads!
Hello Chuck! You're hardware seems most impressive. And your musical interests makes me think you will have a lot of good friends here. Looking forward to knowiing you better!

I have seen some awesome concerts in Atlanta! Queen at the Omni 1980! The Kinks at Chastain 1989! The Kinks at the Roxy 1993! Off the top of my head.

Hiya Bootsy :SB :LB:SB Welcome aboard QQ and glad to have ya.

Koo list of surround stuff ya got there, but be forewarned, by being here that list will probably grow immensely......hope ya got enough room \o/ :rocks

Make sure ya post and ask any and all questions or comments you may have even if you think they might be nooby questions. Peeps here are always more than happy to help and that is how Snood did it toooooo and still do....... they have yet to throw me out the door. :unsure: right everybody??:unsure:;)

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. :LB

Hello! and Greetings from the Great White North!

I’ve been lurking on QQ for a number of years. My interest for all things surround comes from an exposure to MC SACD‘s (Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits among others), MC DVD-A and HD Blu-Ray concerts. It rose even more when I hooked a Black Ice F360 in my stereo 2.2 set up and added back speakers for ‘ambiance’ (Black Ice and the F360‘s concepter Jim Fosgate do not pretend to be true surround). I began to wonder what a true quad would sound like.

This week I pulled the trigger for a new Surround Master V3. I’m looking forward to hear how my stereo will sound once up mixed to the different 4.0 thru 5.1 formats. This will be a journey of discovery that I anticipate eagerly.

All the best!

Heya Papa - Awesome to have ya here at the Great Mixed Bag QQ 😋

As you know lotsa peeps here willing to help with annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnything - so ask any questions ya have and comment away - even if you think it kinda nooby....that How me did it and still do.

Now go out and get those Black Friday USA deals :LB (yeah know you way up there, but still)

Thanks!
Heya Papa - Awesome to have ya here at the Great Mixed Bag QQ 😋

As you know lotsa peeps here willing to help with annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnything - so ask any questions ya have and comment away - even if you think it kinda nooby....that How me did it and still do.

Now go out and get those Black Friday USA deals :LB (yeah know you way up there, but still)
Thanks! That's the plan! Cheers!

Hi folks, long time lurker finally inspired to join after rebuilding my listening room to be 7.1.
The resurgence in multichannel on bluray has been wonderful, after SACD fell by the wayside. Still on the lookout for interesting Dutton Vocalion discs and those large slipcover jazz releases from Sony Japan.
I'm also on the hunt for interesting DVD releases after acquiring a car with Mark Levinson surround.

Back