Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone from Phoenix Arizona. I've owned 5 Acuras over the years that have the ELS Surround Sound system and in the past I had a horde of DVD-Audio discs.

My grandfather got me into the world of audio equipment. He worked for Bell Labs and his specialty was acoustics and he had a lot of interesting stories to tell me while we fiddled with his various ham radios.

Hello everyone.
Just looked and I signed up to be a member here 3 years ago and have never posted. I guess it’s about time.

I think I remember finding this place while looking around for Pink Floyd stuff online. Already had the Floyd Immersion boxes and then one day I found Roxy Music -Avalon in SACD at a used shop for 15 bucks, and I’ve been hunting down surround discs ever since.

Thanks to all the cool people on here, I’ve found a few bargains here and there, bought some titles I probably wouldn’t have before, and this site now gets checked daily, even though I never post anything.

Thanks for allowing me to lurk and check stuff out. Keep up the good work!
Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself. Glad to have another bargain hunter amongst the ranks. Hopefully you'll Emmitt the community as much as I am!!
James in Virginia

Hi, quick intro. I’m a Canadian based Kiwi, a music collector for over 40 years, now mostly a Hi Res and Multichannel enthusiast who enjoys a wide range of music genres. Mostly listening to SACD, Blu-ray audio, DVD formats on either 7.1 Paradigm/Denon/Sony UBP-X800M2 home entertainment setup or stereo Monitor Audio/Cambridge Audio/ Oppo BDP-105D setup. Also stream Amazon Music UltraHD through MacBook Air to the CXA81 or through iPhone to Fiio DAC to Sennheiser HD600.
As bit of a late starter to Hi Res (first SACD purchased in 2014) I just caught the end of the peak (non-classical) SACD period, and having a limited budget often rely on purchases of used discs. Like many members I love that we still get many great new releases and reissues but frustrated that they may be included in unaffordable box sets.

Not quite sure what took me so long to join, but I've been an audiophile for decades and a surround enthusiast since SACD came out. I mostly listen to discs or movies streamed from a DLNA server, though I've also made a few live big band recordings of my own using a Zoom H3-VR recorder. Fortunately I have three Oppos to be going on with -- a DV-970, a BDP-103, and a BDP-105D. I also have a Parasound P7 (all-analog multichannel preamp) that I really like. I'm frustrated, though, about the recent trend toward releasing surround content only via streaming services -- I know I'm not alone there -- especially though streamers connected to my 105D's HDMI input deliver only stereo results more often than not (sigh).

Hi everybody,
I have responded to some threads before and now want to introduce myself.
My name is Horst and I' m coming from Bonn, Germany. I got attention of this forum through the YT-Channel of "Live in Surround" so many thanks to him!
I belong to the so called boomer generation and grew up with 33's/LP's nowadays called vinyl and stuck to it till the 1990's (I had had the opportunity to listen to the first CD players when they came out around 1981/82 but I was not so impressed apart from the dynamics). Unfortunately at these times (mid to late 1970's) I never got into quadrophonic or other multichannel music since I didn't know anyone who listened to this kind of Format. HiFi at those times were stereo and no HiFi Dealer I knew has had quadrophonic equipment on sale nor was there a chance of listening to it. Most people then calling their equipment quadrophonic simple connected a 2nd pair of speakers to their stereo amplifier because they didn't know the difference. Back then I already knew about this format and what to need but because of lack of opportunities I concentrated more on stereo. Then life had changed (marriage, kids, etc.) and HiFi became more and more irrelevant to me so I sold my HiFi equipment and all of my LP's along with it as so many of my age did. A couple of years ago I then started with home cinema on a beginners level for the living room. After a while, when the kids had moved out of the house I wanted to install a bigger home cinema in the basement of our house.
At this time I got interested in music again and when I read about multichannel releases of popular bands in 5.1 I got triggered. After listening to my first multichannel medium I bought (after aquiring a Pioneer UBP LX-500 Multiplayer!) that was Pink Floyd's Wish you were here on SACD, I had tears in my eyes! Since then I am a Fan of multichannel music! Although I also bought a new turn table this one's mainly for older Jazz records in mono or stereo of course. Modern music I prefer to listen to in multichannel if available or SACD but also CD since my storage space for records is very limited due to again changes in life and the move into a smaller appartement.
At the moment I am not fully equipped for a dolby atmos surround set up there is one pair of speakers (either front or surround, depending what I could get on the 2nd. hand market at a reasonable price) missing.
So that's from my side and I must say this is a great forum!

Horst

Hi everybody,
My name is Horst and I' m coming from Bonn, Germany. I got attention of this forum through the YT-Channel of "Live in Surround" so many thanks to him!
I belong to the so called boomer generation and grew up with 33's/LP's nowadays called vinyl and stuck to it till the 1990's (I had had the opportunity to listen to the first CD players when they came out around 1981/82 but I was not so impressed apart from the dynamics). Unfortunately at these times (mid to late 1970's) I never got into quadrophonic or other multichannel music since I didn't know anyone who listened to this kind of Format. HiFi at those times were stereo and no HiFi Dealer I knew has had quadrophonic equipment on sale nor was there a chance of listening to it. Most people then calling their equipment quadrophonic simple connected a 2nd pair of speakers to their stereo amplifier because they didn't know the difference. Back then I already knew about this format and what to need but because of lack of opportunities I concentrated more on stereo. Then life had changed (marriage, kids, etc.) and HiFi became more and more irrelevant to me so I sold my HiFi equipment and all of my LP's along with it as so many of my age did. A couple of years ago I then started with home cinema on a beginners level for the living room. After a while, when the kids had moved out of the house I wanted to install a bigger home cinema in the basement of our house.
At this time I got interested in music again and when I read about multichannel releases of popular bands in 5.1 I got triggered. After listening to my first multichannel medium I bought (after aquiring a Pioneer UBP LX-500 Multiplayer!) that was Pink Floyd's Wish you were here on SACD, I had tears in my eyes! Since then I am a Fan of multichannel music! Although I also bought a new turn table this one's mainly for older Jazz records in mono or stereo of course. Modern music I prefer to listen to in multichannel if available or SACD but also CD since my storage space for records is very limited due to again changes in life and the move into a smaller appartement.
At the moment I am not fully equipped for a dolby atmos surround set up there is one pair of speakers (either front or surround, depending what I could get on the 2nd. hand market at a reasonable price) missing.

Horst
Welcome aboard Horbus - sounds like you will fit in quite nicely here. Sounds a lil like Snood the first time I heard a 5.1 release and purely by accident lol. Feel free to ask any and all question you might have no matter how noobish you think they might be. That what Snood did and still do. Some koo peeps here and please post all ya want toooooooooooo. :LB

Hi everybody,

Horst
Welcome aboard! I did the same thing - built a surround home theater system for movies (I thought) a few years back, but then discovered surround sound music and have been obsessed ever since!
Lots of knowledge in this group - you will enjoy it!

Hi everybody,

Horst
I was stationed in Pruem in 1968 and 69, so I’m fairly familiar with your part of Germany. Welcome to QQ, and watch your wallet, Fear Of Missing Out is rampant here, and highly contagious.

Hi! My name is Sofija. I am from Belgrade. Young and not much experienced in this field, but here to learn.

Cheers to all and thanks for accepting me!
Welcome aboard! I’m sure you will get plenty of opinions on how to spend your money.

Too bad about your dad’s speakers, but there are a lot more to choose from today.

Welcome aboard! I’m sure you will get plenty of opinions on how to spend your money.

Too bad about your dad’s speakers, but there are a lot more to choose from today.
Thanks! So many friendly greetings, I do appreciate that!
As to speakers, we have Jamo E 700 speaker system he bought new after them being awarded by EISA as best in Home Theater Loudspeaker category. ARs were never a part of surround system: they were sitting idle at my grandparents' flat. As his ampliifier went out of order, mother asked him to get rid of the rest of gear. He kept his most prized posesion, though, Thorens TD 126 electronic, along with 300+ collection of LPs alone.
Speaking of LPs, are those on your avatar yours, barfle?

Last edited:
Thanks! So many friendly greetings, I do appreciate that!
As to speakers, we have Jamo E 700 speaker system he bought new after them being awarded by EISA as best in Home Theater Loudspeaker category. ARs were never a part of surround system: they were sitting idle at my grandparents' flat. As his ampliifier went out of order, mother asked him to get rid of the rest of gear. He kept his most prized posesion, though, Thorens TD 126 electronic, along with 300+ collection of LPs alone.
Speaking of LPs, are those on your avatar yours, barfle?
Yes, that is a picture of my record collection I took about ten years ago. I’ve lost count, but there are around 1300 LPs on those shelves. Since then, I have moved across the US and built a new theater in my new home. If you click on my signature (Barfle’s bonus room bijou) below, there’s a lot of details on how I built it and what’s in the room.

Back