Went into a Best Buy...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
...and cried. Not for a good reason.
Oh where's my discs? Why are all the speakers in the demo booths wired incorrectly? Why are all the TVs playing the equivalent of 720p content? Why are you playing music compressed to -8 LUFS to demo $5000 speakers?
With the way everything was set up no wonder the average consumer can't differentiate the cheapest and most expensive item in the room.

Oh where's my discs? Why are all the speakers in the demo booths wired incorrectly? Why are all the TVs playing the equivalent of 720p content? Why are you playing music compressed to -8 LUFS to demo $5000 speakers?
With the way everything was set up no wonder the average consumer can't differentiate the cheapest and most expensive item in the room.
Do some select Best Buy stores still have a Magnolia department? If so, it would interesting to know if the demo experience is better within that area.

WELL, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR SPENDING AN AFTERNOON AT BEST BUY, MISTER!

WELL, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR SPENDING AN AFTERNOON AT BEST BUY, MISTER!
WAS YOUR NEXT STOP

See the source image

fine dining for the discriminating gourmand!

Last edited:
I went to Best Buy in Nashville a few months ago and movies on disc were hidden all the way on the back wall. I asked why and they said they sold 3-4 movies on disc a week. So goes the world...
The bulk of their movie/music sales are via the internet. They continue to sell exclusive Steelbook editions of UHD4K films which are coveted by collectors of such editions.

When placing an order, one has the option to have it delivered either by mail or they will make it available via store pick up. They do offer free s/h on orders $35 and above. Prices are competitive with other retailers and their special sales are usually excellent. I've never had an issue with their online delivery service. They even text me via Iphone when order is out for delivery and again when delivery is made.

Haven't been in a BEST BUY store in years [and years].

Last edited:
I used to visit Best Buy [the one(s) on 40 highway] often, when DVDs first appeared, I visited 1 or 2 times/week and bought quite a few DVDs, I bought 14 speakers, 2 surround sound receivers and a UHD Blu-ray player there too.

Now I visit about once/month, usually to buy [UHD]Blu-rays.

I wonder if Best Buy has much of a future:
Home Depot and Lowe's are major appliance dealers
Phone Stores&Walmart&Target sell phones
Walmart&Target sell mobile&portable electronics
Walmart&Target sell TVs
Walmart sells computers
Home audio sales aren't doing well
Amazon sells movies and music
Game Stop sells games

Seems like they have competitors that undersell them in all of their product categories.

Kirk Bayne

They have shifted their attention to high-end kitchen appliances 😒

We have a Best Buy in the area, although it’s probably been six months since I went in and picked up a handful of cheap blu-rays. There’s also a couple of “audio” shops here, but their signs have “automotive” displayed prominently.

The priority seems to be more and more on things that actually aren't that important. Soon, sound receivers will only play spotify, but WILL be able to take selfies. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating. Or maybe not. I recently wanted to buy a new convection oven and I couldn't find one that had the three main things I wanted, but the one thing they all had in common was 'It connects to your wi-fi'. I'm perfectly capable of leaving things on the stove too long and almost burning down the house while I'm home - I don't need to also do it from a remote location. But alas, I'm old and cranky and I could go on about this for hours. And I would, except those damn kids are on my front lawn again.

Back