We're having a resurgence of obsolete formats!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've currently waiting for a mini TV transmitter so I can use my old Axion 1.8 tft handheld TV. I want to use it an audio scope display listening to my laptops mic when I play records, I dont like vlc's built in visualizers I want foobar's logarithmic display(in mono) but I dont know how to monitor mic using foobar, can it be done?
20200604_171449.jpg

Talking about laserdiscs....I liked them and collected them over tape formats, but was never really happy with them until I picked up some cheap Sony XBR hi def crt widescreens (30" and 34"). When I put the signal from a pioneer cld 99 through these sets, I began to enjoy the old tech. All analogue formats go through the xbr's. I have a bunch of laserdisc players, but the one I watch the most is......Pioneer's early pro model pr 8210. I collected a couple 8210's and the picture with this player is better than the cld 99. The pr 8210 has a special composite out that is described in the owners manual for connection to a profesional crt monitor with the proper input. I have a sneaking suspicion the picture is so good because laserdiscs are recorded as composite signal and the pr 8210 processes the composite info without going through any manipulation of the signal (composite from the disc straight through to the composite input on the tv). I never spent much for any of my laserdisc players but I almost dropped $2000 on an Elite cld 92 in the early 90's. I bought one from laserland but they could not deliever as it had become unavailable. I prefer laserdisc's over dvd's. When you can get "men in black" or "terminator 2" for $1.00, why not. Jon, I'll take your "song of the south" laserdisc (if you collected it) or any of those box sets when you decide to downsize. I guess I just love old formats. I have a collection of svhs decks and tapes including some rare pre recorded svhs movies. The svhs signal into the xbr is very good and eminently watchable. Also, I can record bluray to svhs in order to take out objectionable material.

Actually, I DO have a Song of the South LD!! I forget what variation. I know that one's worth something, but I am not sure about the rest of them. I do have a lot of music LD's (Concerts, videos) that I may try and rip before

Reactions: TVB
I had a feeling you had song of the south. When i read about your stuff, it's like deja vu (like your akai r to r thread- i have a bunch of akai quad decks). By the way, the advice your getting on your akai is spot on (electrical contacts are dirty)

Actually, I DO have a Song of the South LD!! I forget what variation. I know that one's worth something, but I am not sure about the rest of them. I do have a lot of music LD's (Concerts, videos) that I may try and rip before

Yeah, there were some great concert LDs out of Japan that never got reissued as far as I know. MIke Oldfield at Knebworth, Grace Jones, Japan (the band), probably something else I'm forgetting.

OMD's Live at Drury Lane came out on a DVD that was included a few years back with a CD reissue of Architecture and Morality.

There are a lot of young people for whom these old formats are just a gimmick. I read only today that 21% of vinyl purchasers in the UK don't possess a record player. The recent resurgence in cassettes must be driven even more by people buying just for novelty and not to play.

Aha became famous because of the video to Take On Me. It is one of the most iconic videos of the 80s, in the UK at least. And videos in general are an icon of the 80s. So a VHS does seem like a valid piece of memorabilia. (And PAL because they are European.)

I must admit I have quite a few picture discs I've never played. And don't forget that in a world of downlands and streaming, a lot of people think it's strange that we (QQers) still like to buy such old fashioned things as DVDs and BDs :D

WOW, but then see - they are BUYING the records now (to ensure they have them) for when they can BUY a turntable to rotate them on..
Or, maybe they want to be able to find someone else, to then play groupies with, having a play-day session - winding those vintage memorabilia out of the old recordings..
It's a bit like, the old song - ?
I've got a brand new combine harvester .. and you've got the keys.. (or something to that effect?

I just read the ad for the A-Ha video. Does the PAL system still even exist today? I would have thought it was outmoded in a dirgital TV age. No NTSC version so I have to be out on this one. Besides it is only one song, too much work to drag out a machine and hook it up and then put it away. No mention of DD or DTS soundtrack either.:(

Hi - do you mean this video

I just read the ad for the A-Ha video. Does the PAL system still even exist today? I would have thought it was outmoded in a dirgital TV age. No NTSC version so I have to be out on this one. Besides it is only one song, too much work to drag out a machine and hook it up and then put it away. No mention of DD or DTS soundtrack either.:(
I just WATCHED that advert video - wow powerful & moving - well, the commentary at least
(I still - from that advert - don't know much about the electric version of the van)

I loved that movie as a child...haven't seen it in decades...its sad they removed it...people removing stuff in todays world saddens me...I also like the movie gone with the wind...grabbed my sis box set on dvd.

I loved that movie as a child...haven't seen it in decades...its sad they removed it...people removing stuff in todays world saddens me...I also like the movie gone with the wind...grabbed my sis box set on dvd.
Ever seen the movie BATTLETRUCK (filmed in 1978 in New Zealand - the village was inside our families old orchard - which was mastered over the next couple of years - and released in 80 - 82 ish - before being withdrawn - remastered again & re-released as a box office flop - as Warlords of the 21st Century) ?
Here's the original - that was "withdrawn" from everywhere except Holland?

I reckon you'll LOVE this one too ..

...Next quote...
Oh & AKAI - my favourite tape recorder until I got others.. (especially a 50-50 dual hi-speed dubber)
I had a feeling you had song of the south. When i read about your stuff, it's like deja vu (like your akai r to r thread- i have a bunch of akai quad decks). By the way, the advice your getting on your akai is spot on (electrical contacts are dirty)

I loved mine so much - I wanted to alter it somewhat - so pulled the circuits apart - and installed a couple of slide switches .. ONE to stop the eraser head if I wanted a backing track - for laying a new recording over (always worked well that bit did) - I also had another "slide switch" - that stopped ONE recording head from recording, whilst leaving the other free to record.

Initially - I liked it - until I realised - hang on - lets put a "shirting' switch on the output of the heasd unit - so that I can slide that across too - to co-join either one channel to both sides of the stereo speakers in the car - or slide it the other way - and select the other amp/speaker output, as a dual mono the other way - bingo - full mono "stereo" in the car again - oh for sure - mono but at least it wasn't lopsided depending on which "channel" of the tape I was listening too.
Wonderful plan - as that way _ I was able to "splice" to different musical recordings onto the one 2 tracked (stereo) track
To play BOTH on the same tape (as a dual playing mode) by looping this (i had a player in the car that auto reversed, so to EXTEND the driving range - before I had to stop and remove the tape, to select & insert another (bit of a buggah where I'd mounted it see) - all I did was have MONO in one side of the stereo for both sides of the compact disc - then when it replayed the first side - I just ripped the balance across to the other channel - and bingo - a new two sided mono set of recordings played.. twice the driving distance - for the loss of stereo only..
My house akai deck - being the remastering studio device.

What I find most amusing is Deep Discount's latest DEAL GRABBERS toting MORE 480p DVD releases than either blu ray and/or UHD4K

A blu ray player can be purchased for under $100 and NOT only UPSAMPLE DVD but play BD~V discs as well. Amazed that in 2020 people will not part with their DVD players and in some instances, the DVD costs MORE than the BD~V discs. Imagine THAT?

Last edited:
What if you have a changer you like?

What if your car player can't be upgraded?

What if you have a changer you like?

What if your car player can't be upgraded?
Then you either learn to maintain it properly or find a good service tech you trust for your needs. I speak generically of course. I know you probably do your own repairs when possible. I assume you mean a record changer, to which |I have a couple favourites as well. I finally have a Dual 1009 and the heath version of the Glaser Steers GS77 with speedminder and VRII cartridge. Love them both and maintain them at home myself. I love my GS77 with mono LPs and 78s. I know, sacrilege on a multichannel forum.:devilish:

Back