We're having a resurgence of obsolete formats!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been working on a 5.1 analog surround tonearm. 5 tonearms integrated into one has been easy to orchestrate. I've wasted a lot of tonearms trying to get .1 sawed off one of them.

Drs. Hugo T. and Loof Lirpa have offered their technical expertise.

I'll keep trying, 'cause it's a million $$$ idea!
With a bow to Laserdisc maybe there's a way to play both sides at once?

But seriously folks, has anyone compared the MoFi Captain SACD to the 2ch version on the DVD-A?

I opted out of buyng the SACD because I own the DVD-A. I've bought that one on Q8, CD-4, Nautilus 1/2 speed LP, CD & DVD-A. A phenominal album!

Back in the day, we demo'ed our Q8 car players w/either Captain or Best of the Doors.

But seriously folks, has anyone compared the MoFi Captain SACD to the 2ch version on the DVD-A?

I opted out of buyng the SACD because I own the DVD-A. I've bought that one on Q8, CD-4, Nautilus 1/2 speed LP, CD & DVD-A. A phenominal album!

Back in the day, we demo'ed our Q8 car players w/either Captain or Best of the Doors.
Soft Parade. Leave the cart on the dash so people know your a freak. In a good way....
Edit: my apologies. I guess SP was not released in Q8? Still a good one anyway. Enjoying right now in orig CD release through the SM.

Last edited:
In 1970, RCA was working on a 2-groove system for discrete 4 channel. But the two grooves were next to each other, not in separate bands. The problem was that it was possible to set the arm down with one stylus in each groove of adjacent rotations.

This was also a problem with the Cook system. It worked correctly only if you set the arm down at the beginning of the record. If you cued it somewhere in the middle, you often got two grooves on different rotations.

Looks like an early Russian bootleg.

If you'd put a gun to my head last week and demanded to know how many of those Soviet reels I had I'd have sworn only one. Turns out that I actually have two. Just for fun, I digitized both this morning and uploaded them to archive.org. So, for anyone who misses Cold War Communist propaganda, here you go:

Radio Moscow: Soviet American Relations 1977 : Radio Moscow : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Radio Moscow: Science and Engineering in the USSR : Radio Moscow : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Video is all lossy because of the gargantuan data size. Uncompressed raw video is 1GB/min for 1080p 30fps and I think around 35GB/min for 4k. Most people wouldn't even be able to play such program on their computers. Stock media player apps won't touch that even if your system is up to spec. Hardware players have no chance. There are levels of compression that are considered virtually lossless with our perception. Not to dismiss that but they are still technically lossy. Frame rate doesn't follow compression levels either. The formats get complex pretty quickly!

There are the Techmoan videos. Anyone know of other Youtube rabbit holes?

I was responding to "any moving picture" from the perspective of cine film. But whether you are considering film or video understanding the technology is the simple bit. The difficult bit is understanding the artificial constructs created by the visual cortex that we think of as 'real images'.

I might have blinked and missed it but I don't think anyone mentioned the first consumer digital audio recording format- the Sony F1 processor (and family). The audio is digitized and recorded as a video signal, then decoded for playback. I still have one that worked the last time I tried it, and a few shelves of VHS tapes on which I archived various radio concerts, gigs or whatever. The beauty of the processor is no moving parts, so any working VCR with composite in/out connections can work with it. Probably should dub those tapes onto an SD card or something one of these years.

Toshiba made a VHS deck that had this functionality built-in, the DX-900. I have one, but last time I tried it the 'PCM' button refused to stay 'pushed', thus unable to function as a digital audio recorder anymore. May still play hi-fi VHS, pretty much stopped caring a few years back. Here's a photo I found online-

ToshibaDX-9004-1.jpg

Here's a link to a Mix magazine article memorializing the F1 era-

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/1981-sony-pcm-f1-digital-recording-processor-377975

Last edited:
I might have blinked and missed it but I don't think anyone mentioned the first consumer digital audio recording format- the Sony F1 processor (and family). The audio is digitized and recorded as a video signal, then decoded for playback. I still have one that worked the last time I tried it, and a few shelves of VHS tapes on which I archived various radio concerts, gigs or whatever. The beauty of the processor is no moving parts, so any working VCR with composite in/out connections can work with it. Probably should dub those tapes onto an SD card or something one of these years.

Toshiba made a VHS deck that had this functionality built-in, the DX-900. I have one, but last time I tried it the 'PCM' button refused to stay 'pushed', thus unable to function as a digital audio recorder anymore. May still play hi-fi VHS, pretty much stopped caring a few years back. Here's a photo I found online-

View attachment 51556

Here's a link to a Mix magazine article memorializing the F1 era-

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/1981-sony-pcm-f1-digital-recording-processor-377975
can you tell me if there are any videos of the video data stream displayed on a tv set? i very briefly [blink and miss it] saw a teeny bit of that displayed on a 1980s news program once, looked like dancing bars of various widths interspersed with dancing dots.

Last edited:
Maybe cereal records could make a comeback?

68dbca623186018eee0646d730268e85--vintage-box-record-player.jpg

I actually remember getting records like this on the back of a cereal box, but I don't think I had the Monkees one. Strange promotion but they did work. As I recall they didn't sound very good but hey!, they were free. (Except you had to eat the shitty cereal) One of my far back memories of being a real little kid was getting my Mom to buy cereal not because I liked it, but because of what the prize inside was. The late '50s was a time of bizarre marketing. I can remember laundry detergent boxes with drinking glasses in them (real glass! Collect them all!), and even stores that would give you a dish with every visit (again, collect them all) These are VERY way-back memories. Damned if I can't remember last week, but I remember this shit. (I guess it won't be long for me to forget this website's url!)

Back