We're having a resurgence of obsolete formats!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought into this format only because of music titles that weren't available on LD, Beta or VHS at that point: Grateful Dead Movie, Let it Be, Gimme Shelter, Jimmy Cliff's the Harder they Come, Last Waltz and others.

That's how they got me as well. When CED added stereo, "Pink Floyd at Pompeii" was in the first batch of titles. I had no choice!

Laserdisc came first, was capable of being better, but was more expensive and had serious quality control issues. Others have mentioned the bad US-pressed discs, but the players themselves were also unreliable. The two best things to happen to LD were Pioneer's ultimate takeover and the switch to digital audio. Those analog FM tracks *could* be good...but usually weren't.

I remember getting the King Crimson live in Japan disc, which I think may have been the first digital release. I switched back and forth between the analog and digital tracks and there was simply no contest. The digital was perfect, the analog was noisy.

The fact that I was decades younger makes nostalgia for those days inevitable, but objectively speaking we sure accepted a lot of crap.

Whose vision.

An expert told me in the 1970s that my cat and my dog couldn't see the image on the TV screen. They saw the scan line moving.
My cat used to watch football games with me and would wait for a ball to be thrown or kicked, then would jump at the screen and try to swat the ball down with her paw. Seriously, not kidding. ;)

My cat used to watch football games with me and would wait for a ball to be thrown or kicked, then would jump at the screen and try to swat the ball down with her paw. Seriously, not kidding. ;)
jL3Kv10YN25Rm.gif

I believe you.
Many years ago we had a 32" CRT TV for family viewing sitting to the right of sliding glass doors going to the deck. We also had a Dachshund. Several times when we had a nature channel on, and an animal moved off screen to the left, our pup would go to left, look out the door or go out on the deck, to see where it went.
Me thinks they see more than a scanning dot.

I believe you.
Many years ago we had a 32" CRT TV for family viewing sitting to the right of sliding glass doors going to the deck. We also had a Dachshund. Several times when we had a nature channel on, and an animal moved off screen to the left, our pup would go to left, look out the door or go out on the deck, to see where it went.
Me thinks they see more than a scanning dot.
Yes, they do. Most mammalian vision is thought to broadly work the same way. And certainly all Primate vision is, to all intents and purposes, the same as ours. There was a documentary on TV this week showing lower monkeys learning how to open a sealed container of food from watching a video!

Last edited:
Yes, they do. Most mammalian vision is thought to broadly work the same. And certainly all Primate vision to all intents a purpose the same as ours. There was a documentary on TV this week showing lower monkeys learning how to open a sealed container of food from watching a video!
I failed :ROFLMAO:

Ha! as a 57 year old, I remember these records, but I loved the cereal, too. The records really played and were good! I also remember being excited to get yo-yo’s from cereal. All this fun stuff and Sea Monkeys, too! What could be better! Except the clackerS😜😜
I found my Sugar Bears cereal box record early last year stuffed in with a bunch of my old paperwork. Circa 1972, I believe.
The Sugar Bear Record 1972.jpg

If one were to invest in a $100 blu ray player, it would not only UPSAMPLE DVDs but play most other formats as well

$100?
Is that for a gold-plated model?

Full-featured Sony models from Sony have been about $50 for years now. I’m sure cheaper makes are also available.

I bought my Sony BDP-S5100 off ebay for $45.00 including remote with free shipping about a year ago. I bought it to rip SACD's with and it runs without issue. Tray and disc spinning are quieter than my newer Samsung, seems better quality over all.

That's a digital screen It holds the color give to the pixel until another color is given to that pixel. The cat CAN see that.

It was the original analog TV these animals could not see an image on. Those screens relied on persistence of vision to make the image.

Back