What are sitting in your Still To Listen To Surround Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So what are your still to listen to surround discs?

I was trying to figure out what I had and where I had put them! So what with travelling quite a bit for work, and tidying up, things get shifted around and missed, so I think I have found them all (quite a few still sealed), but I suspect there is another one hiding.

So my list is,

The Beatles – White Album (Box Set), BDA
Mats Bergstrom – Perceptions Of Time, SACD
Bird Song At Morning – Signs & Wonders, BDA
Blue Oyster Cult – Tyranny & Mutation, SQ LP
Blue Oyster Cult – Secret Treaties, SQ LP
Chicago – VI, SQ LP
Steve Hackett – Broken Skies, Outspread Wings (Box Set), DVD
Hollins & Starr – Sidewalks Talking, QS LP
IQ – Ever, DVD
Jethro Tull – This Was, DVD
Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses, DVD
King Crimson – Meltdown, Live In Mexico, BD
Harvey Mandel (& Guests) – Get Off In Chicago, QS LP
Marillion – Brave, BDA
Alanis Morissette – Under Rug Swept, DVDA
Pineapple Thief – Dissolution, BDA
R.E.M – Automatic For The People (Box Set), New mix, BDA
Robert Reed – Sanctuary III, DVD
Refused – The Shape Of Punk To Come, DVDA
Santana – Santana, SQ LP
Bruce Springsteen – The Seeger Sessions, DVD
Styx – The Mission, BDA
Steven Wilson – Home Invasion, BD

With many thanks to Derek (@fizzywiggs41) who unexpectedly sent me the QS & SQ LPs, so thanks very much Derek

and then there are the soon to arrive pre-orders to add to the pile of,

Be Bop Deluxe – Sunburst Finish, DVD
Marillion – Clutching At Straws, BDA
Anthony Philips – Field Day, DVD
Rush – Hemispheres (Box Set), BDA

OMG!!

Way too much stuff!

Bitches Brew - Miles (2 x 4.0 SACD - Japan) I bought the SQ when it was new. I also have a Japan 2ch SACDx2, Japan CD x 2 and US CD x2 in the 70 CD/1 DVD Complete Miles Studio Albums on Columbia.

Tale of Genji ultimate edition -Tomita (2x 5.0 SACD Japan)

Electric Ladyland (deluxe) - Hendrix Blu-Ray I did play the sessions CD in the car yesterday. I did play the 5.1 White Album, which also shipped yesterday.

Clancy Brothers Greatest (2 x SQ LP)

Copland Conducts Copland - Appalachian Spring (complete) SQ LP (w/7" 2Ch vinyl of Copland rehearsing the orchestra)
Columbia (CBS) MQ 32726

Chicago IX (greatest) Q8 I found this used, and have the BD-A box, RBCD and 1/2 speed LP.

Poco Seven & Cantamos (4.0 SACD) I have these on SQ LP's

Tale Spinnin' - Weather Report (4.0 SACD) I also have SQ LP, 2.0 AF SACD, and RBCD.

Mojo - Tom Petty BD-A I bought this the first day it was out on this format, AND IT'S STILL SEALED! I did buy the CD before this was out. Music is great!

Casablanca - Gerhardt/National Philharmonic CD-4

Full Sail - Loggins & Messina SQ LP SEALED w/Korvettes sticker. OK, in my defense, I already own another open SQ, Q8, SACD, Direct-Disc Labs dbx encoded, and MoFi Gold RBCD. It's one of my favorite albums, Quad or not. Likely this SQ LP will stay sealed until I get a new turntable & cartridge. Of course, it still sounds great through my Ortofon MC 20 cartridge I own now. I played the SACD a week ago. "You're pushing my leg!"

Sunflower - Beach Boys 2 ch SACD w/some tracks matrix encoded. I haven't decoded the SACD yet, but did so in the past with the RBCD. I have played the SACD in 2-ch non-decoded mode.

The Fantastic Philadelphians vol. 1 SEALED CD-4 Ormandy/Philadelphia. Charbrier, Saint-Saens, Mussorgsky & Dukas . RCA-ARD1-0002 I also have a Dolby Surround RBCD, which I have listened to. I'll leave this one sealed until I get a new turntable/cartridge.

I have dozens of Blu-Ray and DVD concerts where I haven't cracked the seal.

Last edited:
Are you people insane?? Think how much money you've spent on titles you'll "get around to some day" and probably won't have time to listen to more than once in your lifetime. Madness!

I myself can fit my entire surround music collection of shiny discs on a single shelf about 2 feet wide. But I listen to all of them repeatedly, and I never have more than one at a time in its wrapper.

But wait!! There's lots more. I already had over 200 Q8's without these, I got a case of them a while back from a GF. They were her late stepfathers'.

Best of Ramsey Lewis I have another copy

Fiddler on the Roof - Topol 2 Q8's (movie soundtrack) I bought the Zero Mostel Broadway Q8 back in the day.

Bachman Turner II

Big Band Moog I have an encoded cassette from Randy Tandy. I'll bet this Q8 sounds slightly more discrete. Matrix encoded cassettes and 8-tracks have me singing the Azimuth Blues.

Flowers of Evil - Mountain

Teledyne (Capitol SM) San Fernando Brass and Sounds of the 70's highlights on program 2, and sound effects on Program 1.
The music was also released on SQ LP's from Radio Shack, which I also own.

Rheinberger 2 Conciertos - E Power Biggs I also bought this a few months back on 4.0 SACD.

GRT Quad Sampler, Q 7101 I bought this one back in the day and returned it to Olson Electronics. It sounded like the fronts and rears were recorded by 2 seperate stereo 8 track machines. They weren't in synch. Only GRT!! Perhaps this one will be better.

Last edited:
Are you people insane?? Think how much money you've spent on titles you'll "get around to some day" and probably won't have time to listen to more than once in your lifetime. Madness!

I myself can fit my entire surround music collection of shiny discs on a single shelf about 2 feet wide. But I listen to all of them repeatedly, and I never have more than one at a time in its wrapper.

It's like this, Dave. I've been collecting surround music since '72, and Audiophile pressings since '78. I began collecting at 3 and my first record was a sea shanty on 78 rpm.

I've been collecting for almost 62 years. If I don't sleep or travel, I still wouldn't have time to listen to each album I own one more time before I die.

In previous houses, the collection had it's own room. Now it's 2 1/2 rooms. 20,000 + albums (CD, SACD, etc)

Then again, before Hendrix and the Beatles showed up yesterday, I listened to my new 2ch Parsley Sage SACD about a dozen times. This was an album I played often while doing my homework. Nostalgia,

"...put our product to the test, you'll feel just fine now. Buy a big bright green pleasure machine."

I have music/surround fever and don't want to be cured!

I don't think any of them are insane. There are a huge number of folks who love to collect these titles. Partly that and partly just too busy at this time in their life. I would rather purchase what I want now, while they are available and worry about listening to them when I'm retired and not so damn busy with work. Heck, some people put money in the bank....never to spend it until they retire. ;)

Being retired (still do 10hours a week to get me out of the house) I have plenty of time on my hands, so nothing sits around for very long, but I do have a pile waiting for a second or third listen.
What does stop me listening is, the neighbours, if they are in I try to keep the volume down, that coupled with me being a bit mutton (mutton jeff = deaf) means the music is not at it's best volume. I enjoy the music better if I can whack it up a bit to be able to hear every nuance.
Also I keep going back to stuff I've had for a while and digging it out for a listen, and in doing that I may spot something else that needs a listen, you get the picture.
The pile is quite high though:
Magenta - We Are Seven
Steven Wilson - Home Invasion
Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii
Ayreon - Universe & Actual Fantasy Revisited
Haken - L-1VE
The pineapple Thief - Dissolution
IQ - Ever
Dream Theater - S/T
Boston Symphony - Deutche Grammophons Holst - The Planets + Strauss - Also Sprach
The Beatles - LOVE
Styx - The Mission
Plus a few more I cannot mention, Wish me luck!

It would be the shits if the people with lots of unopened discs pass away before getting to hear them. Look on the bright side! Their spouses, friends or relatives will get to reap the money they cash-in on selling these items...LOL

Not sure if concert videos count. So, I won’t mention the few unopened items I have.

From the top of my head, I have only two items that I have yet to open and it’s happening today.

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Box Set)
The Beatles - The Beatles (Deluxe Box Set)

Sgt. Peppers was purchased when it was first released (I had it on pre-order) last year.

I was surprised the postal service delivered The White Album yesterday. With all the fires going on, I thought it wouldn’t be until next week on delivery. By the way, I’m okay. We had quite a scare, very early, Friday morning. The fire came really close and we were expecting to evacuate. Luckily, we survived but the air quality is very poor. I sure hope QQ member Green is okay.

It would be the shits if the people with lots of unopened discs pass away before getting to hear them. Look on the bright side! Their spouses, friends or relatives will get to reap the money they cash-in on selling these items...LOL

Not sure if concert videos count. So, I won’t mention the few unopened items I have.

From the top of my head, I have only two items that I have yet to open and it’s happening today.

The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Box Set)
The Beatles - The Beatles (Deluxe Box Set)

Sgt. Peppers was purchased when it was first released (I had it on pre-order) last year.

I was surprised the postal service delivered The White Album yesterday. With all the fires going on, I thought it wouldn’t be until next week on delivery. By the way, I’m okay. We had quite a scare, very early, Friday morning. The fire came really close and we were expecting to evacuate. Luckily, we survived but the air quality is very poor. I sure hope QQ member Green is okay.

I’m glad to hear you’re ok... hopefully the winds don’t pick up too much in the next 48 hours! My hospital in Woodland Hills is packed to capacity with pets displaced by the fire (we’re boarding them no charge until people can get back home)... let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Maybe! In my last job I had maybe one or two unlistened to and was in the office/lab for 3 days a week, 2 days at home listening to music whilst working. In this job for 2 years now, and I work mostly from home, but its so chaotic, unscheduled conference calls, hassled via skype, email etc. its rare to get through an album before the interruption, so the pile has built up. I'd rather not have a pile :( and in 4 or maybe 5.1 minds about the job!

Reading the above comments makes me appreciate even more the free time I have, now I'm fully retired. I was very lucky to be able to afford to call it a day at age 57, just over 6 years ago.

Well I say retired. I'm probably doing more now than I ever did. The beauty of it is, the total freedom that I enjoy.

And as for passing on this ever growing library of music ..my brother (20 yrs my junior) has got the bug and has promised to look after my passion when the time comes.

As, unfortunately, my son and daughter have not inherited my genes, for this love of all that fills my ears, with so much pleasure.

I myself can fit my entire surround music collection of shiny discs on a single shelf about 2 feet wide. But I listen to all of them repeatedly, and I never have more than one at a time in its wrapper.[/QUOTE]

Of course we are insane! I commend you MCDave on your discipline. A lot of stuff goes out-of-print, so better to buy now than pay through the nose later.

By the way, where's Kal on this topic? I'll bet he's got a lot more titles in his "yet to listen to" stash than most of us.

Wow, you guys are making me feel a little better about my short stack over here, hee!

Let's see:

Billy Joel, 52nd Street
Chase, Pure Music and Chase
Weather Report, Tale Spinnin'
Lee Jung-A, A Private Recital
Various Artists, Raizes
Dimitri Tiomkin, Lost Horizons
Charles Villiers Stanford, Concertos
Elgar, Short Orchestral Works
Side 2 of Fleetwood Mac

Hmm, that's still more than I realized. Stupid day job!!

Thanks for the reminder. Better get to it! :phones:coffee:

I generally listen to new music when I get it at least once, but lately it has piled up.

THIS WAS and ELL are awaiting a listen (later tonight). Marillion's BRAVE hasn't been opened, either. I have to think about acquisitions that are still shelved unopened . . . Tull's PASSION PLAY that never grabbed me back in the day . . . a few non-surround MoFi's (that's redundant, isn't it?) like two Moody Blues that I have the surround editions . . . Dylan's MORE BLOOD, MORE TRACKS waiting for the mood (it's a spring album to me for some reason, not a fall one). Hmm. Tull seems right for fall! THIS WAS -- Next! 8')

Don't get me started with other media, especially vinyl in the Supper Dupper boxes. I could count on one hand the vinyl I've played in these beasts. And have 4-5 fingers left. I'll usually start with the surround mix, if new, then go to previously unreleased tracks/mixes and maybe the PCM 2ch or mono.

This list could really get out of hand if we started listing all the "auxiliary" material and CD's that come with these sets. For example, I've only listened to Sara on The Alternate Tusk and only a couple of tracks from Seal's Acoustic Album which is on his greatest hits DVD-A.

Doors- Perception Box
Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Aqualung, Too Old, Heavy Horses, SFTW
Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
King Crimson - Beat, THRAK
XTC - Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea
George Harrison - Live in Japan
Barclay James Harvest- Octoberon, Gone To Earth, XII
Tom Petty - Hypnotic Eye

On the way: Electric Ladyland, This Was, four from DV

Yes, we are insane
Speaking for myself that is

This list could really get out of hand if we started listing all the "auxiliary" material and CD's that come with these sets. For example, I've only listened to Sara on The Alternate Tusk and only a couple of tracks from Seal's Acoustic Album which is on his greatest hits DVD-A.

As a rule I never listen to the CDs in these box sets...I think the only exception was on Aqualung...it's ironic because I seek out CDs to buy...mostly vintage one's that have a robust dynamic range...I guess I just assume that these CDs in the super sets will be compressed to death so I don't bother with them..

Back