What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more single layer early Sony multi's.

I believe this one to be rare .

Roger Waters - In The Flesh (2 discs)

20181007_083454.jpg

Always loved that album cover on the Boulez does Bartok .............

Shows us the "actual Quad layout " of the recording ! :) Don't know of any others that do that .

I finally snagged a Q8 copy of this (in a lot with several other classical columbia tapes)- maybe now we can find out once and for all if Sony messed with the mix on the SACD or not.

I finally snagged a Q8 copy of this (in a lot with several other classical columbia tapes)- maybe now we can find out once and for all if Sony messed with the mix on the SACD or not.

Considering the art of the front cover displaying the quad mix array , one has to scratch one's head as to the decision by Columbia to issue separate stereo and quad albums .
If ever there was a need to utilize "single inventory " quad titles , this album should have been it .
What a narrow minded move on their part .

And two more that have been reissued .

Blow By Blow ..... (3x now ?)........no surprise that , it is very good multi ch quad afterall.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out (original ) and Jeff Beck -Blow By Blow (first edition)

20181010_071247.jpg
20181010_071239.jpg

Took custody of these two today. Both found on discogs for around $40 each.

IMG_5856.jpg

Definitely not the best examples of surround music, but neither is really as awful as some might have you believe. I had heard the Oasis before (I had a DTS-CD made from it)- the actual disc did seem a bit clearer and there are some decent surround effects in "Champagne Supernova". "Wonderwall" is definitely a disappointment though. If I were rating it in the poll I'd prob go with a 5 or 6.

The Meatloaf I never heard- some tracks are pretty discrete, other seem either super conservative or upmixed. The title track is pretty amazing in surround. Vocals are rock solid in the center as is the Fillipetti style. I don't really have a problem with the re-recorded parts in "Dashboard" (not all that familiar with it tbh), they made the best of lost multis situation. I'm really rather pleasantly surprised actually...this one I'd prob give a 7.

Back