What are your 5 favorite biographies/auto-biographies (BOOKS ONLY PLEASE) related to the MUSIC INDUSTRY?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m halfway through this and loving it, but then I’ve been a Richard Thompson fan for decades. It covers 1967-1975, when Richard and his cohort were in the process of inventing folk-rock, ekeing out a musical living, and (mostly) surviving youthful folly. Some nightmare gigs in here that'll resonate for anyone who's ever played in public, and a range of musical encounters including Linda Ronstadt, Jimi Hendrix, and John Cage's apartment (he was out at the time). Give it a go.View attachment 65807

Getting lots of good reviews. Also a nice interview on NPR this morning:
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/11/9858...evisits-a-big-life-just-shy-of-the-mainstream

The following is not, strictly speaking, a biography or autobiography but it looks like this thread is not being strictly adherent to the strict definitions of those categories. Anyway, there's a serious amount of Jimmy Page's autobiography in this one. If you're a big fan of Page/Led Zeppelin then this one is not to be missed!:

jimmypage.jpg

This has likely already been mentioned; blame it on my failing memory if so, though it bears repeating:

Bill Bruford's autobiography is hilarious- in that wry English manner- and also very astute and enlightening. He comes off as very intelligent- not the 1st thing I think of when it comes to drummers...

He seems to have weathered the storms of stardom, success, inevitable decline, vast changes in the music business and staying true to himself and his muse amazingly well. He comes off very humble. Incredible story- to leave a band you founded just as it's becoming one of the biggest bands on earth- and to pay for that privilege!

Highly recommended even if you're not a Yes, King Crimson, Prog or Jazz fan. It's really the tale of what it's like to be a working musician. A great read!

"Clive: Inside the Record Business"

I bought this in paperback at the grocery store in the mid-1970s, I had previously purchased
"CBS: Reflections in a Bloodshot Eye".

The "Clive" book does mention Quadraphonics (part of his job is to review reports from CBS Labs).

Kirk Bayne

The double book by Julian Cope called Head-On and Repossessed is a really great read with some funny stories and history of him and the teardrop explodes.

I've got to tell you all about this fantastic book I read: ""Do Stand So Close" by Jeffrey Lee Campbell.

This is the story of a guy who moved from Chapel Hill to New York City to try to make a living as a guitarist. After less than a year he was hired by Sting for his "Nothing Like The Sun" tour in 1987-1988. Reading it is like jumping into his fairy tale adventure...

Like when he played "Little Wing" on Saturday Night Live with Hiram Bullock (the guitarist who played on Sting's recording of "Little Wing") in the front row, when a mere two weeks earlier he was selling concessions on Broadway.

Like when the tour goes to Chapel Hill and Sting introduces the band and saves Jeff for last, and follows it with, "And in case you don't know who I am, I'm Jeff's friend!"

Like when, years later, he's walking down the stairs in his NYC apartment and hears a bootleg recording of Sting singing "Tempted" (the Squeeze song) coming from his neighbor's apartment - and he's the guitarist on the recording!

Now, I'll admit I found this book particularly fascinating because it appears that the author and I are practically the same age and we were doing the same thing (studying guitar at the university) when the author took this detour into a rock and roll fantasy, but I think anyone who loves music and all the spectacle and drudgery that goes with it will enjoy the book as well.

Lastly, his unforgiving candidness about his own mistakes and naivety make the journey real.

Enough from me! Go get the book!!!

Paul

The following is not, strictly speaking, a biography or autobiography but it looks like this thread is not being strictly adherent to the strict definitions of those categories. Anyway, there's a serious amount of Jimmy Page's autobiography in this one. If you're a big fan of Page/Led Zeppelin then this one is not to be missed!:

View attachment 65931
Just ordered it because it’s will be a GREAT companion book for the just released EVENINGS WITH LED ZEPPELIN (the Revised & Expanded Edition) which has many cross references to this edition. I’ve also got the 1st edition….this new one is that much better!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Evenings with Led Zeppelin Revised & Expanded Edition Front.jpg

Evenings with Led Zeppelin Revised & Expanded Edition Back.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered it because it’s will be a GREAT companion book for the just released EVENINGS WITH LED ZEPPELIN (the Revised & Expanded Edition) which has many cross references to this edition. I’ve also got the 1st edition….this new one is that much better!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
View attachment 71720
View attachment 71721
Ordered…. it will be a fine companion book, while I listen to their live stuff.

Attachments

• A6EA5B21-E5E9-4B36-8942-9EB3767F5222.jpeg
    A6EA5B21-E5E9-4B36-8942-9EB3767F5222.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 51
I think nobody mentioned this one. After I read it, probably over 40 years ago, I never listened to the Doors in the same way again...NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE

Attachments

• 51DsVWtSrLL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51DsVWtSrLL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
Back