What are your FAVORITE MUSIC documentaries?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A documentary on Bob Moog - (think it was called 'Moog'. Watched several times just don't remember the title.)
Have one on Theremin whose title I don't remember either. Very good with info I never knew.
Eight Days A Week
Beatles Anthology
The Compleat Beatles
The Kids Are Alright
Amazing Journey
The Last Waltz
DSOTM - Eagle Rock/Classic albums
Who's Next - Eagle Rock/Classic albums - Somewhat disappointed by this one as, at the time, the only release from ER I'd seen was the Pink Floyd one which was quite well done. Who's Next has, for me anyway, too much live versions of the tunes from the album. When they cut away to those the key is different which just sounds bad to me. Also, I was expecting a bunch of bonus stuff like the DSOTM disc, but NOPE, none of that thank you very much. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have the disc and for the stuff I learned from it, but it misses the higher bar that ER set with DSOTM.
Graceland - ER/Classic Albums: Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Only disappointment for me was they left off 2 songs from that album
Heart of Gold - Neil Young - Good stuff, but the one thing that struck me is there is no 'joy' in the performances. It feels, for the most part, quite somber.
Love & Mercy - though not a doc in the true sense, it was fun to see this dramatization of Brian's life. A lot of it I already knew, but it was quite well done.
Once Were Brothers - it was a gift. Lightweight in nature. Okay if you don't have something you'd rather watch.
Old Friends - S&G: another gift. Like it the most for the inclusion of part of the TV documentary they did back in the late 60s that's included. Good performances all around.
Woodstock - Director's Cut
The T.A.M.I. Show: Great look at 8 months after the Beatles Ed Sullivan appearances. Liked it much more than I thought I would.
The Qatsi Trilogy: Not a doc either, but I like the combination of images and Philip Glass' music.

Would love to see Monterey Pop (don't have rich mans TV nor rich mans interwebs and the dvd set is still a bit too pricey. Someday...) Some of the other mentions made here I would be interested in seeing also. Sound City, Wrecking Crew, Giants of Motown.

A documentary on Bob Moog - (think it was called 'Moog'. Watched several times just don't remember the title.)
Have one on Theremin whose title I don't remember either. Very good with info I never knew.
Eight Days A Week
Beatles Anthology
The Compleat Beatles
The Kids Are Alright
Amazing Journey
The Last Waltz
DSOTM - Eagle Rock/Classic albums
Who's Next - Eagle Rock/Classic albums - Somewhat disappointed by this one as, at the time, the only release from ER I'd seen was the Pink Floyd one which was quite well done. Who's Next has, for me anyway, too much live versions of the tunes from the album. When they cut away to those the key is different which just sounds bad to me. Also, I was expecting a bunch of bonus stuff like the DSOTM disc, but NOPE, none of that thank you very much. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have the disc and for the stuff I learned from it, but it misses the higher bar that ER set with DSOTM.
Graceland - ER/Classic Albums: Enjoyed this one quite a bit. Only disappointment for me was they left off 2 songs from that album
Heart of Gold - Neil Young - Good stuff, but the one thing that struck me is there is no 'joy' in the performances. It feels, for the most part, quite somber.
Love & Mercy - though not a doc in the true sense, it was fun to see this dramatization of Brian's life. A lot of it I already knew, but it was quite well done.
Once Were Brothers - it was a gift. Lightweight in nature. Okay if you don't have something you'd rather watch.
Old Friends - S&G: another gift. Like it the most for the inclusion of part of the TV documentary they did back in the late 60s that's included. Good performances all around.
Woodstock - Director's Cut
The T.A.M.I. Show: Great look at 8 months after the Beatles Ed Sullivan appearances. Liked it much more than I thought I would.
The Qatsi Trilogy: Not a doc either, but I like the combination of images and Philip Glass' music.

Would love to see Monterey Pop (don't have rich mans TV nor rich mans interwebs and the dvd set is still a bit too pricey. Someday...) Some of the other mentions made here I would be interested in seeing also. Sound City, Wrecking Crew, Giants of Motown.
Monterey Pop is only $35 for the SDE on Amazon

Forgot to mention Rainbow Bridge. Only saw it once in the theaters during it's original release. Unfortunately don't remember much about it other than it wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be.
Who is Harry Nilsson was good too. I jumped on board his train early on.

Forgot to mention Rainbow Bridge. Only saw it once in the theaters during it's original release. Unfortunately don't remember much about it other than it wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be.
Who is Harry Nilsson was good too. I jumped on board his train early on.
Rainbow Bridge …. It is what it is…I’ve got the DVD, there’s some pretty FUNNY & ODD stuff in it but I got a good laugh out of it….I also have the Live in Maui BR that was released last year IIRC, not much of an improvement musically or video wise sorry to say

The best recent music doc I saw, released last February 2020 was Laurel Canyon: A Place in Time - two one & half hour episodes. It was aired originally as a TV series directed by Alison Ellwood ( she also did the History of The Eagles) - Brilliant!

The best recent music doc I saw, released last February 2020 was Laurel Canyon: A Place in Time - two one & half hour episodes. It was aired originally as a TV series directed by Alison Ellwood ( she also did the History of The Eagles) - Brilliant!
Great doc, IIFC was released in 2020

I enjoyed “Count Me In” on Netflix. A documentary about drums and drummers, with commentary from some of the best of today. Footage of musicians AND the actual music, (something you don’t hear a lot in docs). Steven Perkins is particularly impressive analyzing and reproducing Kieth Moon’s phenomenal drumming in The Who’s “Who Are You”.

I finally got around to watching Crossfire Hurricane and I think its a really strong documentary, refreshingly so. I guess I thought the Stones would be hard to make interesting after all these years and all the stories told. I was wrong, this doc allows some very relaxed and candid audio commentary from the Stones set to images from the moments being discussed. The music is front and centre too, with whole tracks being foregrounded. Another great Eagle Rock production.

This must be the year for KISS ROCK DOCS…this is so far the ULTIMATE in KISS DOCS….released just 2 weeks ago…I hope you enjoy as much as I did❤️

Back