What are your FAVORITE MUSIC documentaries?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Harrison - Living in a Material World - :)

When I was young I didn't care for George much and when I watched this doc a few years ago it totally changed my mind and opinion of him. I really got to know and appreciate him thru this doc so I'm glad it was made because I would have never known otherwise.

Not sure if this is really considered a "documentary" but it's an awesome portrayal of Brian Wilson.

It's what actually educated me to knowing about "The Wrecking Crew" and what influence they had on many great albums, not just the Beach Boys.

1593751832055.png

Not sure if this is really considered a "documentary" but it's an awesome portrayal of Brian Wilson.

It's what actually educated me to knowing about "The Wrecking Crew" and what influence they had on many great albums, not just the Beach Boys.

View attachment 53455
Absolutley great movie. I haved watched it many times. Good to see someone else here enjoys it!

docs:
Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me - great, especially if you're already a fan
XTC: This Is Pop - again, if you're a fan, you'll eat this up
John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky - maybe for Lennon fanatics only, but I bet there are a lot of those 'round here
Pavement: The Slow Century - befittingly sloppy doc, plus all their music videos and lots of concert footage, 6 hours total on DVD

performance films:
Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii - takes me right back to midnight movie showings in high school
King Crimson: The Noise, Live In Frejus 1982 - 80s-era band at their peak
Home Of The Brave - Laurie Anderson's quirky but endearing performance art, with great music
Two Against Nature: Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party In Sensuous Surround Sound - who else would be audacious enough to title a concert DVD that way?

non-doc musicals:
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - amazingly well-written and performed parodies of many musical genres
Hedwig & The Angry Inch - the original music is primo 70s-style glam rock, highly recommended for the open-minded
The Point - great Nilsson songs in a kinda-trippy animated children's story
Yellow Submarine - sentimental favorite, and you can't beat those tunes (in surround!)

collections:
Talking Heads: Chronology - great live performances from across their career, with some documentary stuff interspersed
R.E.M. Succumbs - early music videos, since supplanted by larger collections, but this is gold
Kate Bush: The Single File - there's nobody like her
The Old Grey Whistle Test - amazing variety of vintage live studio performances from the British TV show on DVD

Last edited:
Aerosmith.....one of my favorite bands of all time.....especially Wings, Toys & Rocks!!! Wish they would release Super Deluxe Box sets of each with Multi-Channel mixes included!!

One of my favorite bands my daughter got me some good seats about 5 years ago.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535995575891 aero_Fotor.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535995575891 aero_Fotor.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 185
Pink Floyd: Live At Pompeii - takes me right back to midnight movie showings in high school

The Old Grey Whistle Test - amazing variety of vintage live studio performances from the British TV show on DVD

How could I forget these. I miss the Whistle Test so much. Both generations are etched in early years. The DVDs are excellent.

From the top of my head, and I really appreciate a good sounding and descrete 5.1-mix to my documentaries.

1. The history of the Eagles
A really good one with an excellent 5.1 track. Make sure you get the Blu-ray with the bonus concert disc from 1977 - insanely good sounding given that it is from 1977. Also, I do not agree with those that think Don Henley and especially Glenn Frey come through as assholes.

2. The Beatles Anthology
First time I heard the fab four in true, descrete and tasteful 5.1.

3. Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage
Did not know a lot about this band and learned a lot, and also was inspired to get some of their records in 5.1. Moving Pictures is a disappointment (mixwise that is) but A Farewell To Kings (Steven Wilson mix) is top notch.

Wow never got around to seeing this til tonight.....but this is pretty KEWL

When talking about the Perfect Strangers LP and Tour he says "at that time the 3 biggest grossing bands were us, Gratefiul Dead and Springsteen......I never got what Bruce was all about" LMAO:ROFLMAO::SB

Back