What are your top 3 "go-to" surround music demo tracks?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - "The Gates of Delirium" (but "Close To The Edge", if the former's too much for a non-YES fan)
ELP - "Karn Evil 9" (but only from the 2000 DVD-A of "Brain Salad Surgery")
Howard Shore - anything from the surround mixes of "The Lord Of The Rings - Complete Recordings"

I've chosen them because the main point of surround mixes (to me) is to separate out stuff which is too musically dense for just stereo, and in the process, reveal things which were not clearly audible (if at all) before. But if it was a Floyd lover, I'd do "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" albums for them.

Chicago : Saturday in the Park

Another I forgot about. I'm blown away by how good Chicago V sounds... wayyy better than the other DVD-A release Chicago II. That song isn't even the best sounding on the disc :)

In fact I'm getting some rattling speakers/housings in my car checked out this weekend and leaving that very disc with the shop as a test to see if it's been fixed. I have a rare car that can play true DVD Audio 5.1 MLP & that release sounds just sublime with incredibly potent bass. It's also a joy to hear the late, great Terry Kath in surround...

1) Tears for Fears - Woman in Chains (or Year of the Knife; really anything from the Seeds of Love)
2) King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King (from the 2019 mix)
3) Steven Wilson - Personal Shopper, Man of the People

What a surprise, all SW mixes... I would say these are my favourites from say, the last year. There really are so many great "reference" surround tracks, I really feel quite spoiled...

PT's Heartattack in a Layby and Lips of Ashes were some of my favourites for many years. I believe In Absentia was the first surround album I ever heard - I remember as a teen saving up and buying a set of 5.1 computer speakers and a sound card (lol I know) to listen to it.

Back