What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I watched...

Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Roxy The Movie

1612745303598.jpeg 1612745329632.jpeg

I’m the slime....

I was playing Bob Dylan with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Hard To Handle" last week from LaserDisc. This is a 1986 concert from Aust. Filmed for an hour long HBO special, it got a home video release on VHS and LD only. Went OOP and never was reissued. Bootleg DVDs have come and gone over the years.

Watching Kenny Wayne Shepherd's new release CD & Blu Ray live concert, Straight To You Live. Live in Germany November 2019.
This concert is from his The Traveler tour. Very odd to release the Traveler in Dolby Atmos and then his next release, this one, the concert in stereo, not even a 5.1 option, video colors and camera are good.
912aODsmy+L._SX385_.jpg

Watching Kenny Wayne Shepherd's new release CD & Blu Ray live concert, Straight To You Live. Live in Germany November 2019.
This concert is from his The Traveler tour. Very odd to release the Traveler in Dolby Atmos and then his next release, this one, the concert in stereo, not even a 5.1 option, video colors and camera are good.
View attachment 63892

And IMO, his version of VooDoo Child [Slight Return} IS NOT TO BE MISSED. Even though it's 2.0 it does decode well through one's DSP system and the sound ia pretty amazing as well....if you crank that puppy UP!

Last edited:
The concert I watch the most is one I recorded from PBS- Jackson Browne soundstage (about 2009}. The sound quality is just amazing. The back up singers and the lead guitarist steal the show. Comparing this concert with those I have on laserdisc and VHS HI FI tape, Jackson Browne blows them all away.

Last edited:
22A28B7B-1998-4E5A-8482-2C8552E81F97.jpeg

The DD5.1 DVD that comes with this set.
It is recorded live, but in a studio, not in concert. The menu is clunky, can’t see a way to separate the spoken word intro to each song from the actual performance, but I’m nitpicking.
The sound is fine and the performances excellent.

View attachment 63937
The DD5.1 DVD that comes with this set.
It is recorded live, but in a studio, not in concert. The menu is clunky, can’t see a way to separate the spoken word intro to each song from the actual performance, but I’m nitpicking.
The sound is fine and the performances excellent.
Wow, I used to have that title. Ended up selling it. Hmmm. Wonder who bought it. I often wonder, when I sell things on ebay, if the buyer is a QQ member.

@Clement and @4-earredwonder

Regarding the new Alice Cooper Detroit Stories DVD Concert-Paris.

I went back to this 4.1 DVD concert and took a more better approach to listening.
I have five DSP choices from my MX122, three of them are versions of faux surround.
Of my two non faux surround choices I first listened to
DTS Surround. This is true 4.1 surround from the disc. Front sound prominent. Rears (meters are working and put my ear to speakers) very low volume and only ambient from what I could tell as the volume is low.
My other non faux choice is
Multi Channel. This came out louder, more balanced and in 5.1, center speaker is active.

Super great concert, video is exceptional, and if sound is a must then, using your DSP settings can bring a great surround experience, albeit no selection will be discrete.
Hope this helps.

Schiller,from the new deluxe set.Very nice discrete mix with a lot happening in the rears.Some of the music remains me of TD. :cool:

Back