What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1641265807008.jpeg

Roger Waters - The Wall in Dolby Atmos

Just watched all of this for the first time, on Blu Ray... I have to say it was mighty enjoyable and better than I expected.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.45.57 PM.png

I mean, sure the roster is pretty great, especially for the time, but you just never know so my expectations were tempered. But for instance, I've always been kinda lukewarm on Jefferson Airplane in general (although I had aunts and uncles that were there at the beginning and they freaking LOVED them, which I never really got although I like Surrealistic Pillow well enough)—but watching this along with the music certainly made me understand a little more where they were coming from... though I still don't get the appeal of Country Joe and The Fish.

The performance from Janis & Big Brother is absolutely stellar, the Mamas & The Papas come off really well... and then of course Otis takes the stage and the whole thing goes up ten notches in power, presence, and performance... and Jimi, of course.

Great sense of time and place with the B-roll footage (including shots of Jimi, Mama Cass and others in the crowd, reacting to the stage), a whole disc devoted to out-take performances not used in the movie with super interesting stuff like Laura Nyro, Quicksilver Messenger Service, a very young Grateful Dead with a beardless Jerry and Pigpen on the organ, the whole Al Kooper/Blues Project/Electric Flag/Butterfield Blues Band conglomerate... a really young Steve Miller... even though it's easy to see why a lot of this stuff didn't make the cut (snipped beginnings and endings, some meandering and pointless jamming, some pretty out-of-tune singing, etc., etc.)

And if Tiny Tim singing wartime classics in the green room lit by only a cigarette lighter is your thing? That's in there too.

Not much of a surround mix to speak of although it all sounds pretty fantastic due to the age and circumstances! Will watch this one again.

Just finished watching Police: Certifiable for the 10th time maybe. It suffers from what most live concert videos do: constant quick cuts and edits to show off how often they can change camera angles (most of them focused on Sting). It sounds like an old-guy complaint but I've despised this style since I was a child because you never really get to focus on one thing for very long. In the old days it seemed like most live concert videos started out this way but would then calm down after a few minutes but now, it seems like everything is made to appease people with ADD/ADHD

The_Police_Certifiable_album_cover.jpg

Grateful Dead View from the Vault II

RFK Stadium June 14, 1991

EDIT I just realized I already posted this DVD once a few months ago #732 with a different picture off of my other system with the record playing equipment out in the den. Guess I'd better get out Vaults I, III and IV!

gratefful-viewII.jpg

Last edited:
RE: The Complete Monterrey Pop Festival

Just watched all of this for the first time, on Blu Ray... I have to say it was mighty enjoyable and better than I expected.
Not much of a surround mix to speak of although it all sounds pretty fantastic due to the age and circumstances! Will watch this one again.
Is the video really grainy when you watch it? Mine is. I thought it was some sort of "special effect" at first but the whole thing is like that.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

meat-austr2.jpg

Last edited:
Back