What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spell check but always felt it was u̶n̶e̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶... u̶n̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶... needless. The concensus... er, the consensusis that I should be able to manouver.... no, manuoever... manoeuvre my way around the English language fine without needing spell check.

German release (zone 16) of Metallica's 'Through the Never' - the only Blu-Ray version to be released in Atmos.

The video itself is very well done - staged and shot beautifully - and the performances are extraordinary. The sound recording and mix by Greg Fidelman of Music Mix Mobile (concert audio by long-time Metallica FOH engineer Mick Hughes) is exceptional, though I'm not sure who did the Atmos mix for this release. On-stage mix was by David Husby, Joseph Magee is listed as the Supervising Music Mixer, and there are seven (!) additional recording and mix engineers listed in the credits.

Anyway.., I really enjoyed the music and the overall production. But am I the only Metallica fan to wish they releasd a concert-only version of this show? A lot of work obviosuly went into it, and a full complement of film professionals, story board artists, actors, special effects etc in order to wrap the concert around a 'story' for the sake of dramatic presentation. Much of it detracts from the concert itself (which is part and parcel of the film, of course) so I found myself longing for a straight concert presentation utilizing all the great audio and video (film) production values.

That minor quibble aside, this is one of my new favorites. I hope my wife forgives me for cranking it while she was in the basement office trying to work. No floor or ceiling can keep my Focal Sub 6 from rattling the rafters ;-)
Just watched this for the first time. Awesome. I rented it streaming but need to buy it on blu-ray. Agree that it would be great to to get the uninterrupted concert, but we pretty much get about 90% as it is so I really can’t complain. And the set list hits my Metallica sweet spot. Love the closing credits over Orion.

I have spell check but always felt it was u̶n̶e̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶... u̶n̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶... needless. The concensus... er, the consensusis that I should be able to manouver.... no, manuoever... manoeuvre my way around the English language fine without needing spell check.
Well, I'm not a master in the English language so for me spellcheck is a must. :cool:

And the set list hits my Metallica sweet spot. Love the closing credits over Orion.

Enthusiasticaly agree on both points. The closing credits, with the boys on stage facing each other, no audience, brings an intimacy and closeness to Orion that's palpable. Since they had the stage and production built, and all those cameras and a full crew - it seemed to me that they could have prepared and produced more content, even if it was added post-film as Bonus Content.

The set list is near-prefect in my estimation - I've been a fan since Ride The Lightning and consider Master of Puppets my favorite Metallica record. The performance and mix of the title track on this concert film is just stellar - powerful and punchy, full of attitude and aggression. I think I only could love it more if Jason Newsted were playing bass on it.

1651285703619.jpeg

Rush - Time Machine 2011 Live in Cleveland on blu ray

Baaba Maal, Live at the Royal Festival Hall (Palm Pictures DVD, 1999; DD and DTS 5.1). I dug this out in honor of a dear, distant friend who's not long for this world; he was a superfan of Baaba Maal, and we saw him many times on several continents, both separately and together. I've had this DVD forever and didn't realize it had a surround soundtrack--and a very good one, too. BIG natural hall ambience, very enveloping mix. And Maal and his band are thrilling performers. "One of the first live concerts filmed, recorded and mixes specifically for DVD. Six digital cameras shot the concert, and the sound was recorded by using Sony 48-track digital equipment."
https://www.discogs.com/release/15278939-Baaba-Maal-Live-At-The-Royal-Festival-Hall

Since I double-posted and can't delete the 2nd one I'll post this...

Last edited:
... bluray.com ...
It's kinda funny, they rate the Gilmour with 3 "B"s but they rate Woodstock Director's with 4, to me probably the worst video quality BD I own, looks like they used a 40 grit sandpaper filter for effect. I own other BDs of films from that era that look great. I guess all in the eyes of the beholder.

Dayum! What a show!

Grateful Dead "Downhill From Here" Alpine Valley July 1989

View attachment 78831

In my younger days, I would make the pilgrimage to Alpine Valley many times.

While I wasn't at the Dead show(s) (I believe they played 3 nights in a row), I was there a month earlier to see Metallica and The Cult, supporting the ...And Justice For All album.

Good times.

Back