What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This concert is spectacular. The lineup of guest singers is the bomb. Steven Tyler really impressed me, too. Sure, he's some screaming (mostly) hard rock singer, but he really shines in this. It's so sweet that his parents are in the audience, too. Sting and Josh Groban do a striking duet, not to mention the stuff they sang on their own. YoYo Ma, Kathrine McPhee, John Mayer. Truly a star-studded event. And, of course, not to mention the amazing trumpet skills of Botti. Over 2 hours of immense talent.
View attachment 79776
Whole heartily agree! Found my used copy at Half Price Books just under $50…..Worth it to me!

I remember watching these gigs on TVE when they happened and I somehow got a hold of them...
Right now I am in the HARD ROCK night...great trip down memory lane
EXPO92_HardRock.jpg

Not entirely a concert... but this Suzanne Ciani documentary is fantastic; and on the Blu Ray version of it, there are a bunch of great extras including a Buchla concert from 1974 and one from 2017 (in quad!).

71Xrxq4uQQL._SL1500_.jpg

It can be streamed on Amazon Prime apparently, but as I said, the Blu Ray has a bunch of additional content that makes it very worthwhile. Similarly to the Sparks Brothers doc, I was aware of the artist prior to watching and intrigued enough to do so, but came out the other end a bona fide fan. Highly recommended—what a talent, what a beautiful soul, what grit. A true pioneer.

Also, holy moly, she's got three dates coming up in the Ireland, UK and the Netherlands!

https://www.bandsintown.com/a/65214-suzanne-ciani
True to my impulsive nature, wanting to shout my find to the world after watching this, I bought this too (cue eye roll from my wife, as if I need another music t-shirt):

https://www.djtees.com/products/suzanne-ciani-buchla-concerts-1975-t-shirt
😁

Haken - L-1VE (2xCD & 2xDVD-V both in DD 5.1), I discovered this in my pile of to-listen-to, opened but I don't think I ever listened as I don't remember it. I have nothing else by Haken, who are billed as progressive metal, but I'd put them as a bit of Riverside & Pineapple Thief, with some Porcupine Tree, and they're an English band - for some reason I'd thought they were German or American! The DD 5.1 is really good, very immersive/surround, things happening in the rear, only get the audience at the beginning/end of tracks. An incredible bunch of musicians (don't often see or hear 6 string Bass, 8 string guitars!).

Haken_L-1ve_Ft.jpg
Haken_L-1ve_Bk.jpg

Last night I had a couple friends over and we watched 2.

Eric Clapton - The Lady In The Balcony
Great accustic concert concert with excellent Atmos sound quality and immpressive video. A real treat for me.
63436.jpeg

The second was kind of an oldie but goodie.
Chicago II - Live On Soundstage.
Great fun and some of Chicago's best tunes.
DdWOUH9VwAAgPjt.jpg

I figure this is the definitive version of Borodin's Prince Igor opera. It's performed by the Maryinski (AKA Kirov) Opera and Ballet companies in the Maryinski theater in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1998.

One feature of this ballet is the Polovtsian Dances, which contains the melody for Stranger in Paradise. I have three different versions of this piece, and this is certainly worth watching again.

Attachments

• Prince Igor.jpg
    Prince Igor.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 0
Alestorm Live In Tilburg. Pirate Metal is a new genre to me me but this is a really fun concert. The Blu-ray which is part of this release is stereo only but the sound is very good for this kind of music and it's well filmed. Highly recommended but not for the easily offended as the language can get a little ripe.

Attachments

• AlestormLiveInTilburg20421453PLJ4_f.jpg
    AlestormLiveInTilburg20421453PLJ4_f.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
In honor of Joni's birthday, November 7, 1943: Joni 75: A Birthday Celebration (DVD, 2019). All these years I've had it sitting on the shelf, listening to the CD instead. Turns out the DVD is Dolby Digital 5.1. Standard concert recording: heavy in the fronts--well, heavy in the center--with reverb and applause in the rears. Still. Dreamland coming on!
1667886789453.png

Last edited:
Back